CLOSED: Veggie Bite - North...

Vegetarian fast food in Chicago. Closed as of March 2011. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out, Delivery

RachelLouise
RachelLouise

Yummy vegan fast food

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2010

Veggie Bite is one of the few places in Chicago that is vegan because the owners care about animals, and not for health reasons. Despite some of the signs on the walls, the food at Veggie Bite is not very healthy. It's greasy fast food, and it's delicious!

The buffalo wings and buffalo on rye are especially good, as are the chili cheese fries and burgers. The milk shakes are fabulous, and the soft serve ice cream is really good, too.

I've been there quite a few times, and the people there are always friendly. The service there used to be slow, but they've finally gotten the hang of it and it's super-fast now, or at least it was last time I went. The wireless worked fine for me the one time I used it.

In summary: Veggie Bite is vegan fast food, and nothing more or less, but for vegan fast food, it's great!

Pros: yummy, good service, milkshakes
Cons: greasy food
amoney700
amoney700

chicken nuggets are ok

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2010

Been there twice and some items like the nuggets or chili dog are good but don't get the tofu its way too greasy. Plus they shouldn't advertise wifi if they don't have it. Out of the two times I've been there in the last week it wasn't connected. Maybe they didn't pay their bill.

Lgstarn
Lgstarn

Disgusting food, disgraceful customer service...

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2010

I went to Veggie Bite, and it was a quite simply the least appetizing restaurant experience I have ever had. That includes every non-vegetarian restaurant I have been to. To begin with, the food was incredibly greasy. I thought it would be fun to order some "comfort" food like fries, but it was swimming in so much oil that I literally could not choke it down. My "tofu sandwich" (which was deep fat fried tofu) had HAIR in it. Not a small, harmless hair, but rather a long blond hair. Quite hungry, I picked out the hair and vowed to let them know about it. After the second long blond hair in the sandwich, I ended up throwing my entire meal away even though I was still famished.

I should have known I was in trouble when I walked in the restaurant and saw a big sign that said "NO REFUNDS." Such a sign will immediately send me running from now on.

So after I threw my $12 lunch away I went and told the cashier that my food had hair in it. The cashier looked panicked and said said "How is that possible?"

AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE! "The customer always lies" is Veggie Bite's motto!

I was a bit peeved and I responded, "I don't know how it is possible - there was just a hair in my food." I felt like saying, "well, for reasons scientists don't quite understand, human hair is normally shed. Gravity can cause this hair to fall, especially if a hair net is not being worn, and it is possible for this errant hair to go into the food. Then the food is cooked and mistakenly served. Alternately, the hair could fall in while the food was being cooked. Either way, that describes the mysterious possibility of a hair ending up in food." But I did not say this, since I was with a date and didn't want to reveal my smarmy side just yet.

After looking even more panicked she said, "do you still have it?" I said, "no, I threw it away..." Then the triumphant cashier said, "well, we can't give you a refund for that..." I said, "look, I don't want your refund. I'm just telling you to be more careful next time." Then her face got more relaxed and started looking at me as if I were a human being and finally said, "oh. Well. Thanks then. ... ... Sorry."

I'm sorry too, Veggie Bite. Sorry for anyone who ends up going to your restaurant.

Pros: Vegan & eco conscious, High calorie good for weight gain, Free hair included
Cons: Gives vegan food a horrible name, Price/quality ratio, "NO REFUNDS" customer service

jnorris
jnorris

Vegan Junk Food

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2010

This isn't the place to go to to get a healthy meal. But if you're in the mood for a quick snack or some vegan junk food this is the place to go. Has a good size menu and the milkshakes are pretty awesome.

Pros: Good Value
Cons: Not Healthy
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

It's been blahhh here lately...

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2009

So I decided to review this place again (my old review is at the bottom).

Veggie Bite is decent, but I wouldn't say it's the best... I'd say that the food is flavorless to an extent, but it works when you're in the need for food immediately. And regarding fast food, don't expect your typical fast food like fast... Obviously a fully a Vegan restaurant doesn't have the volume of customers as the typical fast food joint so expect to wait a bit - so you get food that hasn't been sitting for hours and hours. Admittedly, there have been times when my order came out and my food looked vile, for example, the sauce looked like something that came off of the street (imagine, imagine). The only food items I'd recommend are the Philly Sandwich and the Gyro's.

None of my friends will come to VB with me anymore either, but I can't really blame them. Their main complaint is the flavorless food and the attitude of the staff (my best friend says he doesn't want to deal with listening to the owners condescending remarks). Oh, and be sure to steer clear of the sewage smelling bathroom...yuck!

I don't know why I still come back (on very rare occasion now), but I don't want to give up on this place... This place is more deserving of 2.5 cows.

Posted on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Review: I stopped at the location before my job interview, and let's just say, I hope I get the job [so I can eat here every day!]! This location is more hip and in a convenient area than their other location [south of the city]. I had the Philly Cheese Steak, and was I amazed! VERY VERY GOOD! The employees were *very* nice too! I can't wait to eat here again!

hungry31
hungry31

A bit disappointed....

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2009

I love vegan food but was disappointed with the service. They call it "Fast food" but i waited way too long. with one cashier and one cook (Who i noticed had long hair and no hair net. GROSS) it was all but fast. Don't get me wrong the food was good but took too long. maybe it wouldn't have felt too long if the animal rights group who chose this location to have their meeting didn't have the music turned off. They also did take up alot of tables and chairs and didn't leave much choice of seating. What this place needs is actual "Fast food" and music to liven up the place. this place needs to kick it up a notch for atmosphere and maybe a hair net on the cook. but the food here IS good but also not cheap. this was my first time there hope your have a better time. i might go back if im really hungry.

Pros: tasty food, large menu, vegan
Cons: atmosphere, slow service, cook needs hair net
katie_b
katie_b

cravings

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2009

yummy junk food

Pros: yummy junk food
Cons: not as cheap as what the carnivores get
Sophie
Sophie

Great vegan fast food!

Posted on 02 / 13 / 2009

I was so psyched to learn that there's vegan fast food in Chicago...We ordered the chili cheese dog, fries, mango juice, chik nuggets, and philly steak sandwich. The chili cheese dog was pretty good but the philly steak was amazing!! We dont recommend the nuggets though, they were a bit dry. The chocolate mousse cake was pretty good too.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly staff, Quick service
vegbrarian
vegbrarian

yummy vegan fastfood

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2008

I had the chance to stop by the north side Veggie Bite on a recent trip to Chicago. I had the buffalo on rye sandwich - a greasy, sloppy, tasty breaded tofu number topped with a spicy sauce. I was full on the sandwich alone; with a bottled drink my tab was well under $10. No, it's not every day food - it's junk food - and that's why I adore Veggie Bite.

Pros: inexpensive, tasty, convenient
Cons: slow wait time
berkeley
berkeley

Bad News

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2008

My sister and I went here two years ago. Maybe it has changed. At that time this "food" was a disgrace to the word vegetarian. No one who wasn't a diehard vegi would ever go to a vegi restaurant again if this was her first experience. I really don't understand how food could be made to taste that bad. They can't even make french fries and I thought I'd never eat another vegi burger after that experience.

Cons: taste, taste, taste
MollyMillerBaby
MollyMillerBaby

Everyone needs to eat here at least 7 times a week

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2008

Veggie Bite is a great company doing a great thing for all of the non carnivorous people out there, not to mention a wonderful thing for animals. The food is great, and the milkshakes are delicious. Go and support their cause, a local business, and feel good about yourself while doing it. Enjoy snackin it up in tasty town.

Pros: Good food, Great cause, Real close
Cons: Not a single one

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Veggie Bite - North Side: