Vegetariansky Klub Govinda...

Govinda's Vegetarian Club. Veggie food and Indian sweets. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, Czech, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by Teacher in Prague
Teacher in Prague
Teacher in Prague

• non-vegetarian

Good but bland

3 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2008

I'm an English Ausralian living in Prague. This restaurant is 10 minutes from home and when I found it I was really excited. I love my Indian food. I'd eaten at Govinda restaurants in Australia and I'd visited various Hari Krishna places around the world.

In Prague there is a brilliant Indian restaurant called Taj Mahal, but I paid $80 for two and you can't afford that too often on a high school teacher's pay. Consequently Govindas was entered with great anticipation.

Govindas was clean, welcoming, bright and nicely decorated. You go to a hatch at the rear where a nice Czech lady with excellent English explains that you pay 105czk and for that, you can just keep coming back till you are full.

She gave me a thali with various vegetarian dishes on it, and a drink in a metal container - just like in India. I am not a vegetarian so I was not concerned with the specifics.

I was unfortunately disappointed. Hari Krishna food is called prasad - a dedication of food to Krishna. And by definition it is Indian. But the food I was given had never seen an Indian spice. You can buy all the spices needed right here in Prague so it must be a decision by Govindas to keep the food bland for a Czech clientelle.

I'll go again. It is friendly, cheap and near where I live, but I will keep looking for an Indian restaurant I can afford. Govindas unfortunately needs a strong injection of someone who is actually Indian, or at the very least they need to look at a few videos on Youtube that show how to make Indian food, because Indian it aint.

Just on another point, the vegetarian place called Country Life in Prague would have to be the blandest, most uninteresting food I have every eaten in my life, but the food at Govindas isn't far behind. Please please please Govindas, if you read this review, please offer something that is spicey. It doesn't have to melt spoons, but it should have some of the subtle flavours we associate with Indian food, not the blandness we associate with Czech food.

Pros: Clean and welcoming, Friendly and happy people, Good value for money.
Cons: Bland food., Needs an Indian influence in the kitchen, Maybe some music please?

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetariansky Klub Govinda - Palmovka: