CLOSED: Veggie and Tea House

Variations on Asian dishes includes kung pao veggies, tofu and veggies in spicy sauce, fried rice and pineapple, teriyaki potatoes. Most foods grown from their own farm. Free wireless internet access and a plugs for power available. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Chinese, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by llaauurraa

Veggie and Tea House

3 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2011

There seems to be a good variety of foods. They are labelled for vegan and vegetarian so you can make sure you get what you want. I didn't like the salads. My friend and I got different kinds so we could try 4 (Each person gets 2) but I didn't like any of them and usually I'm not a picky eater. The food was beautifully plated and it had a nice atmosphere.

Pros: friendly service
Cons: large variety to choose from

Bland and Questionable

2 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2010

I should start out by saying that there are a few positive things about this restaurant. The health information was listed for each meal and everything seemed low in sodium. You get a considerable amount of food for a small price. If you like simple food without much flavor, this might be a good option. The were chatting with each other, but they were friendly to us and helped us with anything we needed.

We didn't eat more than a few bites of our meals, which was a first for us. We didn't even bother to take leftovers home. The staff showed us the most popular dishes and we ordered them (veggie balls and fried rice). The veggie balls were coated in grease and left a really yucky feeling in our mouths from all of the oil. They also were flavorless and not worth eating unless you added salt and used the sauces. The side dishes were too vinegary for my taste. The soup tasted bland and didn't have any flavor. I also questioned whether or not the soup was actually vegan. It tasted like they used eggs in the base, but the waiter said that it was fine to eat. After reading a review above that had the same concerns, I think maybe they do not have a good grasp of what a vegan eats and think vegans may eat eggs and fish.

Because of these reasons, we wont be going again and I wouldn't recommend the restaurant to a friend.

Pros: calories listed, low sodium
Cons: bland, greasy

Love the boats!

3 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2010

Now let me preface by saying that this is a typical unsanitary (stained floors) chinese restaurant with an edge on veggieness. They have nutritional information for all the dishes, but its not exactly perfect, ie the walnut salad said it had 0 grams of fat. Two dishes that said they were steamed were coated with oil (noodle & cabbage rolls) The only thing I can eat there is the steamed veggie boat, but they bring it out with egg based sauce (remind them to leave off). Kind of clueless, but they are expanding to Palm Springs, Pasadena & Westwood this year. I hope they learn a little bit about veganism and how its not a whim or optional feature. I would not eat anything other than the steamed veggies there and skip the sauces. Their message isn't clear enough to convince me they know what they are doing.

Pros: boat service is fun
Cons: not sure if they are vegan aware

Disappointing Second Time Around

2 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2010

Our first visit here, about a year ago, was a pleasant surprise with many vegan food choices. The space was a bit odd with so much room and so few tables, and so few customers for that matter. We ordered the Imperial Veggie Rolls and the Spicy Tofu Veggies. Both were pretty good, as was the soup and sides that came with the meal. All in all, we were happy and vowed to come again when we were in the area.

Our second visit yesterday, was a totally different story. The restaurant still has too much space with too few tables and very few customers, but more than that, the cleanliness left much to be desired, and the staff was more interested in talking to each other than in trying to maintain a pleasant dining ambiance. The real disappointment came with the food choices we'd made. We both ordered the Spicy Tofu Veggies, one with the tofu and one with a substitution of extra veggies instead of tofu. The veggies in both dishes were overcooked, very oily and tasteless. The tofu was also tasteless. Additionally, the sides were unremarkable, and the soup was very, very bland. All in all, the meal was a huge disappointment and we will not be going back for a third visit. I'm sad to have to write this, since there are so few healthy vegan choice to begin with, but I can't recommend a place that is so disappointing, uninviting and inconsistent.

Pros: Vegan, Vegetarian, Healthier choices, Reasonable Value
Cons: Disappointing quality, Uninviting space, Inconsistent service

Guest

Use to be good, now beware!

3 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2007

This restaurant use to be great with wonderful food, tranquil atmosphere and nice staff. In the last year I have gotten sick twice and found vermin in my food once. Not much veg options for dining in this area so I occasionally still visit. Food is delicious when it doesn't make you sick or have bugs in it, staff is scarce, atmosphere is still peaceful. Proceed with caution.

Pros: menu, portion size, atmosphere
Cons: staff, cleanliness, freshness

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Veggie and Tea House: