Taiwanese style vegetarian buffet restaurant. Lunch and dinner. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Taiwanese, Chinese, Buffet

First Review by twotoadstools
scocasso
scocasso

It used to be good, not anymore

2 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2013

It was our first time going to their new location after moving out from the Richmond marketplace. Even at their previous location, it was hit-n-miss -- you had to time it just right to get food fresh from the kitchen, otherwise you'd be disappointed.

The decor is non-existent, but that's fine with me, I'm there for the food, but since the food did little for me, I started noticing the lack of decor in an attempt to find something, anything, good I could say about this place.

We went on a Friday evening and I expected the buffet to be full of steaming hot food ready for all the customers to pile onto their plate. We were confronted with a few measly items that looked like leftovers from yesterday. "Hmf..." I think they were, because they were still cold on the inside; obviously not just prepared.

The buffet has one-third of the choices as the old location had, plus the physical apparatus of the buffet is either malfunctional or not being used properly as didn't seem to be keeping all the food at a proper temperature (I worked at a buffet restaurant in the past, we had a thermometer to monitor each dish, and it was very important); some of this food was lukewarm at best.

Note: "Cash Only" (I had to walk to the bank and back with cash - who has cash anymore??).

The food that they did make and bring out hot from the kitchen was good, and my kids enjoyed it too. The price is low, but I'd have paid more for more choices, a debit card machine, and a buffet with hot steamy food... well, I could go on and on, but let's leave it at those most important points.

The service was alright, considering we mainly served ourselves. The two staff members were friendly but didn't seem to speak much; they would use hand gestures rather than speak, which lead me to believe they may not speak much English.

Their dessert choice is the same as their previous location, Non-vegan dairy bucket ice-cream. If they would just remove that, it would be a 100% vegan restaurant; or better yet, replace it with a vegan alternative.

It's a mystery how they stay in business. Well... "Cash Only" is the likely answer.

Pros: tasty, super cheap, no decor to distract from food
Cons: not everything hot and steamy, few choices & cash only, non-vegan dessert
hsandmb
hsandmb

So Much Promise...So Little Food.

2 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2012

Really don't want to say anything bad about Veggie Bunch. The folks who run this place seemed sincere and nice and the food wasn't bad. But when one dines at an all-you-can-eat buffet it is expected that, at minimum, there will be food.

We arrived at 1:00 and the steam trays were nearly empty...and remained unfilled during our stay. Example: there were four small, dry, withered spring rolls drying under the heat lamps when our party of 3 arrived. Less than fresh and never restocked. The mock chicken was tasty, but had clearly been prepared hours earlier. Less than a serving was out when we arrived and no more was put out during our stay. The same was true for the rice noodles, green beans, mock-fish...you get the idea. Pretty disappointing, really.

On a positive note, the wok fried green beans were excellent.

Sadly, the only fresh food we saw during our visit were the meals being eaten by the kitchen staff.

Insultingly, we were charged $12.99/per rather than the posted $9.99 lunch price. A note on the back of a business card stated that this was the all-day Saturday rate.

A waste of money. A bad experience. A serious disappointment.

Pros: Some Tasty Dishes.
Cons: Lack of Food...Inexcusable for a BUFFET!, Horrible Service and Lack of Freshness., NO Parking.

liversounds
liversounds

A lot of awesome (and a little eew)

5 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2011

Let me just start by saying that I did not have any GI issues after eating here. I'll also acknowledge that a lack of GI issues is not a typical segue into a positive restaurant review... Soooo, are scorching hot buffet dishes important to you? Could you possibly put up with a luke-warm item here and there... or perhaps every item? Yep, bacteria no doubt enjoy the Veggie Bunch buffet as much as I did--but again, I had no GI issues! Which pretty much means this place is just awesome, while not of course avoiding the fact that I would probably go back anyway...
In any case, the food was ambitious and yet expertly prepared. There was soup, a black bean dessert, fake squid/octopus, fake meatball/fritter-y thing in sauce, three different kinds of tofu, vegetables, some other thing that was squishy and firm at the same time, some fake fish (which of course I didn't try), noodles, and a wonderfully crunchy/chewy chicken-y item. Again, each dish was expertly prepared, which means that not only are the ingredients fashioned together by a real chef, but the food has not been "americanized", and the vegetarian spirit is well beyond assumed, all the way into sublime... okay, maybe a little overboard there, but for a vegetarian to sit down and have a meal creatively pre-prepared by a chef who has clearly been a vegatarian for a long time... ooo la la!

Pros: Variety, Preparation, Taste
Cons: Luke-warm
twotoadstools
twotoadstools

Tasty Buffet!

5 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2010

This is our favorite staple Chinese restaurant in Richmond. Lots of veggies, including a superb hot eggplant dish, plenty of interesting mock-meats, fresh steamed buns, soups, greens, a selection of tofu and other traditional fare. Kindly proprietor and excellent cook. All you can eat buffet, reasonably priced. Please note they are closed on Tuesdays.

Pros: variety, delicious, well-priced
Cons: cash-only, split hours (not open all day)
  • Happy88 Happy88

The restaurant is awful: very bad food and bad service

Dear Owner and Manager of Veggie Bunch: