Vegan restaurant with a menu only in Bulgarian. Some staff speak English. Has gluten free bread, nut milk and lunch specials. Relocated from Plovdiv. Reported closed to HappyCow, June 2015. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Western, Raw, Catering

veggieriga
veggieriga

Disappointing food

Posted on 12 / 07 / 2013

At first I couldn't find the restaurant, so I went to eat elsewhere. Then once I was online, I looked up the address again, and since I was still hungry went here and had a soup. The first waitress I spoke to spoke almost no English, but another woman (maybe the owner?) spoke some English and helped me to order. The menu was only in Bulgarian. I ordered a spinach soup which I thought was not broth based, but when it came it was broth with spinach and carrot, not what I expecting, but I believe it was due to a communication issue. I also had the gluten free bread which was ok. The soup also was ok. I wasn't able to order anything else, since I was full, because I had already lunch elsewhere. I also had a glass of tap water.

I returned in the evening and the waitress at that time appeared to speak no English. I could not even say the name of the food in English; I had to say the food I wanted in Bulgarian. There was no one else at that time who spoke English. Fortunately I can read Cyrillic and so had a rough idea of what of the food was. I ordered the carrot soup with ginger that I had asked about at lunch and was told was good but that it was a raw soup. My soup was very disappointing. There didn't appear to be any ginger, it was just a carrot puree. I only was able to eat about 25% of it and then I just couldn't eat anymore because it tasted awful. I also ordered a chickpea dish which in the menu was described as chickpeas with olives, fresh vegetables and tahini and bell pepper sauce. There were no fresh vegetables which was very disappointing. Overall I had the feeling that they left out important ingredients to save money. My chickpea dish was not very tasty, and I could only eat a little of it. I also had asked for a glass of tap water. When the bill came, I saw they had charged me 50 stotinki for my glass of tap water which they had not done at lunch. When I expressed surprise, suddenly the waitress spoke English and said in a very good accent, "It's mineral water." I was really shocked, because until that point I had really believed that she spoke no English. In the end, she did give me my 50 stotinki, but she didn't appear happy about it. I was in Plovdiv for another day, and I had planned to eat there again to try more of their dishes but after that I didn't want to. Check the bill carefully to avoid being overcharged, or at least count the number of items to make sure, there aren't more items than ordered.

Cons: menu only in Bulgarian, waitresses may refuse to speak English, food not tasty
  • webmaster webmaster

Hi veggieriga,
    Are you certain this review is for their Varna, location and not their Plovdiv restaurant?

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: VEGGIC: