Vegan restaurant serving Vietnamese food. Price: Inexpensive more-less

sirhin
sirhin

Decent

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

After skimming through other reviews, I'd like to point out that this was my second time here and my family that lives in the area visits somewhat regularly. I was in LA visiting family and this place has awesome Bi Rolls - sorry, the exact Vietnamese name escapes me at the moment. I haven't tried anything else other than the soft (but cooked rolls) with the filling inside and the aforementioned Bi rolls... I prefer my mom's soft cooked ones, though.

Sure, the place isn't the cleanest and yes, the people there don't seem to know too much English. However, because it's just one of those Asian places that has its own regulars, I didn't expect American service. I expected service from one of those run down places in Asia. Basically, everything is largely self-helped. You go in and if you're lucky, someone is there to ask how many and they'll gesture at a suitable table. Then they'll drop some menus on said table and leave you at it after asking what you'd like to drink.

If you're expecting service you would find at a nice, sit-down restaurant, this is not it. I personally found the service to be lacking, especially when she practically tossed the menus on the table, but I didn't come for the service, I came for my vegetarian Vietnamese food fix.

Our server/waitress is bilingual in Vietnamese and Cantonese and once she found out my table knew both languages, she switched between the two fluidly.

I used to work as a waitress and I cannot find the "good" in their lack of decent service, however... food wins over. I give them a 3.3... but that rounds down to a 3.

Pros: Bi Rolls
Cons: Bad service, Could be cleaner
Its_Just_Me
Its_Just_Me

I tried it....

Posted on 11 / 06 / 2010

Against the previous reviewers I went there a couple months back. I figured that the rude employs were just a cultural thing....

I was kind of right. They warmed up to me after a bit of chatting with them. The place wasn't too bad. some tables needed to be picked up but no real mess at the time I went there.

The food I ordered to go as I was on my way out of town..... WOW it was really good.

On my return back into town I was craving it again. Caught in traffic I pulled off and drove right back there.

As I walk in the door I notice an employee with a deli slicer at the way back of the customer seating area slicing something. "Prep work in the dining area"

My first reaction was to walk right out. Half way back to my car I remembered the great teats of the curry and pho beef stew and I turned right back around to give them another chance. As I started to reopen the front door I big letter "C" just about smacked my in the face.

I couldn't get back to my car fast enough feeling shame and discus that I had eaten there just days before.

Hope they can clean up the place because I sure did enjoy it, knowing the health standards that they keep I shall not return till they make it to an "A"

Willing to accept that day may never come.

Pros: um , um , um
Cons: health standard

Dear Owner and Manager of Veggie Life Restaurant: