Serving organic vegetarian cuisine since 2002. Features daily specials with a touch of India, salads and soups, sandwiches and wraps, fruit frappes, acai & matcha smoothies, fresh juices, and vegan cakes. Pizza and pasta night on Friday. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Delivery
131 Eleanor Roosevelt (Fenando I, off F.D. Roosevelt / Hato Rey)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
787-754-6959

Open Mon-Fri 11am-3:30pm, Fri 6pm-9:30pm.

First Review by laveganguy

Delicious Vegan Food with Friendly Service

4 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2012

We went to Veggie Garden on a Friday night which, apparently, is the "busy night" since they do their once-a-week "Pizza and Pasta Dinner" that night. It was overly crowded and they clearly were understaffed to handle the crowd. Sadly, we saw groups of customers, one after the other, walking away when confronted with the long wait.

That all said, the food was delicious. We went with the Pizza/Pasta Specials. We had the "ham" and pineapple pizza with a side of the pasta with mock-meat. The mock-meat was of a lesser quality than what we get in The States, but it was tasty, if texture-challenged. The pizza, made with Rice-Cheese, was spectacular. Thin-crust and a yummy tomato sauce.

We ate with a friend of ours who is an omnivore and he loved all of the dairy-based food he ate as well.

This is NOT located in Condado as the map on Happy Cow suggests. It was a 10-15 minute cab ride from the hotels in Condado beach, but well worth the trip.

Pros: Full Vegan Menu, Inexpensive, Delicious
Cons: Slow service, location

Great vegetarian food in San Juan

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

I was at Veggie Garden in February 2012 and was blown away by good the food was. It's a small operation run by some Hare Krishna followers. Service was ok. Food was really good. It's actually a block away from another vegetarian place called "La Zanahoria," where the food (in my opinion) is not nearly as good as here. Would highly recommend Veggie Garden.

Pros: excellent food
Cons: expensive

Best place to relax and eat some great food!

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2011

As stated before in another review, Puerto Rico is not vegan friendly AT ALL. So places like veggie garden are vegetarian and vegan secret hideouts where you can go and ask if the special is vegan and they won't look at you as if you have just spoken in chinese or arabic. The menu is clearly labeled when something is vegan or not and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. whenever I feel like i have had an extremely stressful and hard day (which happens a lot) i go to veggie garden to escape and eat some of the tastiest vegan food around.

Pros: excellent tasty food, friendly staff, peaceful setting
Cons: small, location

Fantastic!!

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2010

Puerto Rico is a vegetarians nightmare- very few vegetarian places and no veggie options at other places. I survived a couple days on rice & beans & steamed vegetables until I finally had enough time to find Veggie Garden. And finding Veggie Garden is challenging, even with GPS. Luckily it only takes one good place to keep from starving, and Veggie Garden is the place in PR. The owner, Nancy, is an absolutely lovely woman who seems like an old friend in minutes. I had the days special and I really don't know what it was other than it tasted Indian and had perfectly prepared curry tofu in it. It was not on the menu. It was very flavorful and available vegan or vegetarian. I also had a blended drink that was a mixture of multiple fruits and vegetables. Sorry I can't be more descriptive- the line was long and I don't speak much Spanish so I just got the special she was describing to other patrons.

Pros: Owner is very nice, Great food
Cons: Extremely difficult to find

Vote BEST place on island

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2010

The place is a needle in a haystack! Great Vegan Food, Fresh, and most of all tasted amazing and made us feel good. I'd vote it the best Vegetarian place on the Island by far. We've told a friends, when they visit Puerto Rico they must go to Veggie Garden.

Pros: amaxing tastes, variety vegan options, feel good food

Amazing Food and People!!!

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2010

Hi Nandini!!! Its Jonathan and Cristalle. We just wanted to thank you SOOO MUCH for all the love and light we received from you during our stay at El Skate House across the street from your wonderful Veggie Garden. It was such a pleasure being in your company and eating your yummy delicious food everyday. You truly are a beautiful and special person and we will never forget you. We will certainly be seeing you next time we come to PR, and we cant wait!! We Love You sooo much, take care of your sweet self and see you soon. Muah!!! p.s. - Thanks again for everything!!!! Jon Ortiz - professional rollerblader

Pros: EXCELLENT Food, AMAZING Staff, Best Matcha Frappe EVER
Cons: none

Fresh Fantastic Flavors!

5 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2010

I am a doctor specializing in preventative medicine. I am a firm believer that foods can heal. Since I have been eating at Veggie Garden feel healthy and energized. I've been recommending my clients to Veggie Garden, who report to me similar results. Not only is their food healthy the flavors are fantastic...out of this world! There is nothing close to this anywhere in Puerto Rico.

Pros: fresh vegetables, excellent flavors, organic salads
Cons: not opne on weekends, need a second location

Delicious Healthy Lunch Everyday!

5 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2008

I work at Clinicas la Americas not far from Veggie Garden Cafe. And thank God! This is the best food ever. The Special of the Day is fantastico!!Generous portions and variety and ummmmm soo good and good for me too. My cholesterol dropped back to the"safe zone". I have more energy and feeling great now. Thank you Veggie Garden! A real blessing.

Pros: generous portions, menu offer great variety, many vegan opitons
Cons: parking

What happened??

3 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2008

This used to be my favorite restaurant.The daily specials were always imaginative. My wife and I visited daily but now menu is always the same and portions are smaller. It's still good food but it was great.

Pros: good food
Cons: small portions, slow service

Vegilicious Pizza!!

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

Wow! One yesterday I visited Veggie Garden Cafe for their Friday Night Pizza Night. In a word vegilicious!! First of all I haven't had pizza in years, since I discovered I was alergic to gluten. BUT then I heard this restaurant made Organic Spelt Crust, so thought I'd check it out. Thin cruchy crust, fresh veggies in abudance. home made sauce ummm! I ordered a personal ... which is anything but... it had 6 pieces! My wife had the regular organic whole wheat crust.. also thin & crunchy BUT sh is a vegan and ordered hers with rice cheese.... and also many veggies! A must place! The start serving at 6 pm and only on Friday nite. Only bummer is that they don't offer these pizzas every day!

Pros:

A friendly, if whacked-out oasis in San Juan

3 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2007

We went on a Friday night, which is "pizza night" & they stay open till 11pm. Two vegans, two vegetarians. The owner was extremely friendly, and did her best to make us feel welcome. I have to say that aside from that, though, the service was not great- everyone just seemed REALLY spaced out- like how they kept bringing us 3 of everything- plates, water, etc, even though there were 4 of us... and how they forgot the cow cheese on the non-vegans' pizza (they ran out of fake cheese for us vegans, but substituted pesto, which was good). The pasta was fine, but nothing special, and the pizza crust was disappointing- like a pre-made pita-type of thing. But overall it's better than just about anything else you'll find in San Juan on a Friday night if you're veggie.

Pros: Veggie food- very rare in S.J.!!!, Tofu triangles are good, Easy access from Roosevelt train/M1 bus
Cons: Spaced-out service, O.T.T. Hari-Krishna atmosphere, A bit pricey

awesome

5 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2007

Great food, incredibly nice family that runs it, good atmosphere, good karma.

Pros: food, staff, garden
Cons: difficult to find 1sttime, need more vegan items, no vegan deserts ;(

Dear Owner and Manager of Veggie Garden: