Vegetariskt Matcafe Legume

Vegetariskt Matcafe Legume is a buffet style veggie restaurant where food is cooked and displayed in a warm case. Open for lunch. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean
Hornsgatan 80 (Tube: Zinkensdamm/Mariatorget)
Stockholm, Sweden 11821
+46-8-6693535

First Review by gisaster25
Sakuru
Sakuru

Little dissappointed

Posted on 07 / 26 / 2014

Visited here with a company of ten. Considering how much hassle it was when half of the group were kids, the staff was very nice and helpful.

The food was nothing special. Some of the food was not vegan and you have to ask which ones. There was few sallads or other very fresh dishes. Some of the warm dishes were tasty. But.

Why this inconvenience of asking for the food? On a buffet one likes to taste new dishes first, very small portions to find out which are the best. Now I wasn't sure about the taste because everything was mixed up on the plate. Also had to eat a lot of something that I didn't really like and then couldn't enjoy the dishes that I liked.

As much as I would like to praise a vegetarian restaurant, I have to say I wont come again as long as the system of getting the food remains the same.

Pros: Some tasty dishes, Friendly staff, Inexpensive
Cons: Portions assemled by request, Not solely vegan
si-moon
si-moon

Boring interior - great food

Posted on 11 / 23 / 2013

It's cheap.
It's good.
It will fully satisfy even the "but isn't that a vegetarian restaurant?!"-guy.

I have been here twice and you know what you're going to get. A plate and a served buffé.
I'm not saying that the interior is terrible, but why not make it a little bit more cosy? Fix those lightbulbs maybe? Paint the walls? Make it not look like your nighbourhood pizzeria!

Pros: Sneeze protective glass over the buffé, Eat as much as you like, Cheap
Cons: Boring atmoshpere, Smile at the customers?, Better cups for coffee/tea
saramarshall
saramarshall

I love this place!

Posted on 11 / 07 / 2013

In need of some vegetables on my first trip to Stockholm, we came across this magical "legume" cafe and it met all of our needs. Wonderful vegetarian buffet of middle eastern style including salad, vegetables, hummus, falafel, börek, lasagne, moussaka. I always think I'll go back for seconds, but it's so hearty I rarely do. Water, coffee/tea and bread are included in the price, which at 80k is pretty great. The staff are always really friendly too.

Pros: Delicious food, Variety, Staff

Katt Hernandez
Katt Hernandez

fabulous

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2013

den här är min favorit vegetarisk resturang i Stockholm. De har också en bylligt grej- det "hussets smörgås" som är en ganska stor smörgås med många grönsaker, homous och sås på- det kan blir vegan om man bara frågga att de sätta ingen yoghurt på. 49:- spän bara! Man kan ta soppa för 50:- också. Stora platen är 85:- men är helt fantastisk-

Pros: Jätte gott mat, Två billigt option, Vänliga
Cons: Cafe eller Te kostar extra, ingen mer!
LindaSteel
LindaSteel

Perfect for lunch

Posted on 11 / 23 / 2012

Many vegan disches to choose from on the buffet, and they let you get seconds. What is there not to like?

Barbapapa249
Barbapapa249

Good value

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2012

This restaurant offers a vegetarian buffet, most of the salad dishes and a few of the hot dishes seemed to be vegan. All is prepared before hand and kept warm behind the counter. There seemed to be quite some variety in the dishes, they had falafel, börek, lasagne, mousaka, a curry-type dish + several salads. Water and coffee/tea are included in the very cheap price. Seemed popular with locals (regulars).

Pros: Variety in dishes, Good value, Quick bite
Cons: Food not warm enough
sglcklch
sglcklch

Decent, affordable buffet

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

I popped in here for a quick lunch before my flight back home. I thought it'd be a bit far to get to on foot from Slussen, but it was actually very much walkable. Took me less than 10 minutes.

They served an all-you-can-eat buffet for SEK80. The day I went, only one warm main course and the falafel were not vegan, all the rest of the main courses and salads (more than 10 choices in total) were. Staff told me there were eggs in the falafel, which IMO was a completely unnecessary ingredient. But well, it was what it was.

Technically you can go for seconds, thirds, fourths or however many times you'd like, but as the display cabinets are only open on their side, you have to tell them which one and how much you want and they will pick it for you. I can understand their reason for doing so, but I just found it a little annoying. Plus I don't really like different foods all piled up on one another, and I'm sure some people feel the same, in here I'd just have to suck it up or risk coming off as pesky.

Granted, all that was just my pet peeve. Food was good, price couldn't be beat, staff was cordial, and the place was spotless. Would definitely come again next time in town.

Pros: great value, good food
Cons: can't pick own food
olia_m
olia_m

Recommended

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2012

Buffet with a rich choice of meals. The food is excellent, you get very good value for money. Once you paid for tea or coffee, you can take it as much as you like.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Lotte
Lotte

gone there twice

Posted on 08 / 29 / 2011

The food was awesome. You pay 80 krona and you can eat as much as you want. Water and crispbread were for free. You can also buy other drinks and some dishes. The atmosphere and the service were nice. That is why we went there twice. Except for three dishes (lasagne, tzatziki and falafel) everything was vegan.

Pros: good assortment, nice atmosphere, inexpensive
RisingForce
RisingForce

Great place

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2010

Contrary to what the other reviewer said, the guy behind the counter did speak English, admittedly not fluently, but he understood what I wanted perfectly well and was happy to point out the vegan dishes which were the big majority of what was on offer. The food was really tasty and plentiful. He put a huge spoonful on my plate of all the dishes I chose. You can eat as much as you want for 80 kronor (a bit less than £8), so I went back for a second helping, making myself almost sick in the end. I think it's really cheap for Stockholm. The food was delicious, with mainly Middle Eastern type dishes. It was a very hot day so the free icy water was very welcome.

Pros: Cheap, Delicious food, Simple, straightforward dishes
gisaster25
gisaster25

Tasty, affordable lunch on the terrace

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2008

I had a very nice lunch platter here comprising a selection of the cold items in their glass case. I had: potato salad, marinated tempeh, hummus, stuffed grape leaves, cucumber & tomato salad, lentil salad. It really hit the spot.

A few words of warning: the woman at the counter (where you order) speaks no English so be prepared to gesture wildly or enlist a Swede to help translate. Also, they sell some refrigerated fruit drinks with natural-looking imagery on the cans that are in fact Parmalat-produced, chemical-laden, foul concoctions containing no real juice; pour yourself a free glass of water instead!

Pros: Yummy lunch , Cheap for Stockholm, Sit outside on the terrace
Cons: No English spoken, Bad fruit drinks

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetariskt Matcafe Legume: