CLOSED: Vegetarian...

The Itano's have operated vegetarian restaurant since 1975 and are now serving an international menu in their private home. Seating is limited to 20 guests per night. Please call for more info or email itano@sbcglobal.net. AUG 2013 REPORTED SHUT BY OWNER. more-less
8198 Peppertree Ln

• Cash only

First Review by litano

great vege joint

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2013

One of my favorite restaurants, lovely food, great chefs and staff and peaceful ambiance. I never have to worry about what I'm eating cos its all 100% vegetarian and with added love.
I would highly recommend it.

The Itano Family and Ellen are the Bomb!

5 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2013

Delightful, Delectable, and just simply Down to Earth. These are the words that come first to my mind when I think about my experience at the Vegetarian Underground Restaurant. The ambiance was comforting and the aromas that were coming from the kitchen created such anticipation, we couldn't wait to experience the moment when we could actually satisfy our pallets. After the first bite my husband and I were hooked. The food just kept coming and coming. They truly went out of their way to make sure we had enough to eat. The salad, the miso soup, the spring rolls, and tempura (huge variety) were truly amazing. Just when we thought it was over, they served us dessert. Organic carrot cake, vegan chocolate cake, and baklava. They served all three as a sampler or we had the option of having an individual slice of our choice. My husband and I chose the sampler because we couldn't decide on just one choice. They all looked and smelled so great. We were completely stuffed. We definitely got our monies worth and then some. We can't wait until the next time they post their menu for the next dinner. Our mouths water with excitement and anticipation. Thank You Itano's for a wonderful time and scrumptious dinner!

With Love,

The Singh's (Monica and Ajay)

Updated from previous review on Thursday February 07, 2013

Pros: excellent food, great ambiance, very clean

Lloyd Itano is Latino?

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

Hello everybody, I wanted to officially adopt Lloyd Itano into the Latino Brotherhood. He can really make some great Mexican food! At first I did not believe it. But then, I remembered him making some tasty veggie enchiladas at this old Open Sesame restaurant in Newport Beach. About 40 years ago! Recently, I went to a party at which he he had made a big platter of corn tortilla(of course) enchiladas. They were the first things to be tried by everybody. So good. He dumbed down the spice a little for the uninitiated, but since Lloyd is also the King of Spice (he grows the hottest peppers in his backyard)he can always cater to anybody's heat level. So much flexibility. Lloyd "Latino" is in Orange County to stay. Thank Heaven.

Pros: Wide international cooking expertise, Makes you laugh while enjoying his food, Uses best and freshest ingredients

from JS

5 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2012

Have eaten here twice and am delighted. The atmosphere is lovely, warm and friendly. Much of the produce comes from the Itano's own garden so it's really fresh. The 5 course Thanksgiving dinner was beautifully prepared, delicious, and truly satisfying. Last Saturday I sat down to a sumptuous and scrumtious Middle Eastern dinner. The lentil soup was so savory and delicious I could have had a complete meal with just the soup and salad. The fried potatoes are addictive. A tender slice of potato with a tender crispy tempura. The hummas, falafel, tabouli all delicious. The babaganoush was the best I have eaten...smooth and creamy. Loved the shish kabob with pineapple and how refreshing to have quinoa instead of rice. Now for the dessert. I didn't think I could eat another bite until I tasted Lloyd's baklava. It was this wonderful concoction of tender phyllo with nuts and something deliciously sweet and warm with spices. Add a slice of moist chocolate cake to round out the meal and complete with coffee and teas. Wow.

Pros: excellent food, ambiance , all you can eat
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Vegetarian Underground Restaurant: