This Chinese vegetarian food restaurant opened in late 2008 by the former partner of Happy Family and Happy Veggies restaurants in Rowland Height (similar menu); was named Gourmet Vegetarian Restaurant. Uses many food ingredients imported from Taiwan and China. Many faux meat dishes. The setup is modern and nice. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Japanese, Take-out, Asian
140 W Valley Blvd 222 (2nd floor 99 Ranch Market plaza)
San Gabriel, California 91776

Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:30pm

First Review by pockymonster

um no

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

This place is not very good at all. Ordered a hot pot and it was overpowered with ginger. Told the waitress there was to much ginger and she said there was no ginger in the dish(the menu even stated there was ginger in it) then she told us our other dish was mad with the same sauce. Nope the sauces were completely different. Anyways they replace the hot pot with another equally bad tasting plate.

Pros: big menu
Cons: taste, parking

wonderful food

Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

We got here at 15the min to closing. the food was hot fresh and YUMMY!

Pros: nice portions , tea is hot &it a nice pot size , asked us if we were going to sharr
Cons: we got here so late &I got a little rushed

Another Vegetarian Chinese Food Option

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Gourmet Vegetarian Restaurant review.

The owners are previous partners at the Happy Family restaurant and then Happy Veggie Garden, both in Rowland Heights. Now they've come out and found a new partner to open up this venture. It's been established for over 2 years now, and from what I saw, the business was pretty good.

The restaurant is located in a busy shopping plaza, it's located on the second floor in a large space. The interior is nice designed with cool air conditioning for these hot San Gabriel valley days.

The menu is very similar to the other veggie Chinese restaurants in the area and nearly identical to what the owners' previous restaurants offered. There are many pages of vege mock meat dishes, some tofu meals, hot pots, stir frys, fried things, soups, and others.

My husband and I tried:
- a small dish of chilled seaweed (seasoned with oil, salt, and slices of fresh red chili
- dried stir fried green beans (does not come with any rice)
- crispy vege seafood rolls (nori rolled over a beancurd sheet that's filled with some vege stuff, then deep fried
- fried rice noodle with pumpkin

Complimentary hot jasmine tea was served with our meal.

Overall, I thought the flavors of the food was pretty good, and the veggies were fresh (though conventional and non-organic). However, we found every dish to be a bit too oily for our palate.

If you come at lunchtime, you can order from their inexpensive lunch specials menu where you get rice and soup with each main entree order.

Pros: quick service, large variety, comfortable setting
Cons: too much oil, conventional ingredients only

• herbivore

My default go-to veggie joint!

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2011

I can't believe I haven't written a review for this place yet since I am here all the time! That in itself is testament that it's reliably good and personally, a place for comfort food, and my mom doesn't have to lift a finger :) I've already used up my frequent eater card and gotten the discount. It's a happy place to eat anything on the menu, keeping veggieheads and meat eaters happy. To think of a couple of my favs, the pumpkin and tofu is simmered to a melt-in-your-mouth stage, and I love having an almond milk puff to finish off my meal. Everything I've tried here is good so ironically, I don't have specific recommendations other than that. Just depends on what you're in the mood for :) Staff is nice, it's simple and not high end dining if that's what you're looking for, but on a regular day, I'm always up for a meal there.

Pros: reliable, delicious, reasonable prices
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Fresh and tasty

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2009

A non-veg Chinese friend of mine suggested going here as she likes it. It's on the second floor in a large shopping center on the corner of Valley and Del Mar. There's a huge parking lot as well as underground parking, but it was still packed full since it was a weekend in December. The restaurant space is large and nicely laid out.

The menu notes the dishes where egg is added, which is helpful, but we were still concerned about the mock meats. My friend asked in Mandarin about it, but was just told there's no egg, so I didn't really get an answer about whey, etc., so we just decided not to have any mock meats which was fine since there were plenty of other options.

We started with a soup listed on the "new items" menu, but it was all in Chinese, so we confirmed no egg. It was delicious! It had all sorts of things in it - bean curd, wheat gluten puffs, chinese yams, chestnuts, and more. We also got the minced vegetable lettuce wraps which were a hit with our other non-veg friends. All the filling was already marinated, so there was no sauce to drip on our hands.

For the main entrees, we got crispy shittake mushrooms, lotus root with sugar peas, bean curd with napa cabbage, rice cakes with vegetables, kung pao shrimp and some special fish dish. We stayed away from the mock meat ones, but our friends were pleased with them. The thing that stuck me was how fresh and colorful the vegetables all were. It was a delicious meal and the fortune cookies were vegan!

Pros: fresh and tasty, large space, friendly staff
Cons: eggs in many dishes

Good Memories

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2009

As a kid I always went to Happy Family restaurant, and Gourmet Vegetarian is actually Happy Family but reincarnated! They have all the staples, and favorites! Lunch specials come with Chinese dinner rolls, brown rice or porridge or Hot and Sour Soup. The dishes aren't too oily like many Chinese restaurants. I don't know the names of the things I ordered because I only know them in Chinese and my mom always orders, but everything we got was good, so you should definitely try it!

Pros: Not too oily, Brown Rice! :), Lunch Specials!
Cons: Kinda pricey for what it is- not lunch $

Dear Owner and Manager of Veggie Paradise: