CLOSED: Vegetariano Madero

Part of a chain throughout the city offering Mexican vegetarian breakfast, lunch, dinner - egg omelets, ensaladas (salads), enchiladas, breads, juices, and meals of the day. Cheese is used in many dishes, so ask for without cheese if vegan. Lots of seating and nice window views onto the street. Confirmed open Apr 2012. JUN 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Mexican
Francisco I. Madero 56, Centro Historico, Del. Cuauhtemoc (Isabel la Catolica, 2 blocks from main square/upstairs/Metro: Zocalo)
Mexico City, Mexico 06000
0155-55216880

First Review by andi_vert
enRoute
enRoute

lovely, historic, tasty

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2012

Lovely place which I just got back to after 5 years away. Vegan options are actually very easy to come by if you explain it to them clearly; great enchiladas and molletes for example. The set menu changes every day and can vary in quality, but it's worth the try, especially for the feeling of being such a part of DF's vegetarian history.

Pros: tasty, historic, piano!
Cons: can be somewhat dull
ulpu
ulpu

Horrible

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2011

This place was a night mare... Nobody spoke English and after a phrase book based explaining I gave the guy my vegan passport to read, which made his face lighten a bit - with the result that he suggested some dairy for me to eat... Finally I did manage to order something that was the worst I have ever eaten in a vegetarian place. Also my non-vegetarian companion was disappointed with his portion. The juice was good, the location nice and prices low. Might be good for a drink, but not for food.

Pros: The place
Cons: "Vegan" not understood, bad food
  • JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

Why should they speak English?

Did you think that Mexico was part of the USA?

• enRoute enRoute

Agree that this is a silly criticism... "horrible" because they did not speak English in a non-English speaking country, and because they didn't recognize the (obscure) vegan passport? Nonsense... this restaurant caters just fine to vegans who take the time to communicate in Spanish. If doing so is that hard, maybe it would be better to stick to other options.

• ulpu ulpu

Ah, still... of course not horrible because of the lack of English. I do speak 5 languages, and I did learn some Spanish too, it's not that I don't try.

But if a waiter in a vegetarian restaurant doesn't understand what is a vegan, there's not a single vegan dish on the list and the food once it arrives is not tasty and the potatoes are raw, I have no reason to not be disappointed. Indeed Mexico City had awesome vegetarian restaurants, but this wasn't one of them. And that is why I did stick to other options and hope other non-native vegans find the good places which have taken effort to serve them.

• ulpu ulpu

Did I say they should speak English? Am just saying that we had problems because we didn't speak Spanish and the waiter didn't speak English. Also he didn't seem to understand what he read in Spanish from my Vegan Passport. This might be considered as an important note by those fellow vegan travelers who also don't speak Spanish. So no need to be upset, am not an imperialist nor is English my mother tongue, but I enjoy places where this international language is spoken and understood.

andi_vert
andi_vert

More options please !

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2009

The food is pretty good, but they don't have many vegan options; it's a nice place for vegetarians, though.

Pros: tasty food
Cons: Staff isn't aware of vegan options, few vegan options, not 100% vegetarian

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Vegetariano Madero: