Vegetariano Zanahoria

Veggie restaurant and also a small health food store. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Mexican

First Review by Nefarity
choogirl
choogirl

Good

4 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2014

I had the lunch menu of the day, which was vegan and they substituted the dairy based dessert for a granola bar type thing. I also liked the range of products to buy, including soy milk yogurt in various flavours and hummus.

Pros: Good range of vegan products
Cons: Not in the city centre
iHarp
iHarp

• non-vegetarian

Excellent vegetarian option in Guadalajara

5 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2012

My partner is vegetarian, and when we lived in the USA, vegetarian dining options were plentiful. Unfortunately, when we moved to Mexico, the options dropped to almost nothing. In the city we live on (Tepic), there is only one true vegetarian restaurant. Now that we've had a chance to visit Guadalajara, we were able to fond another true vegetarian option.

First, the concept of vegetarian in Mexico is very different from the true concept. Here, they think that if they offer a dish or two with vegetables, that is vegetarian. Never mind the asada, salchichas (sausages), and pollo that have touched the same plate preparation counter. Our trip to Zanahoria made is feel, if for just a moment, that we were back in the states at a high quality, service oriented vegetarian restaurant.

Zanahoria is a clean, nicely decorated restaurant with, friendly staff. We came at a late hour (5:00pm, they close at 7:00pm), so unfortunately quite a few of their special offerings has run out. Fortunately, the things that removed were still excellent.

My partner had the crepe with mushrooms and queso Chihuahua, and I had the flautas. Both of our meals came from the prix fixxe menu, so we also received a fruit salad with yogurt and granola (the green salad had run out), sopa de fideo (a vegetable soup with thin, spaghetti like noodles), a bread basket, a tapioca style custard, and agua de avena (oatmeal water tasted very much like horchata).

Everything was fresh and tasty. For me, there was too much food, but I wanted to enjoy the moment, so I took my time and ate everything.

The location of Zanahoria was kind of far from Centro Histórico, where we were staying, but Guadalajara is a big city. If you're taking a taxi, plan on a $50-$100 peso fare, depending on distance and traffic.

I highly recommend this restaurant and would love to see more reviews for this fantastic restaurant.

Pros: huge variety, friendly staff, prix fixxe menu
Cons: don't arrive too late, location far from Centro Histórico
TaniaRS
TaniaRS

Muy recomendable

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2011

La comida es muy buena, el menu es de comida corrida pero se puede adaptar a tus necesidades, el ambiente es muy agradable, el personal es super amable y atentos. El restaurante tambien cuenta con un pequeña seccion de tienda donde puedes encontar productos veganos y hay una seccion de biblioteca.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
Elba
Elba

I fell in LOVE

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2010

I loved eating here, everyone is so friendly.
The environment is beautiful, the colors of the
business was very bold and positive. I had the
vegan milanesa with freshly juiced cucumber juice
and international rice (it was brown rice with diffrent
cut vegis in it) and my parents had albondigas (faux meatballs) with a big salad (i forgot what it was called)
but in general the food was really good. not greasy nor too expensive. the food took awhile to cook but we didn't mind.
they also have a little section where they sell books, frozen meals, faux meats, bread, shampoos, lotions and deserts. it was really nice being able to eat something that wasn't greasy in guadalajara. i really enjoyed it.
5/5 cows :D

Pros: Healthy food, BIG Variety , Outdoor and Indoor seating
Cons: Small parking lot, Hard to find
Nefarity
Nefarity

Drop Dead Delicious:

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2008

A beautifully set restaurant in a city drowning in meaty eateries; it has an extremely extensive menu of the most heavenly vegan and vegetarian dishes. They are open to all type of dietary accommodations, be it for personal, dietary, or health related reasons. The place is really clean and the vegetarian manager is usually on site. It is also part health food store where one can actually find FAUX MEATS, and it sells a variety of tasty breads and cookies and snacks to satisfy even the most demanding whole wheat-fiends... The dishes are made on order, so everything is fresh, including their wonderful fresh juices, veganized Mexican dishes, and tasty breakfasts. The prices are just right, the servings are enough for a doggy bag, and the ambiance and manager are most charming. A must go for any veg stranded in Guadalajara.

PS: The Soy Ceviche is a must, with whole wheat tostadas.

Pros: Exquistite food, Many vegan options, Veg/Yogi Manager usually on site
Cons: Absolutely None!!

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetariano Zanahoria: