CLOSED: Veggie Tree Delight

Small but nice Thai restaurant, relaxed atmosphere. Formerly, Jackie Khan. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Thai, Take-out, Delivery
18 Falcon St
Crows Nest, New South Wales 2065
02-9966-8035

Open Mon-Fri 11am-3.30pm for Lunch and 5pm-10pm for Dinner, Sat-Sun 12am-3.30pm for Lunch and 5pm-10pm for Dinner

• Cash only

First Review by Adiewall
Ton
Ton
  • raw

Lovely Vegan Thai restaurant

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2012

We found this place because we went to the Organic supermarket on the other side of the road.

Lovely restaurant. Friendly staff. No MSG, unions or garlic and totally vegan.

This restaurant is very good at intimidating fish and meat. Once I double check with staff if there was not fish in my food, the prawns looked and tasted very... fishy.. Maybe it's because it's over 4 years now since I had the real thing, so I might be easily fooled. ;) A couple of days later I had a dish with soy chicken, I didn't fall for it again but I did compliment the cook. The main dishes are very big.

If you want to have lunch here, check out the prepared dishes for special prices.

Pros: Staff, Taste, No MSG Garlic and Unions.
Rubysue
Rubysue
  • non-vegetarian

LOVE IT!

5 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2011

I am not a vegetarian and I would eat lunch here everyday if I could! I always get the 3 choices with rice for $10 - it's too much for one person but I always eat it all because it is sooooooo delicious. The crispy soy with black pepper sauce is my favourite. I never knew mock meat existed until I ate here! I love it! The people who work here are lovely.

ddkong
ddkong

Definitely try it

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2011

I took myself and my family here for dinner last night. All of my family are meat eaters, aside from me, so being my birthday I wanted to be able to try all of the dishes for a change.

We were the only people sitting in the Veggie Tree Delight on a Wednesday night. So this made for quick service and audible conversation. They have a buffet style take away counter but we chose from the menu. I was slightly worried as we were the only people there and I really hoped my meat eating family liked it.

We ordered the masman curry, penang curry, veggie delight, a salad (i can't quite remember the name but it was one of the most popular) and pad see ew. My favourite was the salad but my whole family really enjoyed the food. They really enjoyed the masman and mockmeat. The penang was probably our least favourite but I'm eating it as left overs today so it's still good!

The owners were really nice and polite. The music was Thai and really pleasant. I would definitely go back, had a great experience.

Pros: Service, Food, Audible dinner conversation
Cons: It's not closer to home

Moonie95
Moonie95

Cannot Get Enough!

5 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2011

I may not be the best person to do a review because I have only been a vegan for a few months and I do not know enough about vegan food yet. But I do know that the food here tastes fantastic. I love it and can't get enough of it. So cheap too. Sadly they are over 30kms from my home, so I can only visit for lunch once a week. I really want to learn to cook like this, as I want to eat this sort of food every day, not just once a week. I credit this food with keeping me on the straight and narrow vegan wise, as I no longer crave meat. Instead I crave their fake meat dishes, which is absolutely bizarre as I have hated soy for years. On top of the good food, the people who work there are very nice and very friendly, which makes a nice change from most snobby Crows Nest eateries.

Pros: Fantastic food, Cheap, Friendly
Cons: Terrible parking in Crows Nest, Too far from Hornsby, Not open Sunday
sdalcorn
sdalcorn

Great food, great people, I *hope* they persevere

4 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2011

Note that this is NOT a negative review!!!

I remember visiting this restaurant when it was not Vegetarian/Vegan & for the last 5 months I have been working just around the corner.

I have been going out of my way to patronise this establishment since the day it changed to Vegan. I would estimate that I have had my lunch there every other day since. Even if I was working in the city and close to Newtown or Erskine Street, I would still head back to 'Jackie Khan' as much as possible. I have taken friends & family there at night.

Last night, I took my wife there for dinner and I was so disappointed. Firstly, there was not much available in the buffet - which we did not mind so much, but in hindsight, we were not offered the 'dinner specials' menu - which we saw later hanging on the wall. So we proceeded to order à la carte.

We were struggling to find a single dish we liked. I had a won ton soup and the dumplings were hard, solid dough with poor filling. The broth was simply pepper - I could taste nothing else - other than a drop or two of sesame oil.

Our stir fried 'Vegie Delight' was bland & boring and at $15.90 was a complete disappointment. The $14.90 Green Curry was visibly different as soon as it hit the table. It was an almost luminous green. It had a dominant flavour of coconut and very little curry flavour.

My wife had a craving for the 'Crispy Soy' from the buffet, so I asked if we could have a very small serving. What arrived was quite large and we were charged accordingly. Slipping under my radar was dry and tasteless rice. My (Taiwanese) wife was most unimpressed.

Unfortunately, the proprietor asked me how the food was & I've never been a very good liar, so I had to tell him. He took it remarkably well & he said that 'some customers' had complained about his food. I asked 'were those some customers regulars?' - No. 'were they vegan?' - No.

When we went to pay, the bill was $57.30 for two people. Honestly, I can eat at Bayview Thai (owner is also vegan) with a multi million dollar view for that. He charged me $50, because he knew we were not happy. I stress it's NOT about the money.

I write this because I fear that this proprietor is making 'knee-jerk' changes to his business based on a few comments from - omnivores & risks losing valuable regulars.

If you have been here and LOVE the 'Green Palace' type menu, please VOTE with your dollars and tell them what we vegans expect. They are LOVELY people & I dearly wish for them to succeed.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Philosophy
Cons: Price, Consistency, Aluminium Cookware
veg_lisa
veg_lisa

Great!

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2011

I go here every opportunity I can! Its a great thai vegan place, who's flavours remind me of Green Palace (King st Newtown). I only go here for lunch, as dinner is a little too pricey for me, however their lunch specials are great. You can get 1 choice with rice for $6!! In one of those medium sized rectangular take away boxes. Or 2 choices with rice for $8 in a large rectangular box. Or 3 choices with rice in the large rectangular box for $10 - same size however you get 3 curry choices.
Same idea as Green Palace and almost identical flavours.
Really yummy, and great service. However it is cash only, so make sure you dont go along expecting EFTPOS!

I urge everyone to try this place when you're in the area, its definitely worth it! :)

Pros: Great prices!, Kind service, Really yummy!
Adiewall
Adiewall

Great Local

5 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2010

This place turned vegan only recently, Hooray!
Great to see another vegetarian restaurant in the area.
I tried it out for the first time last night and it won't be the last.
All the favourite Thai dishes on the menu Tom Yum Soup, Green Curry, Pad Thai.
The dishes were fresh and tasty. The servings were very generous too. Service was quick and friendly.
All in all a great meal and value for money.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Veggie Tree Delight: