Cambridge vegetarian restaurant and pizzeria, affiliated with Veggie Galaxy. Offers brunch on Sunday. No more monthly Monday night special per owner report Jan 2014. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Pizza, American, Beer/Wine,Take-out

First Review by will-travel-for-food

Dessert!

4 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2014

The staff were friendly and told me that pretty much anything on the menu can be made vegan. There was no room to sit when i arrived so i ordered my food to go. It took around 10 minutes.

I wasn't feeling adventurous so i just got the brown rice with butternut squash and mushrooms. It was pretty good. I also got a dessert (coconut citrus spongecake) which came from Veggie Galaxy, the vegan bakery, and this was mind-blowingly good.

Pros: Amazing dessert, friendly staff
Cons: Not many seats

Harvard Square

3 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2014

I was pleased with my meal at Veggie Planet. The place itself has a funky atmosphere - kind of run down. I got the pizza with the tofu mash which was really good. I would go again, but it's not the place I would go for a dinner with a group of people or for a nice dinner. I would stop in for lunch.

Update: I went around 4:45 PM and had a bad experience. There was no waiter. I walked in and waited 5 minutes and no one comes to seat me, there was no signage, and the employees walking around ignored me. I decided to sit down, hoping the waitress would come. I waited another 5 minutes and then went to find an employee. I had to get the attention of the cook and was told that I should come around a corner order there because it was before 5 PM. I can't believe they didn't have a sign out to indicate this! I sat back down and 2 minutes later a waitress came out to take someone else's order (before 5 PM). I got the BBQ tofu and was disappointed that it was regular tofu with a squirt of BBQ sauce on top, it wasn't marinated. I won't be recommending this place as I did before, there are better vegan places in the area.

Pros: Location
Cons: Seating, Lack of staff

Amazing

5 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

I had the Portobello RedHead pizza with Daiya vegan cheese and it was fabulous. Maybe a little too greasy, but it was no big deal.

Pros: Friendly staff, Near Havard University, Nice Vibe

Yum

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2013

Great pizza place, with a lot of options. I have never been disappointed with anything that I've ordered here. My first order was the grilled cheese pizza. This place is not 100% vegan but it is 100% vegetarian. Almost anything on the menu can be made vegan as well.

Solid, fun veg* options in Harvard Square

4 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2013

A relative rarity in the immediate area being all vegetarian, and easily vegan. The space is a little dark and on the small side, but not actually very small: probably has around 25 tables. Doubles as Club Passim, a great live music venue, at night.

We had a delicious pizza, easily made vegan, and the soup and pizza combo, all vegan. Tasty, friendly, and fairly quick. We'd definitely go back.

Prices are fine for the area: $7-8 for smaller portions, $11-$12 or so for large portions. We both left full.

Sure, I wish they were entirely vegan, but there is almost no option for this in Cambridge (or Boston for that matter) so I'll take what I can get.

Pros: easily made vegan, friendly, reasonable prices
Cons: not entirely vegan

Nice place

4 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2013

They are vegetarian, not vegan, but they are happy to prepare the vegan version of anything they have! They have a very small space, but the food is really good for an informal dinner. The TOFU is super tasty and the pizza dough very good.

Pros: Food , Cheap, Quick
Cons: Not enough space, No reservations

ok

3 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2013

We were there visiting Cambridge during the Easter weekend. The restaurant is near to Havard Square, kind of just beside the small alley of Havard Co-op. There are only around 4 tables in the restaurant. The restaurant is really small and definitely not a family oriented one. We did a take away of the only rice dish (my 3.5 yo daughter insisted of eating rice). It was really so so. Brown rice with stir fried pumpkin, mushroom and spinach. Since this is a pizzaria, the 2 pages menu have one whole page for pizza and salad/desert/soup/others on another page. So not a lot of selection if you are not a pizza lover. The chocolate cake was really good though. The total price was $18 for the rice dish and one cake.

Pros: Desert, Friendly staff
Cons: Small, Not much selection

Recommended!!

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2013

Cool atmosphere. Staff was very helpful. Food was great and reasonably priced. Highly recommended! I guess the only drawback is parking, but this comes from a Mainer not used to such issues. I would pay the $10 for parking again to here.

Pros: Staff, Choices, Price
Cons: Parking

fantastic pizza

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2012

Pizza is amazing. Creative toppings, huge portions, goods prices, funky atmosphere. I love this place.

Pros: portions, price, menu selection

Funky little veggie restaurant

4 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2011

Fantastic menu. Have been there a few times for Sunday brunch- tofu scramble and seitan sausage are the bomb! Can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Had lunch there today and the portabello redhead was terrific.

Pros: Excellent food, not too pricey
Cons: small space

Great for lunch

4 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2010

I've had lunch here couple of times and enjoyed pretty much all of them. It's got that earthy-crunchy, down-to-earth, college atmosphere that makes it a great place for lunch/brunch, and maybe a simple dinner too. Food is tasty, prices are very reasonable, and portions generous. Order large and the food comes as a huge pile. It's also really easy to get to, right in Harvard Square. Only downside is the seating, which can get a bit cramped.

Pros: good value, creative menu, location
Cons: seating

small place but big in flavour

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2010

I went to this restaurant with 3 people who were not veggie and we all loved what we had.
The tofu peanut curry was delicious as were the pizza's with just about any topping. with or without cheese , soya cheese or just plain. Being vegan mine was plain and it was so yummy.

the soup was also very good. If I was in Boston again I would definatly eat there.

Pros: great food, great quality, great price
Cons: very small

Good food

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2010

My partner and I really enjoyed this place. It's pretty small and we were at a cozy table right next to the door in January, so we were cold, but the food was very good. I had a the peanut curry on the coconut rice and definitely recommend it. Ditto to the other reviews-the brownies were awesome!

Pros: Very good food, interesting menu
Cons: Not a lot of seating

Not bad at all

4 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2010

Recently visited Veggie Planet, and wished I could have gone back to try some of their more eclectic offerings. Really enjoyed the Udon Noodle Peanut salad, which was fresh and yummy. Also had a pizza, with a great fresh base, but I wasn't too wild about the toppings. It was the Oddlot, and it sounded better than it tasted. Just too bland for me. Overall it was pretty good and an interesting place to visit.

Pros: Interesting menu
Cons: Hard to find

Small in size, Big in Atmopshere

3 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2009

Visited several times while living in Cambridge. This is a small joint and there is limited seating. Found the menu limited. The atmosphere and people working there are nice and friendly. Good central location in Harvard and also a music venue next door. When the music is going on some evenings then you may find walkin service a lot slower. Definitely experience at least once while in Cambridge.

Pros: Location, Atmosphere, Venue
Cons: Small, Parking, Busy

Great!

5 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2009

I got a pizza, lemonade, and brownie to go. It was a lot of food for $12, and provided me with both lunch and dinner. I had the "Oddlot" on pizza dough. Delish! The lemonade was really good, too. It's serve-yourself, so I mixed it with iced tea and water.

Let me reiterate - the brownie was REALLY good.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Lots of vegan options

Great Casual Eats

4 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2009

Went there for lunch and was very pleased. It is an order-here and pickup-there sort of place, but the food was excellent and very vegan-friendly. Vegan menu items are clearly marked as such and most items can be made vegan by substituting Teese or their custom tofu-mash for the cheese in the dish.

I tried a half-and-half personal pizza with tofu-mash on one side and cheddar Teese on the other. The tofu was superior, but the Teese gave the Mexican combo just a little bit more flavor that made it great. One small pizza and drink is enough for lunch, but they've also got salads and soups.

There is music some nights, but that is treated differently from the restaurant. Not exactly sure how it works, so check their schedule to make sure you get a night with or without music according to your preference.

Pros: tasty, kid-friendly, eco-conscious
Cons: cramped seating

Great Vegan Pizza

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2009

I visited this restaurant in August with my daughters. We were there very early evening. The place is tiny but the service is great. Everyone was very friendly. We tried 3 different pizzas, all with vegan cheese. They have some interesting flavors - loved the peanut curry and portabello redhead. Also had a fantastic vegan brownie with soy ice cream. I would definitely go back to this restaurant.

Pros: vegan cheese pizza, friendly staff
Cons: very small

so delicious!

5 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2009

after visiting boston, my partner and i wanted to try this restaurant. it was totally confusing to get there, but so well worth it. the pizza was amazing, (we got the oddlot and bbq seitan). the crust was so good!!!
if you are in the area it is well worth trying!

Pros: excellent food, generous portions, friendly
Cons: hard to get to for out of towners

Good choice for lunch

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2009

We found the place busy and had to wait a bit. After our order was taken, we had a forty minute wait because our order got mixed up. However, this type of thing can happen and it didn't spoil the great food experience and the portions were filling. There was live music when we arrived which added a bit to the experience. Despite the wait, I would eat there again.

Pros: Good food
Cons: Crowded, Staff were too busy

Unusual, but not that exciting

3 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2009

Located in a music venue, I have always visited this place at lunchtime. It has an interesting range of pizzas, many of them vegan, and none of them run of the mill. They also have a system whereby you order at the counter, and they call you through to pick up your food when it's ready.

I chose the Vegan Oddlot - "fresh tomatoes, spinach, basil tofu ricotta, Calamata olives,and fried garlic", and my partner had the Unsafe'n Sound - "fresh tomatoes, fresh mozarella, asiago, basil and fried garlic... laced with hot chile sauce" with spinach. We both drank the home-made lemonade.

I never heard anyone be called, ever. Fortunately, my partner could. The pizzas were pretty good, but not overwhelmingly fantastic. The vegetables were fresh, and reasonably tasty and the dough was thin and crispy, as it should be. They just weren't as exciting as you'd expect. The lemonade is good and refreshing.

You are expected to self-clear, though they don't tell you this, or have any signs explaining. Nor is it that obvious where everything goes - my partner worked it out by watching other people.

Located in a basement and not obviously accessible to wheelchair users.

Pros: original pizza, excellent lemonade, okay value
Cons: odd systems, which are not explained, inaudible calls

Excellent Pizza

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2008

Ate dinner there last night and my wife and I shared two vegan pizzas. The peanut curry and the blond on blond (with mods). Amazing little pizza joint with some sort of live band in the other room playing folk music. Wait staff was friendly and attentive. Location is really close to Harvard Station off the Red Line.

Pros: Location, Price, Taste
Cons: Small
Guest
Guest

Tasty food in a unique environment

4 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2008

Great little place, its small but cozy. The often have live music (when I went they had a lively Celtic band) Be sure to order the kale and lentil soup and the mexican entree on flat bread. Staff was very engaging; in fact, I was a little sick that evening and my waitress brought me a handful of ginger chews from her own personal stash. They don't serve any alcohol.

Pros: Delicious options, friendly staff, eclectic environment
Cons: no alcohol (which could be a pro or con)

good pizza

4 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2008

mostly vegetarian but they offer delicious tofu ricotta cheese

cash only and very limited seating

good pizza! big portions

Pros: gourmet, good prices, live music
Cons: limited seating, no parking, cash only

Unique and Scrumptious!

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2007

While visiting Boston, we stumbled upon this place and were so happy we did. It was a Tuesday night, there was live music in the club next to it and it didn't bother me at all...in fact it was a welcome addition to the atmosphere in the cafe.

I ordered two things (the vegan caesar salad and the "small" romesco noodle dish) and found out that the portions are very generous. We ended up boxing up leftovers. The food was yummy and presentation was wonderful. It's not all vegan but is vegan friendly if you ask to substitute things.

I wish I could go back to try the brunch. I don't agree with the other reviews...because we had excellent service. The atmosphere is casual and friendly. I can see how the seating can get cramped in the small cafe area but it was fine for us at the time we were there. The food was just really good and I would recommend it to anyone looking for big yummy portions on a small budget.

Pros: generous portions, deliciously good, good value

Pizza is not so exciting and food is kind of bland

3 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2007

Maybe I'm spoiled by the vegan pizza at the Nice Slice in Providence, but I don't think that the pizzas at Veggie Planet are that great. I like a lot of flavor and spice, and the pizzas and their other vegan dishes here have tasted pretty bland to me. I did go to a cool Boston Vegetarian Society event here around Valentine's Day, though. Didi Emmonds cooked a four-course prix-fixe vegan meal for the event. She's not normally the chef at Veggie Planet, however... She was only there to cook for the special meal (when the restaurant was closed to the public). Basically, the recipes at Veggie Planet (pizza or otherwise) taste like they were cooked from a recipe created in the early stages of 1960's-1970's hippie veganism. They would benefit from using more and varied ingredients and spices. An A+ for effort, though!

Pros: it's vegetarian, counter help was nice
Cons: bland food, unmemorable flavors
  • tablemoonspoons tablemoonspoons

this is a very good review, i dont think i will even bother writing my own.

Dear Owner and Manager of Veggie Planet: