Vegetariano Social Clube

Culinaria organica. Weekday buffet lunch with soup, salad, and other choices. A la carte dinner with stroganof, pasta, and more. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Buffet, Organic, Brazilian

First Review by msutton911
mg66
mg66

Our GO-TO Vegetarian Place in Rio

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2014

We love this place. Not every single dish is a home run, but we love it for the creativity. We are always inspired by trying new things here. Their vegan reinterpretations of many classic Brazilian dishes make Brazilian cuisine experience available to vegans. For that alone, you should not miss it. We come here every time we are in Rio and try something new. Service is very friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere is very enjoyable - crisp and modern. It is also easy to find in Leblon, which is a plus.

Pros: excellent, creative food, nice ambiance
YahelSherman
YahelSherman

• raw

after 3 times

3 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2013

I can say it's only ok .. The buffa was the best ...but it's util 5-6Pm the pizza it's ok ..and I ask the most poplar dish and I didn't like it ! Something with rice & mushroom with coconut dress ..

imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Great vegan food in Leblon

5 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

I came here for lunch today and it was very good. I wasn't wildly impressed with the buffet choices, so I ordered a tofu-filled oat pancake with a side salad and it was wonderful, really tasty and filling, and significantly cheaper than the buffet. I would definitely like to come here again as their dinner menu looked pretty good too.

Pros: Tasty, filling vegan food, Cosy atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Buffet was quite expensive with few choi
Zambezikid
Zambezikid

Just ok

3 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

This place is a small cafe style diner in Leblon. As it's the most expensive suburb in Rio, the prices are bit on the steep side too, though I was still grateful for some veggoe nosh!

You can expect to pay RL30 for an all-you-can-eat vegan buffet with about 5 choices. Drinks and dessert are extra. Food was okay, not exceptional.

Pros: Not many veggie places in the beach subu
Cons: average food, expensive
DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

Just ok I guess

3 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2013

I know a lot of people here is going crazy about Vegetariano Social Club, but for me it tasted just good, specially after going to "Refeitorio Organico" and "Universo Organico".

The only special option was a bunch of vegetables with a pesto sauce. The rest tasted just as "everyday brazillian food" but expensive.

eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Not bad for Brazil

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

The food here is certainly not top notch gourmet, but considering we're talking about Rio, where veg options aren't exactly ubiquitous, you could certainly do a lot worse.

The restaurant is very crisp, clean and modern - if only the aircon was turned down a little it would be quite a pleasant place to eat. You can sit outside though if you want to avoid the cold air and watch the passers by... it's a trendy area situated just near a theatre of sorts, so generally a nice place to be.

The juices here are great - quite possibly the best in town. They have some good vege juice combos and you can get them in jugs to share (1 jug = about 3 glasses). We came back several times just for these alone. The soups are also really good and filling. The main courses are not their strong point but they are doable all the same - we liked that they felt healthy, not heavy or oily, etc.

The staff don't speak a word of English but the menu is translated so you can just point and smile. Don't expect many smiles back though, they are quite stern in manner, not all that friendly.

Overall though this is a really useful establishment and certainly worth checking out. The food is organic and the prices aren't outrageous (for Rio, that is!) so as long as you don't go in expecting 5 star gourmet (some of the dishes are a bit on the bland side, others are much better) you should come out feeling energized and happy.. which for us is the main thing, anyway.

Pros: organic!!, healthy feel, great vege juices
Cons: no english, not many smiles, some dishes a bit bland/average
dnmp
dnmp

Really Good Food & Delivers Locally

4 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

I ordered food from here for delievery when I was in Rio and I really liked the food. It was really good and filling.

I had the pumpkin soup and the mushroom risotto. I also tried the banana pie that didn't have any added sugar. The pie was okay but is a great option for those who do not like consuming a lot of cane sugar.

The soup was filling and allowed me to keep some of the risotto for the next day. The risotto re-heated well.

Pros: Lots of food options, Large Portions
Cons: Delievery time is long
emilc
emilc

Little, but good

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

With the limited vegan choices in the Zona Sul neighborhoods, it's great that this place is around. It's very tiny - only a few tables (we ate outside), and has a homely feel. We came here a couple of times during our stay. The buffet has about six hot options (vegan feijoada - or Brazilian black bean stew, on Sunday), a soup, and some fresh salads/dressings. The price was about 29 R$ for all-you-can-eat buffet. The food was very tasty and filling. You can also sit at one of the two outdoor tables.

I agree with one of the posters below that this place has THE BEST caipirinha in all of Rio, served with organic cachaca liquor. (And just next door is "Academia Cachaca", a supposedly hip caipirinha bar- with caipirinhas that were not as good).

Credit cards accepted. Minimal English spoken, but menu is bilingual (EN/PT). Staff is courteous.

Pros: Feijoada stew, Tasty meals
Cons: Small
rosie
rosie

Good buffet range

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

went there a few times as there isn't a huge veggie choice in Rio. The buffet was nice - a bit pricey by Rio standards -29 Real, about $15. There was a good range of hot dishes, salads and soup. Drinks and puddings are extra. My Brazilian friend thought everything was vegan - but you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell that from their website. The hot dishes generally feature a veggie version of the national dish, some sort of black bean stew. I had a vegan chocolate cake which was nice - not that sweet but covered in a gooey sweet date sauce. The waitress was quite insistent that it was cocoa cake, rather than chocolate. The staff don't speak English, but the menu is in Portuguese and English. The staff are rather reluctant to serve you (luckily the buffet is self service), especially if you don't speak Portuguese, so it was a long wait for a drink.

Pros: Range of food, English menu
Cons: A little hard to find, a little pricey
missrok
missrok

Tasty food, relaxed place

4 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

This is more of a bar really, located in a shopping center in Leblon so don't expect a fancy dinner. The buffet is small but tasty, with simple food based mostly on local ingredients. The staff does not speak English but they have a menu in English (and also everything's vegan anyway so feel free to experiment:-). I ate there last week (June 2012) and it was a very welcome change after all that rice and beans... Make sure to try their fresh juices, the lemon-basil-apple-orange one was amazing!

Pros: relaxed atmosphere, fresh juices, buffet (easy if you don't speak Portuguese)
Cons: very small
jcjames11
jcjames11

Great wholesome lunch

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2011

Visited 11/10/11 and had a great lunch. Started with the soup. Then had a lovely plate of salad. Then there were many lovely dishes.This was a great buffet and good value. Had the juice of the day. The place was nice and busy. They English drinks list.

Pros: Good food, Good value, Friendly staff
bignameactress
bignameactress

Wonderful vegetarian oasis!

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2011

Vegetariano Social Clube was very welcomed nutritious change to our diet while in Rio.
Unlike some buffets that are hit-and-miss, every item on their lunch buffet was a hit! The banana pie and the chocolate ice cream were really delicious!

I was only disappointed to discover it on my last day in Rio. I will find a hotel near it next time I return to Rio!

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly staff, excellent food
nspanee
nspanee

healthy greens at the lunch buffet

4 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2011

had lunch there. the buffet costs 24 reais. it had a soup, rice, stroganoff, beans, a very delicious pumpkinsquash, different cooked greens, beetroot, carrot and green salad, as well as a olive/mango/papaya/green salad. all on the very healthy side. a perfect light meal for a hot day. i was curious about the mango salad but it was great. all the different flavours worked well. i'm usually not a friend of mixes of salty and sweet things. definately the most expensive place we ate out since in brazil but i guess this is rio and especially leblon and the area....but we go there again to check their dinner menu.
staff was quickly with cleaning the tables after people left but not very attentive with the guests there. i mean the buffet is self service so they only have to look for drinks, not too much to do then....

Pros: light food, no fried or oily stuff, delicious
  • nspanee nspanee

okay the staff there is like valium but when they know what you want you don't have to wait very long, haha. not the typical open/smiling brazilian way.
    had dinner there one evening. delicious empada, the dough is made of corn i think and its not fried like the others i had. filled with vegetables and tofu. not spicy at all but with some shoyu and oil its okay.
    my boyfriend had a starter(not very special), then stroganoff(mushrooms,palmito and some pumpkin sauce) while i had the rucula, tomato pizza. there was something like a tofu "cheese" kind of sauce underneath the tomatoes. pretty good.
    and another lunch there. rice, beans, green salat everytime but they change the rest(approx. 10 other things) daily.

veganbackpacker
veganbackpacker

Okay antipasto, great soup, delicious ice cream

3 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2010

My husband and I ate here in February 2010. We opted to share two antipasto plates and a soup.

The Couvert de Casa platter was the first to arrive. It consisted of small cubes of tofu with herbs, hummus, eggplant dip, crispy tempeh crackers and some other mixed crackers and veggies. The eggplant dip and tempeh crackers were my favourite. The tofu cubes were a neat idea but they didn't have a lot of flavour and one of them was frozen solid with ice in the middle. We weren't off to a great start.

Our second platter was Mediterranean. The platter included small portions of white beans, grilled vegetables, pita bread, potatoes with a creamy sauce and some more eggplant dip. I liked everything on this platter, especially the potatoes and sauce. I'm not exactly sure what was in there but it had a nice creamy flavour and was well spiced. Each of the platters cost $14 Brazilian Real ($7.75 USD).
We were hesitant to order a soup because the price tag was abnormally high. Soups were priced at $14 Brazilian Real ($7.80 USD), which is more than we typically pay at vegetarian restaurants in Canada. However, we couldn't resist the combination of pumpkin, ginger and coconut. Surprisingly, the soup was our favourite part of the meal. It was very rich, creamy, thick and flavourful. The croutons and spring onion topping were a nice touch.

For our final course, we had the chocolate cake with homemade ginger ice cream. It arrived covered with chocolate sauce, peanuts and two big scoops of soy ice cream. The ice cream had a strong but pleasant ginger flavour and was the group's favourite part. The cake itself was a bit dry and the texture was gritty. Once we manged to thoroughly mash and mix the ice cream, chocolate sauce, peanuts and cake, we had a nice chocolate ginger mess that was quickly devoured. We left with full, happy bellies.

Pros: all vegan, creative, desserts available
Cons: expensive, so so food
ieve
ieve

tasty food, nice place, so-so staff. worth checkin

4 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2009

The food and drinks were very good, the place is nice but the service could be better. The waitresses were a bit rough and seemed uninterested.

Pros: vegan and organic, tasty, location
Cons: staff
missyjane
missyjane

pleasantly surprised

4 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2009

As New Yorkers, we're totally spoiled by outstanding vegan cuisine. When we came here to carni-country, we didn't expect to find good vegan eats and were pleasantly surprised by this restaurant. We both ordered a different pizza, which really hit the spot. The caipirinhas were the best we've had yet in Rio.

Pros: great drinks
Cons: not very "social"--pretty empty there!
foodie
foodie

Not a bad place

3 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2008

I visited this place three times. Unfortunately, each time, the staff were unfriendly and unhelpful as we did not speak portugese! We had to rely on fellow diners to translate for us. We didn't enjoy the vegetable risotto much as it lacked flavour - until we added the restaurant's own chilli sauce! Pizza was tasty. Lovely dish of grilled veg, a kind of humous, chick peas, was enjoyable. Yam soup was a little bland, but had a lovely texture. Portion sizes were good. Overall, we did not enjoy the meals as much as we expected to and found it was too pricey. The poor service really was off-putting, and the only reason we returned was because it stays open so late!

Pros: vegetarian menu, healthy cuisine, long opening hours
Cons: unfriendly staff, expensive
Tayo
Tayo

Too salty

3 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2008

Went there 6-7 times (no other vegan option in Leblon) and tried almost every dish. Good but way too salty! Sweet corner-nothing special. The owner is an ex tourist guide, he speaks english, other staff-zero! The place has a potencial but no atmosphere.

Pros: open late
Cons: too salty, not cosy
kennyp353
kennyp353

I really tried to like this place

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2008

I went there four times - mostly because it's about the only place I found that was open in the evenings. My first experience, the buffet, was frankly pretty terrible - the too-salty comments made by others rung true, and it was very expensive compared to far better vegetarian buffets elsewhere in the city. The soups are good, but expensive - the homemade toast that comes with the soup is amazing; this toast also features in the hummus "couvert" appetiser that I had twice and would thoroughly recommend - though it's better to share as it's pretty big. Main courses were good but nothing exceptional nor even excellent - this place likes to think it's gourmet but it's nothing by international vegetarian standards. The ginger organic caiprinha, on the other hand, is a true classic and if you drink alcohol you must try it. The passionfruit version is also excellent once you get past its look and consistency of frogspawn. So yes, the place is good, but expensive, and if there were other evening options I wouldn't have kept coming back. If you go there without sky-high expectations driven by some of the rabid reviews here, you'll have a better experience than I did.

Pros: Late opening, Organic ginger caiprinha, Homemade toast
Cons: Expensive, Disappointing
msutton911
msutton911

A must try if you are in Rio!

4 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2008

After eating there several times for a week my experience and the food became better abd better. I found out that this location was very popular for local vegans and health conscious people. When you try this place you will soon notice the language barrier but they do have a menu in English. You will definately have to speak up when you need attention from the staff at times but I was ok with that. The vegetarian social club is a nice cozy little spot in Leblon area and it is directly right across the street from a 24 hr supermarket. So if you need fresh veggies and fruit check that place out as well.
I also had a chance to eat at the Vegetarian Social Club during the buffet hours. The buffet was R$ 20.00 and I found it to be really cheap in price considering the fact that everything that was on the buffet was good. When you take a look at the menu which is also online you will find that there are a nice list of appetizers, soups, salads, pizzas and fruit and veggie drinks to choose from as well as deserts.

Pros: Reasonable Prices, Excellent Buffet, Attracts nice and beautiful people
Cons: A bit small for large parties, Language maybe a problem for some people
Guest
Guest

good, but not best ever

3 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2008

I found this place after about a week of eating boring salads at other restaurants. So I was pretty excited to get healthy food! However, while I enjoyed it fairly well at the time, my lasting memory is not as favorable.

The appetizer that we had was pretty good, and the hummus included in that was QUITE good.
I had a bowl of an asian themed soup, which I found to be very salty. I cannot recall the name of my main dish, but it had garbanzo beans with okra, eggplant, and brown rice. The garbanzos and brown rice were very satisfying, but the rest was super salty, and the okra was really slimy and gave me a bit of a stomach ache.
My brother got a vegan pizza and didnt care for it, but I thought it was delicious. there was tofu mixed into the sauce, and no fake cheese. I don{t think there was even any nut. yeast.
The atmosphere was nice, but the service was very inattentive.
It was overall a pretty okay experience, and better than I thought vegan food would be in Rio, but it didn{t knock my socks off.

Pros: nutritionally satisfying, vegan pizza, hummus
Cons: price, service, horrificly salty

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetariano Social Clube: