Casual vegetarian restaurant with counter service. Uses mock meats in dishes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, West Indian, Caribbean, Fast food, Take-out
132-09 Liberty Ave (off Van Wyck Expwy)
Queens, New York 11419

Harlequinade
Harlequinade

Awesome Food!

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2014

Only place in queens where I can get Vegan "BBQ Ribs" and some Okra and Collard Greens.

It's the tastiest thing ever.

Seriously, I had a fix for this stuff for weeks and everyday I would drive down that crazy crowded van wyck just to get it.

Only downsides are: Hard to find parking, and is not a sit down place.

Pros: Casual Atmosphere, Great Food, Nice Service
Cons: No Parking, No Sit Downs (well they have two stools)
slo0go
slo0go

Delicious Caribbean Food!

Posted on 02 / 13 / 2014

I love it here! EVERYTHING is vegan. This is a counter service type establishment. They make a number of dishes that you can take with you or eat in their newish seating area (they used to just have a couple of stools and a little counter, but now they have a whole room with several tables and chairs).

Everything is so good! I buy a lot of vegan goodies from Vege Eats in Flushing, and a lot of Veggie Castle II's food seems to be made from the same stuff (which is really interesting, because most of the products at Vege Eats are from Taiwan). I just wish my cooking was as good as Veggie Castle II's! My partner and I love to order a large meal (two protein dishes and three sides) and share. It is plenty of food for two, though you may love it so much, you'll want to get more. AND they have vegan patties (fake Jamaican beef patties, callaloo patties, bean patties, fake fish patties, etc etc etc).

They also have a lot of desserts. Some look like they are from Vegan Treats in PA, but the flavors are unlike those that are usually sold in NYC. I've seen pistacchio cake at Veggie Castle II. Some desserts are made in house, including their Jamaican cassava cake. It's so delicious! Much like a Filipino cassava cake, but much more coconutty. Next Christmas, I'll be sure to see if they sell vegan rum cake. MMMMM!!!

Also try their herbal root beverages, if your curiosity is piqued!

The restaurant is only closed three days a year: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's, I think!

Pros: Everything is vegan!, Caribbean food!, Patties!
Cons: None!
Laurie-Marie
Laurie-Marie

Excellent Food

Posted on 09 / 02 / 2013

What a FANTASTIC Restaurant! Everything was great--the food, the service, the dining area. We loved the curry "chicken" and the BBQ "drumsticks" most of all. (They use May-Wah products, but they cook them so that they are tender and delectable. I’ve never had such delicious May-Wah chicken!) The side dishes are tasty, and the desserts are incredible and reasonably priced. We had chocolate peanut butter cake and avocado cheesecake—both were spectacular. Cheerful reggae music plays in the background, and overall it has a very positive vibe. We will definitely go back next time we are in NY.

Pros: Good food, Good service, Nice dining area
Cons: Some items can be a bit too oily

beetsrock
beetsrock

Get This!

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

I went a few miles out of my way to JFK to try Veggie Castle and it was a delicious detour! It's a treat to have an all-vegan menu to choose from and it was difficult to choose. Ended up with a plate of sweet and sour tofu, steamed greens, and kidney bean stew. All were excellent. Huge selection of juices to cure any ailment you may or may not have -- went with a kale and citrus mix to battle "fatigue." Vegan cake slices were 3 for $10 so had to try three -- get the carrot cake and you will not be disappointed. In addition to the tummy-pleasing food, the staff was delightful and there is seating in a very sleek little dining room where you can take your time to savor the food and listen to reggae.

Pros: amazing menu selection, generous portions, huge juice variety
Frontliner
Frontliner

Soy burger was amazing!

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2013

I was suprised how good a plain vegan soy burger with ketchup tasted!
The people working there we're very nice.

Pros: Nice people
Cons: Not everything looks fresh
Vegan Goddess
Vegan Goddess

good

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2010

This is vegan caribbean food that's very good. It's cafeteria style with only 2-3 places to sit. The food is big portions and reasonably priced. The shakes/smoothies are VERY overpriced. They also have the vegan cakes from PA for a reasonable price.

Dear Owner and Manager of Veggie Castle II: