Vegetarian Chinese restaurant. Offers mock meats, tofu, and vegetable dishes. Has a lunch buffet. Menu is mostly vegan and is written in German. Non-smoking. Directions: U3 to Landstrasse station go Landstasse to Invalidenstarsse to Ungargasse then take street car down Ungargasse. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-Friendly, Chinese, Taiwanese, Buffet, Take-out

CarlosGP
CarlosGP

Excellent food and service

Posted on 12 / 10 / 2014

I'm very surprised by the critical comments in some of the reviews here. There were 4 of us for dinner and all dishes were excellent. There were 3 waiters on staff and all 3 were super-friendly as well as attentive to detail. It is true that it's not in the center of town, but it's super-easy to reach by tram and definitely worth it.

Highly recommended.

Pros: Great food, Great prices, Terrific service
Cons: Not in the center of town
aps101
aps101

Decent but not amazing

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2014

All veggie Asian spot with many vegan options. Ask for an English menu, they do have them particularly as wait staff does not speak a lot of English. The soup was a bit of a disappointment, but overall the meal was decent. It is definitely out of the way, a bit of a walk from the Belvedere and a hike back to the city center, but tram does run nearby if you prefer.

jlmcmillan
jlmcmillan

Very disappointing

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2014

My husband and I got take out from here, and were very disappointed. While everything was indeed vegan, it was very bad—nothing tasted fresh or flavorful, just like something I would get from a crappy, cheap Chinese restaurant. It was also REALLY expensive: €34 (about $50) for take out for two. Don't bother.

I'm put out HappyCow won't let me give it one star; 2 is way too many.

dsparakh
dsparakh

Unique amongst Chinese Buddhist restaurants

Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

I came to Vienna not wanting my vegetarian experience to be limited to the standard Chinese Buddhist offerings. Was I ever happy that this restaurant happened to be the closest veg place to my hotel! I can state with confidence that this was the best Asian vegetarian restaurant I’ve ever eaten at, and I have eaten at such places all over the world. The décor, ambiance, and design were what you might expect at an upscale Viennese restaurant. The price was unbelievable – two of us had a set menu for E35 total, which included soup, four mini-spring rolls, four main courses, and dessert. The food was exceptional. All too often, Chinese Buddhist restaurants present a long list of exotic sounding dishes – giving the illusion of great choice – when in reality, many of the dishes taste pretty similar. Vegetasia was different. Every dish we had was prepared with care and thought. The corn in the sweet corn soup was fresh. The spring rolls were not resurrected from a frozen, industrial batch. Vegetasia 1 was a most pleasant surprise, and is highly recommended.

Pros: price, food quality, ambiance
Morgenstern72
Morgenstern72

Not vegan friendly

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2013

It's a shame: this restaurant looks nice, food is most times awesome, but when you ask what is vegan, they tell you "everything" (at the buffet), which is not true.
Same with desserts, they gave me something with milk and told me afterwards, when I complained.

As long as this policy stays intact, I can not recommend this restaurant, as long as you are not with a friend that already knows it.

Don't try the Very hot authentic thai soup. Coming directly from Thailand this was a mock, completely tasteless :( Another authentic Chinese dish the same.

A word to the buffet: soaked in fat, not crispy, partial cold and many things empty. For the buffet I would only give 1 star, never again!

Pros: Many dishes, Mostly awesome quality, very nice restaurant
Cons: They sell vegatarian as vegan!, Buffet is not good, the fake fish tastes fake
cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Amazing! So good, not expensive,close to train stn

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2012

I went here twice for the lunch buffet (12-3pm during the week I believe). It was something like 7€ and was great. The food ranged from "ok", typical tawainese vegetarian/mock-meat stuff to quite delicious dishes that were not usual run-of-the mill. Nothing I had was bad and some things were great. There are a pretty good number of dishes, though not all are vegan (hot and sour soup has egg, cookies I doubt are vegan etc.) Most of the uncertain ones (deep-fried pineapple, vanilla pudding) were labelled as vegan if they were. What can I say, it's delicious and the price is right, definitely one of the better places I found in Vienna and I will hit here again for sure the next time I am back.

The have a nice terrace out front and they have some sushi too included on the buffet (and dessert, as mentioned above). Also, they carry Dammann teas (like "damn man, this is tasty"). Vanilla Rooibos is highly recommended.

Pros: Good value, Tasty
Cons: Dishes could be a little more inspired
piratechick
piratechick

okay buffet, terrifyingly real-looking mock fish

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2012

Went there for lunch with some friends. The buffet was okay, not breathtaking, but good. We had to take care since nothing was labelled as vegetarian or vegan, and there was egg rice and pudding containing dairy. A friend had some salmon sushi that looked so much like real salmon I didn't dare taste it myself. Apparently it was great (and vegan).

Pros: mock fish,if you like that sort of thing
Cons: vegetarian/vegan dishes not labelled
damian0815
damian0815

Bland, tasteless, generic Chinese restaurant

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2011

We came on the recommendation of a friend. Won't be going back.

We ordered 2 different dishes (crispy duck with 'vegetables', and the 'various meat varieties with vegetables and cashew nuts') and the 'vegetables' were exactly the same in each dish: overcooked frozen-like vegetables in a sticky starchy goopy sauce, like in an ordinary cheap Chinese restaurant.

Thoughtless, unappetizing, poorly presented, expensive.

Pros: all vegetarian, good service
Cons: the food
Edz
Edz

Classy

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2010

Very nice replica meat vegan dishes. Would have liked to see more dishes which weren't meat imitations but they were all very convincing and tasty.

Set menus for two cost about 35 Euro. English menus available and staff spoke good english.

amorris65
amorris65

Taiwanese treat

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2010

The menu - available in English - was very varied and entirely vegetarian, vegan, in fact, except for optional egg in one or two dishes). Initially the menu looked deceptively meaty (aaghh) but there is an index at the front which describes the actual vegetarian ingredients used in creating the many meat-substitute dishes.
We visited twice in a 5-night stay in Vienna and both times all the food was exceptionally tasty and interesting. The Mango "chicken" curry was gorgeous. All dishes were well-presented and the staff were very helpul - most spoke a reasonable amount of English. The interior was understated chic - not at all pretentious. If you stay at the Renaissance Riding Stables Hotel on Ungargasse it is 100 yards away! But it is also on one of the main tram routes. Apart from the odd mosquito it is one of the best vegan/vegetarian restuarants I have ever eaten in and I can't recommend it highly enough. It was child friendly, which is not universal in Vienna, and has a small number of seats outside. It is reasonably priced too.

Pros: Varied, tasy menu , friendly staff, Non-smoking inside
Cons: Mostly "meat substitute dishes.
wildfang
wildfang

Nice but not perfect

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2009

I went to try the buffet at Vegetasia once and even though I'm not that much into Asian food it was ok, there was a very big variety of food, soups, salads etc. Only I was a bit unsure about what was vegan and what not. There should be little signs or something indicating the vegan dishes, shouldn't be too hard to do.
The price was ok and I also enjoyed the atmosphere.

Nudelholz
Nudelholz

Not vegan friendly

Posted on 12 / 13 / 2009

This restaurant isn't really vegan friendly. I was there for the lunch buffet today and asked what of the offers is vegan. They gave me the answer that everything on the buffet is vegan.

Starting to eat, I realized that there definitively was egg in the fried rice.

Giving wrong information on the ingrediants of the dishes is a no-go - and the worst mistake that could happen in a restaurant that is said to be "vegan-friendly".

Knowing that I can't trust the information I get there, eating there is really no fun, because you are suspicios with every bite. I also recognized honey on the buffet that was claimed to be completely vegan. In my eyes this is not a trustworthy place. A vegetarian restaurant that cares about the intrests of their coustomers would make sure that the staff dosn't give wrong information. If they even don't manage to organize their place in a way to solve this simple task, who knows what is going wrong there behind the sceens.

So I won't go there again, although the things I tried tasted ok. But - I certainly only want to spend my money where I can trust the information about the ingredients.

Pros: tasted ok, all you can eat buffet at lunchtime
Cons: indicated food as vegan that weren't, I couldn't trust them, Suspicious with every bite
nspanee
nspanee

lots of fake meats

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2009

always on the visit list when in vienna.....
nice atmosphere, good food....

astrovegan
astrovegan

Fabulous

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2009

If you are veg and if you are in Vienna, you must eat here. So many choices, so delicious.

marnia
marnia

Very satisfying experience

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2009

So we got there before they opened for the evening, and grabbed a member of staff on her way out to check they would be opening, she seemed on the verge off offering to let us in because it was so cold, but my partner decided we were too emabarrased. we returned soon after (it felt like much longer in the freezing arctic temperatures) I ate a delicious crispy duck style dish and my partner had a pork dish, she feels it was pretty much the best cooked fake meat dish she had ever eaten. I also enjoyed mine a lot.

Pros: Tasty, good staff, stylish interior
danidancheva
danidancheva

genuine taiwanese cuisine

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

as I've been to Taiwan twice (a great place for vegetarians/vegans to go!!!), I can tell you honestly this place serves the real thing. Some people say "greasy" or "mushrooms" but that's what this cuisine is about - I mean they do fry some things, but they also have great stirfries. So if you don't like fried food there's always an option! Great main courses (always with rice) and fantastic sorbet and red-bean&rice cookies! Tried the buffet the other day - also great - just 6,80Euro a person. Don't accept credit cards for the buffet though, we had a problem there :))

Pros: great food, many vegan dishes, your dog can join you!
Cons: smoking
limade
limade

good value for money

Posted on 08 / 14 / 2008

We went for the luch buffet and were very satisfied.
Good variety of salty and sweet items, some salads and sushi. A lot of the offerings were deep fried which is nice occasionally but you couldn't eat like this every day. They also offer a reasonably priced lunch menu which I have not tried yet.

Dedflwrs
Dedflwrs

Good food!

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2008

They had a menu in English and the waitress was able to communicate pretty well which was nice. We order some crispy potato pancakes (I think that's what they were called) and they were delicious! I order the Peking Duck which was a bit salty but still very enjoyable. The fried rice was good as well. The only real minus was the little mice running by (we were sitting outside) which was a bit unsettling but living in the country myself and having to deal with the same problem I don't believe it necessarily reflects on lack of cleanliness.

Pros: Extensive menu, Friendly Staff, Ambiance
andrea
andrea

If you're really hungry

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2008

I have to admit I wasn't excited about some of the dishes because they were loaded with a couple of ingredients I don't really like (notably mushrooms). But overall they were pretty good. Watch out for the two/three items that are not vegan; ask and they will tell you. The little dim-sum type items were extremely greasy. Really to the point of not being worth eating at all. Couple of salads were nice too. It was so busy I don't know why some of the food seemed so soggy.

kamikazekid
kamikazekid

Really good

Posted on 10 / 10 / 2007

Had a fantastic meal at Vegetasia - really nice surroundings (though be warned - as with everywhere in Vienna people think nothing of smoking in restaurants or having their dog accompany them!) and great food. Lots of choice though we struggled a bit in translating and sussing which items were vegan. My boyfriend thought the food was a bit too salty though I thought it was fine. I couldn't eat there every day but it's certainly a really good restaurant

Pros: Tasty food, Helpful staff
Cons: A bit smoky