Vegetarian restaurant opened in downtown Oct 2012. Nice, more upscale atmosphere, prices moderate to slightly more. Has an extensive wheat free section on menu. Reported 2 of the mock meat items contain whey (marked as such) and the drinks have dairy or vegan option. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Pan Asian, Kosher
123 Dorrance St (Dyer St)
Providence, Rhode Island 02903
401-270-4700

Mon-Wed 11:00am-9:30pm, Fri 11:00am-10:30pm, Sat 12:30pm-10:30pm, Sun 12:30pm-9:30pm

First Review by Lz
wreckkidz
wreckkidz
  • raw

Never disappoints.

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2014

Every time I order I try to get something different which is something I wouldn't have done at a Chinese restaurant in my meat eating days. Everything has been great every time. My favorites so far have been the orange seitan and the basil soy protein. Love that mint lemonade!

Pros: Tasty, Good price lunch specials
Cons: One item has whey protein.
sacobin
sacobin

YUM!

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2014

I really enjoy going out for dinner at Veggie Fun! I preferred the former menu that referred to items as "chicken" or "seafood" over the new menu that calls the items "soy protein" etc. It just seemed to give a better idea of what to expect. Some dishes are spicier than one would expect, so be careful if you don't like the hot stuff. Nevertheless the food is terrific, the staff is great, and the owner is lovely.

Pros: yummy, reasonably priced, pleasant atmosphere
TerryVShaw
TerryVShaw

VeggieFun - Providence, RI

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2014

We were thrilled to find a vegan (mostly) place so near downtown. Good service - prompt and friendly. The atmosphere was really nice - laid back. We loved our entrees (General Sao's veggie protein and Lettuce Wraps) and our appetizer (veggie dumplings). The Miso soup was tasty too. Our only complaint was the Sweet and Sour soup (quite frankly we both found it inedible - all sweet, no sour). Even with that little blip, we are definitely going back again.

Pros: Friendly and fast, Nice variety of vegan food, Accessible

DavidH10101
DavidH10101

Well above average in all respects

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

I'm not sure why this is under the "vegetarian" category rather than "vegan" (based upon the restaurant's sign). In any case, I had the hot and sour soup, the spring rolls, and the Black Pepper Seitan. Everything was presented well and (more importantly) really flavorful and well balanced. The wait staff was friendly with just the right level of attentiveness. The portions were generous.

• sacobin sacobin

FYI- there are 2 (I think) dishes that have a protein base that contains whey. Other than that I believe everything else is vegan!

elephantelizabeth
elephantelizabeth

Love it

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

I love Veggie Fun!! Before going vegan, chinese food was one of my favorites. Veggie Fun tastes like the real deal! I recommend the malaysian curry stew or the general tso's. Also, the scallion pancake and dumplings are a great appetizer!I took a group of non vegan friends there and they didn't seem to tell the difference. The staff is very friendly and the food comes out quickly. There fried soy ice cream is delicious!

AliciaHartman
AliciaHartman

bad for people with allergies

2 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2013

Food is good, but if you have an allergy, DO NOT EAT HERE!!! I told my server multiple times that I am allergic to soy and she suggested an appetizer to me, which I ordered. I confirmed several times that it did not have soy in it. When she brought it to the table with a cup of soy sauce, I again asked her if there was any soy in it. She assured me there wasn't. When I bit in to the spring roll, I tasted something similar to chicken. I called the waitress over and told her what I tasted (soy protein) and she still claimed there was no soy until I asked her to check with the kitchen. Of course she came back and told me with a sheepish grin that there was soy in it and gave me what seemed to be an insincere apology. Without asking me, she ordered me a new one and had the nerve to try and charge me for it! Overall this was a very bad experience, ruined my Friday night by making me sick, and is an extremely dangerous practice for their customers.

Pros: food tastes good
Cons: bad service, put their customers at risk, very limited parking
alyssax3
alyssax3

A new favorite

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2013

Came here with my girl who is new to the vegan food scene. I've been vegetarian 6 years and vegan for 2. We both LOVED it. Everything we had was very good including the ICE CREAM! We got mint chocolate chip. So good! We have been talking about going back since! And now they deliver too! Definitely worth going to many times!

Pros: All vegan, Amazing food, Dessert
honeydew419
honeydew419

Too much sugar

2 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2013

Sorry, I have to disagree with the other reviews! We found it too sweet. Even the kimchee had too much sugar, we couldn't finish our meal. I was so disappointed -- I hoped this restaurant would be new favorite take out spot.

Pros: Friendly staff
sapphicseven
sapphicseven

nice!

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2013

This is a nice vegan place conveniently located very close to the bus station. There is one item on the menu containing a dairy element, but for Rhode island, its a much needed vegan option. The food is very tasty, the autumn roll is so delicious! The fried vegan ice cream is also a great treat that you might not be able to get anywhere else locally.

Pros: vegan, quality, tasty
Cons: very pricey, small portions
travegan
travegan

Hallelujah! Vegan option in downtown Providence

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

The warm comfortable Asian surroundings are equaled by the helpful friendly staff. The food is affordable, tasty and beautifully cooked. It's the kind of place you say "Why didn't we come here sooner?" Before we finished our meal we knew it was a new favorite stop for future excursions into the city.
The King-Oyster Mushroom app was crispy and delightful. The miso soup warm and plentiful. The Black Pepper Veggie Beef had a rich savory brown sauce with perfectly cooked veggies. My fiancée got the Smoked Teriyaki Soy Duck (not vegan - has whey) and she was amazed by the flavor and tender green beans. Don't leave without trying the Brown Rice Pudding for dessert! You won't be disappointed and you'll appreciate the quality, affordable vegan options.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: not all vegan, parking
apuerini
apuerini

Bravo Veggie Fun!!

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

Finally a pure vegan restaurant in Providence. I found this on Happy Cow. We went last Saturday night. Had a delicious vegan meal. Delicious creative salads. Appetizer of seitan bites - outstanding. And 2 entrees that were truly delicious. We can't wait to go back and bring friends! The service and setting were outstanding. Easy to find and easy to park. Plus, cocktails and full dinner for $60!!

Pros: Ambience, Service, Quality
thevegantwins
thevegantwins

Tasty, convenient veg food in downtown Providence

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2012

We ended up eating here twice during our 2-week stay in Rhode Island following Hurricane Sandy. The food was very tasty and the staff were friendly and accomodating to a large family. My 8-year old twins thought the food here was better than Veggie Heaven, our go-to vegan Chinese restaurant in NJ. The miso soup was wonderful.

Pros: Convenient location, Steamed pumpkin given with most dishes, Friendly staff
Cons: Some food a bit greasy, Television in restaurant
Lz
Lz

Enjoyable

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2012

Just found out this place and had lunch here today. I got black pepper veggie beef and my boy friend got smoke teriyaki duck, so delicious! Undesirable!

• mark m braunstein mark m braunstein

the reviewer is semi-illiterate

• whitegirlgoesgreen whitegirlgoesgreen

Wait you didn't mean "undesirable" right?

Dear Owner and Manager of Veggie Fun: