Veggie Galaxy

Vegetarian diner and bakery. Serves modern takes on the classic American diner food. Its vegan bakery remains open all day. Opened since Aug 2011. Affiliated with Harvard Square's Veggie Planet. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Bakery
450 Massachusetts Ave (Central Square)
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139
617-497-1513

Open Mon-Thur 7am3pm, 5-10pm, Fri 7am3pm, 5-11pm, Sat 9am-3pm, 5-11pm, Sun Sat 9am-3pm, 5-10pm.

First Review by massta
roivoire
roivoire

Nice surprise!

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

I spotted this place while I was looking for 02, and I was not disappointed for settling! The clerk was super nice, and I got the half pizza and salad - both specials of the week, and they were delicious. A ton of food, BBQ tofu pizza was crispy and tasty, chickpea and broccoli salad was fresh and fun. Self seating in a large cafeteria-style dining room with a performance stage, I would definitely come back for brunch when bands and play and they serve mimosas. Yum.

Pros: reasonable prices, helpful staff, super vegan options
Cons: not for fancy diners, lots of students (could be a pro?)
coling
coling

Over rated

2 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2014

Came here with open mind left with closed one, food is over priced for what is really a veggie burger place, we could not talk as the music was cranked right up to pain territory, staff are quite pleasant though ,, be warned as in most of USA the price on the menu is dishonest and deceptive. I come from Australia where the price listed is the final price but here the price does not include the various taxes then you must tip 18%? so you think it is reasonable at first glance but no. Actually more $$ than Australia where staff are paid twice the wages in USA so who gets the money anyway galaxy is quite average in food and I actually had a better veggie burger at Burger King the next day

Pros: Seating, Staff, Drinks
Cons: Price , Valua, Taste
mmmscott
mmmscott

it was okay

3 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

We were hoping this place would be really good. the coffee was fair. the hash browns were awful per my husband so I didn't try mine. I had the tofu omelet. it was greasy. too much oil. my toast was stale too. my tea was excellent. my husband who is not vegan did not like his omelet. said it had no taste. I had the vegan cinnamon roll and it was pretty good. I loved having lots of options.

Pros: lots of vegan options, great location
Cons: expensive, not much taste, too greasy
frozencemetery
frozencemetery

I must be confused

3 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

The food was good, though I think this location might be undersized for the demand it attempts to cater toward. None of it was particularly novel, though, and as it was on the expensive side we have not been back.

Pros: replicates diner feel well, good food
Cons: quite crowded, expensive
Babette
Babette

My favorite spot in Boston

5 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2014

I fell in love with Veggie Galaxy and went there twice in a row. The menu is extensive, pretty much everything can be made vegan, and all desserts are vegan... you rarely get to see such a large selection of decadent desserts.

I highly recommend :
-The fish n' chips
-The Boston Cream Pie

Pros: Nice staff, Nice vibe, Desserts!!!
Cons: Sometimes you have to wait

adc1984
adc1984

Great

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2014

Great vegetarian diner with a lot (possibly all can be customised) of vegan options.

Pros: Vegan, Good location
joelrama
joelrama

great food and style

5 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

Interestingly they don't stress it on the menu but anything can be veganized. Great tofu omelets. House cheese didn't have much flavor.

Alliz
Alliz

A Reliable Place to Eat

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2013

4 stars for food taste/variety
3 stars for value for money
5 stars for customer service

Definitely on the pricier side of vegan dining in Boston with a spin on diner style food. The menu variety is vegan friendly, but you must ASK for substitutes.

I prefer to stop there for a personal coffee/cake moment with a book than take on a full meal, but if you are willing to buy a meal, go for the burgers!

Great place to stop on a lunch break and dash for the No.1 bus back to Boston. Always a reliable place to eat....

Pros: Great vegan bakery, Tasty/healthy fast food, Genuinly friendly staff
Cons: Pricey main dishes, Terrible name
BostonVegan
BostonVegan

Great comfort food

5 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2013

Had an excuse to eat at Veggie Galaxy again. Where else can a vegan get a "milk" shake and an omelet? Everything was delicious. My sister had the mac & cheese; someday I plan to get that (the vegan version). We were at the counter and the cooks were fun to chat with. They paid special attention to us and we appreciated that.

Pros: Great comfort food, Cool diner vibe, Terrific wait staff
Cons: Easy to eat unhealthy (but hey ...)
warmstorage
warmstorage

Fun tasty filling diner food

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2013

This place is great. I went four times in five days in town (honestly, though, Cambridge is pretty crappy for vegan food, which is part of why I came here so often.)

A busy, crowded place with a wait during peak hours. As others have noted, it's diner food, but delicious.

I definitely wish they were 100% vegan, but in Cambridge, beggars can't be choosers. And the bakery itself is 100% vegan

if you're hyper strict about your veganism, you'd probably need to worry a bit about cross-contamination of cooking and prep surfaces (but this is true of many restaurants I've been to and worked in.)

The breakfast options for vegans are out of this world: tofu omlettes, tofu eggs, tons of creative toppings, house-made vegan cheeze, housemade seitan chorizo, house pickled onions, and on, and on. We both loved the stuffed french toast. Honestly, I loved every single thing I had in four meals, and cleaned my plate each time.

Every time I asked if something is vegan or can easily be made vegan, it was. already vegan, even things which sounds like they aren't (think aioli.) Everything on the menu is, or can be made, vegan, without the usual substitute-out-the-richness-and-flavor problem at non veg* restaurants.

I didn't find any of my food in four meals to be excessively greasy, but c'mon, you're going to a place that expressly holds itself out as a diner: it's not health food.

Prices are totally reasonable for Cambridge, and the Central Square area.

The employees to a one were pleasant and great. The kitchen crew working in the wide open kitchen are hustling and hauling ass all the time: the counter is a great place to sit for some serious cooking action!

I'll definitely go back, again and again!

Pros: delicious, creative, tons of vegan options
Cons: not entirely vegan
  • BostonVegan BostonVegan

Agree that for a college town, Cambridge is weak on vegan food. But did you try out Life Alive, a few blocks away from Veggie Galaxy? It's vegetarian but most things are vegan already and just about everything can be made vegan. This could give you a little variety, and Life Alive is healthier. (Don't get me wrong, I love Veggie Galaxy too!)

futurefossils
futurefossils

Love this place, especially the bakery

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

I had to ask twice at the bakery, "Everything here is vegan?" YES, everything! And everything was delicious. The diner itself is vegetarian, but you can veganize any plate! I got a vegan baked mac and cheese, I could have eaten a bucket of this stuff.
I am a huge fan of breakfast food, but I was more or less disappointed in their french toast. All in all, the place is great. I have a great time every time I stop by there and the staff is always very friendly.
Wish the place would just go all vegan already!

Laurie-Marie
Laurie-Marie

Too Greasy

2 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2013

Veggie Galaxy has an artful décor and good service, but the food is sub-par. They live up to their theme of a “greasy-spoon” diner. All dishes are too oily and too salty. If you order a sandwich or veggie burger, the bread will fall apart halfway through your meal due to the excessive oil making the bread soggy. There are very few items on the menu—except for a few salads—that are nutrient dense. It’s mostly high-fat junk food. Worse yet, it’s not a vegan restaurant. They still offer dairy and eggs on the menu. I hope they evolve to 100% vegan. Having said all that, their desserts are tasty and interesting. I would buy a dessert to-go, but I would not have a meal there.

Pros: atmosphere, service, desserts
Cons: Too greasy, Too salty
smerdmann
smerdmann

Amazing Vegan Bakery

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2013

Haven't had a chance to get a meal here yet, but the baked goods are delicious (chocolate peanut butter cake is a must). All vegan. Prices are fair, although not cheap.

lfusfeld
lfusfeld

Delicious

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

Their tofu omelet and other vegan eggs are the best I've had anywhere. Nice dessert selection too. I wish they would serve only vegan food and am not impressed that the eggs thy use are "cage free".
The staff was super nice - all of them. Would definitely go again for brunch.

Pros: Vegan eggs, Desserts, Nice staff
Cons: Eggs from chickens and milk from cows offered
slithers
slithers

Almost Secretly Vegan

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2013

I really wish this place was all-vegan, but for a non-vegan place, they're pretty darn vegan-friendly. Nearly anything on the menu can be made vegan and many items are "naturally" vegan including stuff you wouldn't expect like garlic mayo, cabbage slaw and ice cream/milk-shakes (all their ice cream comes from FoMu, the vegan ice cream place in Allston).

They are not vegan, however, and have many egg and cheese options (as well as cow milk/creamer for coffee) which I'm sure is good for their business, but is not for the animals, sadly.

Breakfast-wise, I really like their stuffed french toast (naturally vegan) and have enjoyed the vegan version of their omelet and "egg and cheese" sandwhich, although I get nervous about possible mistakes (which has never happened).

Lunch-wise, I've had the various sandwiches such as The Club (naturally vegan), vegan-version of Reuben as well as the build your own burger and found them decent, if unexciting. They seem to veer towards the sour flavors, which is not my palette, but my non-vegan girlfriend loves that stuff.

Dinner-wise, I like the vegan-version of the baked Mac & Cheese. Their french fries are excellent and their onion rings are decent (yes, greasy, as one other reviewer mentioned, but what do you expect from fresh-fried onion rings?).

I wish they had more greens (e.g., they don't have broccoli, green peppers, kale or spinach) and I sometimes leave there having enjoyed my meal, but feeling over-starched (like I overindulged on bread or potato chips).

Their bakery is AMAZING. I am very happy to have a high-quality all-vegan bakery (with so many open hours) in the Greater Boston area. I especially like any of their creme pies. I think their cinnamon buns are not as good as Peace o' Pie used to have, but everything else is quite excellent. If I was only rating the bakery, they would definitely get 5 stars from me (and restaurant might get 3, but combined, we'll go with 4).

I've found the staff helpful and knowledgeable (especially about what is vegan).

P.S. If you love vegan diner food, definitely check out Champs Family Bakery (like veggie galaxy but all-vegan and with more greens and Latin options) in Brooklyn, NY.

Pros: amazing bakery (all-vegan desserts!), tons of vegan options, good atmosphere (staff, decor)
Cons: charges extra for tofu substitution, some vegan items not labeled (mayo)
Jim23
Jim23

Great diner food

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

Visited Veggie Galaxy while I was on holiday from Australia, so it was great to be able to experience that classic American diner style food but with a vegetarian twist.
My girlfriend and I shared some of the sandwiches, and they were both very tasty and were generous serving sizes.
The only slightly negative thing was how busy the restaurant was, meaning we had to wait a while for a seat. But overall, I felt that this added to the atmosphere of the meal as it was buzzing and everyone there seemed to be having a good time.
The staff were very helpful and was all round good experience, I will try to make it back next time I am over there.

Pros: Great sandwiches, Helpful staff, Large portions
Cons: Very busy
Lamartel
Lamartel

One of my favorite restaurants!

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2013

I love Veggie Galaxy. It has a great classic diner feel and is 100% Vegetarian. They are able to make anything Vegan as well and all of there desserts are Vegan! My favorite meal is the Beer Battered Tofu.

Pros: Vegan Options, Vegan Desserts, Atmosphere
SilverCrescent
SilverCrescent

Delicious

4 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2012

I recently found myself in Cambridge and decided to have dinner at Veggie Galaxy based on reviews I had read. I must say I did not regret it. The food was delicious. While my meat eater fiance did not particularly like his BLT, I thought it was delicious. I ordered for myself, a Kendall Square burger. For the actual patty you can choose between a blackbean burger or a mushroom chickpea burger. I choose the blackbean and the combination was perfect. The side of potato salad could have had a little more flavor, but the dessert more than made up for it. I got the brownie sundae and it was the most scrumptious brownie sundae I have ever had. My fiance got the chocolate cheesecake which he devoured. The restaurant itself looks clean and contemporary. The staff did leave a bit to desire however. Our waiter never even asked us if we wished to order drinks. Still, that ended up saving us money since we probably would have had he asked. The kitchen staff was quick to make our food however so that was a plus.

Pros: Good food, Decent value, contemporary vibe
Cons: distracted unattentive staff
iwilldeny
iwilldeny

great place!

4 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2012

I really enjoyed this place. Went there twice on my trip to Boston. Nice space, and delicious food. They have some seriously good looking desserts in a spinning case. They make their own hot sauce which was very good.

The restaurant is vegetarian but I think they can make anything on the menu vegan. All the desserts are vegan.

Pros: tofu omelets , homemade hot sauce, vegan desserts
Joelle81
Joelle81

Great food and value

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

I absolutely love the vegan eggs benedict. I also love the veggie burgers. All the deserts are really amazing. My favorites are the lemon meringue pie and the coconut ice cream with taza chocolate.

veganamanda
veganamanda

Pretty good

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2012

When I walked in it was nice to see a new shiny vegan restaurant. It looks like a old diner inside. We went around 2 PM on a Sunday and there was quite a wait. I was dying to try the stuffed french toast - vanilla nut vegan cream cheese, topped with caramelized banana butter, strawberry basil sauce, and maple syrup. Sadly, it didn't live up to my expectations. The cream cheese just wasn't as great as I hoped. They had tons of desserts that are all vegan, I will come back and try again, as I really want to love this place!

Pros: lots of vegan options, bakery
Cons: wait
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

A Real Diner Look And Feel

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2012

We went for dinner and enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. Three of us had the Smoked Reuben and the fourth had The Club. The food was very good although not light and I should not have ordered the side of fries since it left no room for any of the bakery goods. Lots of interesting beers to chose from. We returned the next morning for breakfast which was good but I did enjoy the dinner more. The service on both occasions was very friendly and helpful.

Pros: Very clean, Good food, Good service
maulydaft
maulydaft

Piece of Heaven

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2012

Veggie Galaxy almost makes me want to move to Boston! The vegan dessert case, which spins around, is worth the visit in itself. So many great desserts - not enough time to eat them! I had the reuben too and it was quite delish :) I'll be back, hopefully spend a longer time in Boston so I can eat more food here! I should mention it sucks the kitchen is closed from 3-5 but they were sweet to seat me anyway when I came at 3!

Pros: location, atmopshere, dessert menu
Cons: kitchen closed 3-5
markc7
markc7

tasty!

4 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2012

Great portions, good food, and pretty good selection.

Pros: inexpensive, selection
Cons: wait for a table can be pretty long
SusanHecht
SusanHecht

Fun place, great for vegans

4 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

My husband and I live locally, and are both vegan. We went at about 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, and we had to wait for a few minutes for a table-- we were happy to be in a bustling, energetic place. We got the vegan egg benedict and the BLT on rye-- we were served very quickly and both dishes were very good. And then we shared a slice of oreo cheesecake, which was heavenly! I can't wait to come back and try their dinner entrees.

Pros: Vegan bakery!!, Friendly staff
Cons: Closed 3 to 5
zaphod46
zaphod46

Tasty and Fun

4 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2011

Great having a vegetarian diner, but their knowledge of food allergies and what was safe/unsafe to eat was shaky.

Mushroom and chickpea burger was super delicious.

Pros: tasty, atmosphere
Cons: low allergy awareness
TeaAddictedGeek
TeaAddictedGeek

Nothing bad to say except...

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2011

...don't go here on a diet. Best desserts I've eaten in forever. Food is amazing. Been here twice so far and I'm in love.

Pros: desserts are sensational, everything can be made vegan, well priced
Cons: bad for dieters ;)
andrea
andrea

Needs Work

3 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2011

We were on vacation when VG opened, so our first time was Saturday night. First question: how big is the plate of onion rings? She says, it's a big plate, about 10 very thick rings. We say OK, sounds like enough to share, we'll get one as an appetizer. We order our dinners and wait a bit. We see her and remind her the rings were appetizers and she acts like that's the first she heard of it. But she comes back with a dinner plate with 5 onion rings on it. We question this and she says, "well, they don't count them in the kitchen." I'm thinking, Yea, they do. That's how restaurants control costs, it's called portion control. It wouldn't be so bad except these are just not good. The batter is so thin that it didn't totally cover the onion and there is actually a lot of pooled grease on the plate. Dinner: one of us has beer battered tofu, same as the onion rings, very thin and greasy, but she likes the dinner. Another has the "Reuben" which is tofu slabs with red cabbage slaw instead of kraut. He said it was OK, hiding under the dressing. But nothing like a Reuben. I ordered the Chipotle Bean burger with onions, cheeze and tempeh bacon. Unfortunately, I GOT the mushroom burger. Mushrooms makes me retch. When we called her over, she said "maybe they brought the wrong dish." I said "not Maybe. Did." She took it away, then brought it back! telling me I could eat the sides while I waited. It was super awkward. Finally my burger came, but without the bacon. Someone then brought me a plate of bacon. The sad unwanted mushroom burger sat there the entire meal. Desserts: Cheesecake was good, except for the very thick crust w/a definite burned taste. Lemon Meringue is pretty amazing, but the lemon flavor was uneven throughout and the layer itself was minimal. Citrus Coconut cake was very dense, but a good flavor.
I want vegan restaurants to thrive, but they can't skate by just on being vegan. You've got to be sure the food is GOOD. The ketchup here was like tomato paste, we actually added salt and sugar to it!! If Chicago Diner can make a Reuben, surely you guys can figure out how to do one with something more than tofu slabs.

Pros: Most desserts, Homemade vegan cheeze is good
Cons: Our service, Food is just short of really good
sglcklch
sglcklch

Great food but very noisy

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2011

Finally tried out this new vegetarian diner. We came here for lunch on a Saturday and the place was packed. I was told that all items on the menu are vegan except for those that specifically have eggs or cheese in them, and even these can be veganized by substituting tofu or their homemade vegan cheese (which BTW is crazy good).

I got the chipotle black bean burger with red cabbage slaw. For toppings they had a few combination choices, but you can also pick your own, which was what I did. Food was delicious and reasonably priced, but service was a little slow perhaps because they were still new, which I didn't mind too much. What annoyed me the most was the noise level inside; it was so loud that my partner and I had to practically yell at each other just so we could make ourselves heard. Would have rated it five cows otherwise.

Pros: good food, reasonable prices
Cons: noisy, slow service
massta
massta

Finally a great vegan dinner!

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2011

This place is awesome! Went for dinner and had the open-faced seitan plate. The flavor was great and the portions sized well for the price. To my surprise, everything on the menu can be made vegan. Had my first rootbeer float in years and the lemon meringue pie was fantastic. Can't wait to return for breakfast and try the eggs benedict.

Pros: chic dinner, great service, good value

Dear Owner and Manager of Veggie Galaxy: