Serves vegetarian Chinese cuisine including an array of mockmeat dishes, spring rolls, tofu, and vegetable dishes. Large menu. Quiet, calm environment. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Asian, Take-out, Delivery

First Review by pandora_13
Antonia
Antonia

Just a town away

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2014

Great food... Service was Not the best! But I must say they know what they are doing BYOB very casual and everyone was nice. I wasn't impressed with their "Indian samosa" not that it was bad but it wasn't Indian... More like a spring roll, soup was amazing. I'm a huge veggie fan but this place knows how to cook tempeh and the seitan orange chicken was amazing.... I'll prob do take out or lunch but I'm going back...

Pros: Close to home and decently priced, Amazing flavors , Totally vegan
Cons: Mostly meat substitute dishes, Very noisy , Very messy
KatelynCalautti
KatelynCalautti

favorite Chinese

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2014

My boyfriend took me here on our first date (I was vegan at the time) and it blew me away. Hands down the best vegan Chinese food...actually just best Chinese food ever. We come back on special occasions and it is always a treat.

HannahP96
HannahP96

Our favorite Chinese restaurant ever

5 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2014

Veggie Heaven is reliably delicious, and their menu seems to add a page every time we go there--it's truly massive. In addition to Chinese food and American food, they have Japanese, Indian, Vietnamese, and Indonesian dishes, plus smoothies, juices, baked goods, etc. Their exotic mushroom soup is a perfect starter, and their vegan cakes are great finishers. I wish we lived closer so we could eat there every week.

Pros: Enormous menu, Great food, Efficient service

baruchadam
baruchadam

one of the best Vege restaurants in NJ

4 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2014

Varied menu that does not disappoint. Competes with Kaya's Kitchen for the status of the best NJ vege spot.

Pros: family friendly, large space, kosher
VeganChic1121
VeganChic1121

Greedy and Hostile Owners

2 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2013

When the credit card system stopped working, Doris (the manager of Veggie Heaven in Denville) demanded that customers either walk down the street to get cash from the ATM machine or provide license numbers along with credit card numbers to have their charges made later. She threatened, "Either you go to the ATM or you give me your personal information!" She later called the cops on long-time customers for politely declined to provide the license number but agreeing to leave the credit card number. Horribly greedy and unethical service/management.

There is NO virtue is supporting places like this.

Food wasn't all that great either.

Cons: Horrible Staff, Horrible Owners, Poor Service
Sally K
Sally K

Extensive vegetarian menu-fantastic lunch special!

5 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

My husband and I love this special place for it's wide variety of vegetarian and vegan dishes. Our favorites are the "Chick'n" with cashew nuts and vegetables, the vegetarian duck selections, their soups, and their Moo Shu Basil rolls. One omni-eating friend who joined us for dinner said in a loud voice "this is Chicken!" and alarmed some of the other customers - but fear not, it is definitely vegetarian or vegan. She just couldn't believe how delicious it was, and is considering trying other vegetarian meat alternatives. They also serve fresh squeezed juices, including carrot. I highly recommend this restaurant for vegetarians and vegans because there is such an extensive menu. Besides the Chinese menu, and even vegetarian sushi (!), there are also yummy house specials like Swedish "Meatballs". Parking is around the corner in a free municipal lot. Attentive waiters.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 28, 2012

Pros: Excellent Veggie menu, Nice vibe/good value, Attentive staff
Cons: parking is around corner
Jett Setter
Jett Setter

Could have been better.

3 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2012

Food was just so-so. The fried food ("chicken legs") tasted a little chemically. Not sure if it was the oil or not. Carried through the "meat". The crispy beef was inconsistent also. Some was crispy while other pieces were soft and a little slippery even, also with the same chemical note. The hot tea was just slightly warm.

Wait staff was not very out going, very quiet. All neighboring tables treated the same. Like they were tired/sleepy.

Brought a friend to try the vegetarian experience. Not the best for the first time. Maybe it was just a bad night for them.

I eat at vegetarian restaurants across the country very frequently. Veggie Heaven doesn't place at the top of the list, but it's not at the bottom either.

johncena0410
johncena0410

best place ever

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2011

asian cuisine has always been my favorite i am so thankful for this place i took full advantage when i was in new jersey this summer and went a couple times every week. sad that i have to wait till june to eat there again :( the orange vege chicken is amazing i cant taste the difference neither could my omnivore grandma she even thought it was real and i got all worried and asked and they were very polite.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, peaceful
Guest
Guest

Heavenly Experiences

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2010

Veggie Heaven was my first experience at a vegan restaurant and with that said the bar was set very, very high. Five years later I still believe this to be my favorite eating spot. With an amazing selection of not just Asian cuisine (which is Veggie Heavens main focus) but entrees and appetizers spanning many cultures that will fit anyones taste. The friendly staff is always on top of their customers and the food comes out in a very reasonable amount of time. Although there are so many great dishes available, I will use a statement I overheard from a nearby patron describing the Pecan Chicken entree. The quote states "It's like a dance party on your tongue." I agree and this statement could be said for just about every meal on the premises. I strongly suggest this restaurant to anyone and everyone vegan or not.

Pros: Selection, Price, Environment
Cons: Not in my backyard, Don't own it
EB456
EB456

Great Chinese Food!

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2010

Awesome tasty food that stays true to that chinese food we used to eat as omnivores. "Chicken" & garlic sauce is spicy and amazing. One thing I love is that they use mostly seitan instead of tofu bot don't worry because the have plenty of gluten-free dishes as well.

Pros: Reasonable Prices, Generous Portions
Leighbug
Leighbug

Perfection

5 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2009

I love it here. The food is always fresh and delicious and the lunch special keeps the cost down. Their desserts are also very tasty (I could live on their strawberry smoothies and I can't believe there isnt cheese in the cheesecake!). They also seem to avoid using bad food additives, which is a huge personal conern for me. They always provide service witha smile and a homey atmosphere. The location in Denville is prettier, but the food in Teaneck is simply superior.

Pros: Womderful Meals, Excellent Service, location across from ample parking
Cons: could use renovating
calead910
calead910

Always delicious!

5 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2009

Veggie Heaven is a strong staple in my vegetarian existance. Without fail it is always delicious. I've been going there for at least 12 years and though my attendance has dropped from 2 times a week to about 2 times a month it's always my recommended choice when someone asks me a great vegetarian place. It has something for everyone. I have seen the prices increase over the years but you can still keep it under 30 for two people and feel satisfied. I find the prices to be reasonable mostly because you get what you pay for at Veggie Heaven. Service is always on point. Top 5: DIM SUM, Scallion Pancakes deluxe, Hot and Sour Soup, Autumn Rolls, Pecan Chicken.

Pros: EXCELLENT FOOD, SERVICE, ALWAYS OPEN
Cons: Too far from where I live now!
pandora_13
pandora_13

I Can't Believe It's Not... Chicken!

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2007

Veggie Heaven is undoubtedly my favorite mock meat Chinese food restaurant. The best of their three locations, I return here again and again. The menu is incredibly extensive, and they always have wonderful specials. There's even a sushi bar! As an appetizer, try the barbecued boneless spare ribs, the lobster ball skewers, or the chicken rolls. All will satisfy. Their dim sum is amazing as well. Favorite entrees include basil chicken, sesame chicken, seafood hot pot, and vegetarian duck. The chicken dishes definitely rule here. The food is always well prepared - never greasy, with vegetables always cooked to perfection. With a menu as large as theirs, you're bound to find a few duds - the roasted duck sticks out in my mind - but that's to be expected. This place is definitely worth a return visit, every time. Plus you can bring omnivores here, and heck, they probably won't believe it's NOT chicken. (No fear - 100% vegan.) Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

Pros: well prepared, not greasy, amazing menu/selection, incredibly tasty food!

Dear Owner and Manager of Veggie Heaven: