A 1950s San Francisco themed vegetarian restaurant, became all-vegan in 2016. Serves internationally inspired cuisine. Free Wi-Fi. Minimum price 150 hkd per person. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, International

Mon-Fri 12:00pm-2:30pm, Mon-Sat 6:00pm-9:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-3:00pm

• Cash only

First Review by sglcklch
Stevie
Stevie

Veggie SF, Hong Kong

Posted on 05 / 14 / 2016

Armed with the info they have converted to being all vegan I rocked along here today. Today was the 1st I've eaten here for around 2 years. It was thoroughly enjoyable.

Sharing with she-who-I-must-obey meant I got to sample soup, burger with salad and chips, and an all day breakfast. This was the best cooked brekkie I've had since moving to HK 2+ years ago. All of the food was great.

Its minimum 150 hkd spend per person. Cash only.

Updated from previous review on Saturday July 19, 2014

Pros: All vegan, Nice vibe
Cons: Not best for a tight budget
evZENy
evZENy

loved the place

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2016

I was hoping to avoid non-Asian vegetarian places, but the rain and an error in the address of a different restaurant made us walk into Veggie SF. The atmosphere is cute. There were 35 people sitting in a relatively small room, giving some extra coziness.
Food was very tasty.
The only complaint we have was the listing of one of the beverages - the kombucha turned out to be the Yogi Tea Kombucha (whatever they mean by eat) and not the fermented drink. We pointed it to the stuff. Not sure if they will change it to a better description.
I would recommend the pasta with the truffles.

Pros: location, coziness
Cons: the non-kombucha
Origamiwolf
Origamiwolf

Great place with cool atmosphere

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2016

The place can be really busy so better to not go in rush hour or too reserve in advance if that´s possible.
I had a huge burger with fries and for desert a great smoothie. The place is decorated with retro stuff in americana/San Fransisco style.

Well worth the tripp!

Pros: The burgers, Cool decor, Great variety
Cons: Crowdy, Hard to find

Veg4Jay
Veg4Jay

Terrific!!

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2015

The food was yummy--and there was a good selection! The venue was really fun and the staff were friendly. I enjoyed eating there very much.

Marie llama fan
Marie llama fan

Veggie SF

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2015

I was a little dissapointed by the food here but to be honest I think that was just my own personal tastes. The staff were really nice and it seems that maybe reservations are necessary also doesn't open till 6.30pm. We had starters thai skewers which I liked and crispy nuggets which were quite chewy and bland faux chicken nuggets....My partner ordered the steak for main which had a strange texture and he really didn't like the sauce which covered it (but think this was personal taste), I had a mushroom burger which I was ok but not special. I agree with other reviews which state that it is expensive for the quality of food. The decor is pretty cool though and there is a nice vibe inside.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good vibe - Stylish Place, Clean
Cons: Expensive food, Food not that exciting for price
nickb
nickb

Not great value or variety for vegans

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2014

Firstly, the positive...the interior of the restaurant is very cool with an American 50's diner feel and a fun atmosphere. The menu is quite extensive, but only a couple of dishes are marked as being vegan. The food is very 'American', with lots of dairy. To be fair, the wait staff are friendly and willing to help, and it seems that most items on the menu can be made vegan upon request. The food is decent but nothing special, and it is quite expensive for what you get (even by HK standards). Overall, I'd say this restaurant is just OK for a vegan.

Pros: Fun atmosphere & cool interior, Friendly & helpful staff
Cons: Very few vegan options, Quite expensive, Food just OK, not that healthy
sept152007
sept152007

fun place!

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

You will spend around 140 hkd in this place (not so cheap for hk veggie food). Interiors are fab! Food is ok, the leaves seemed so fresh. Will come back with a friend next time to share the big meal!

Tip: get the Portobello mushroom for the add on and not the mock meat.

Pros: good interiors, easy to get to, minimal mock meat
Cons: a bit expensive
Simon B
Simon B

A Gastronomic Gouging

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

At a minimum guaranteed spend of 150HK$ per head to book a table, this isn’t a cheap option for veggie dining in Hong Kong by any stretch. However, despite the cluttered charm of the pastiche 50’s diner décor, the quality of the meal I had certainly did not reflect the price tag. I went for one of the three available veggie burger options – portabella mushroom – expecting to find a large juicy fungal delight crowning a patty of some sort. But no: to my surprise a small, pallid portabella mushroom cozying with a slice of tomato between two dry, oversized slabs of bread WAS the burger in sum total. This was accompanied by three or four large hunks of potato that were already tepid on arrival, and a perfunctory mass of leaves serving as a salad. This was woeful even in comparison with the token veggie burgers found on budget menus in UK pubs, let alone fit for an expensive Western-style vegetarian diner in Hong Kong. Sadly, even the exceptionally friendly staff were not enough to relieve the sense of gastronomic gouging on this occasion.

Pros: Staff, Decor
Cons: Food, Price
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

OK - very American - fast food style fried dishes.

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2013

Vegans catered for - albeit somewhat grudgingly.

This is a very much a 'dairy restaurant'.

Junk food / comfort food - lots of deep frying - lashings of cream & butter.

Some friends like it, so I have to visit.

I have had some OK salads with pasta here.

The Fussili / Fuseli dish with cashews & olives is nice.

Monkess
Monkess

O-kay

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2013

Easy enough to find, this restaurant is a very nice and cozy place. But you can't eat ambiance! Their portions are very small for the kind of money being charged, we were hungry after ordering a burger each and a starter and dessert which we shared between 3. The size of the chocolate cake is quite absurd.

Go if you are in the area and need a quick snacky meal:) Good location!

Pitaya
Pitaya

Fabulous decor, few vegan options

Posted on 03 / 14 / 2013

I visited this restaurant in lunchtime and I had to queue for quite a while to be seated, as the restaurant was totally packed and many people had even made a table reservation. But this seems to be the situation in many restaurants in the central areas of Hong Kong at lunch hours.

The decor of the restaurant is fabulous 50's San Francisco style. They also have Peta magazines and leaflets, Buddhist literature and some vegetarian t-shirts to sell etc.

The menu has very few vegan options and the staff did not seem to have good knowledge about veganism or the ingredients of the dishes either. But they were still very friendly and helpful. There were also some menu items that weren't available during the lunch hours. Food that I finally had was ok, but nothing special.

The restaurant is situated at 10th floor of an office building, so it may be a little bit tricky to locate it, but overall the location is very central.

Pros: Fab decor, Friendly staff, Pro animal rights
Cons: Very few vegan options, Over crowded at lunch hours, Staff not very informed about veganism
sterlins
sterlins

Average food in a cool setting

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

The decor of this restaurant is very cool, and it's centrally located near tourist spots. However I felt the food wasn't anything special and was a bit expensive for the portion size. I was still hungry after we had finished our meal (we each ate one main). I probably wouldn't go back here but if I was in the area and needed a quick meal it would be fine.

Kim Baker
Kim Baker
  • raw

Great food Great vibe

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2012

This place offers up some delicious creative meals with personal friendly service. The small restaurant has a fun vibe and they will prepare your meal with any special requests you need. Also great for kids.

sglcklch
sglcklch

Not as good as before

Posted on 03 / 05 / 2011

This used to be in the listing, then it disappeared, and now it's back up again??

Anyway, I was among the early customers when they first opened and I've had dinner here couple of times so far. First time I was really impressed, interesting decor, great food, great value; then things went downhill, prices got higher, portions smaller, and the food just isn't that great anymore. My most recent visit was a total disappointment. I finally decided to try the beet burger that everybody raves about and had the cheese left out to make it vegan. The whole burger turned out dry and bland, the patty had no flavor whatsoever, very mushy texture too. To be fair, I hadn't expected it to taste the same as the cheesy version, but you would think at least the patty itself should also contribute to the alleged deliciousness. No, not a single bit, it's all about the cheese really. While they often change their menu putting new items in it, the popular lasagna and beet burger seem to always stay. I would suggest vegans get the Asian-inspired dishes as they tend to be vegan in the first place, and avoid the western ones that are veganizable as they just won't taste as good.

Pros: decor, menu changes often, egg/dairy marked
Cons: veganized dishes bleh, bit pricey for what you get

Dear Owner and Manager of Veggie SF: