Vegetarian Restaurant by Hakin

Miami vegan restaurant. Has daily specials, vegan pancake breakfast. Small and casual. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Caribbean, Juice bar, Take-out, Delivery

First Review by trutus
Yami
Yami

amazing comfort food

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2014

This place is amazing and so are the people .I love the patties and the people are so friendly.

vegan james
vegan james

Vegan food

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2013

Love this place it's all Vegan so that is cool, a must try if you are in Miami.

Pros: Vegan, clean, Friendly staff
steveveg
steveveg

5 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2013

We arrived a little late. They had a good day, so not much was still available. Nevertheless, we had the Vegan Fish - it was quite good. The service was very friendly. We should go again when we have more choices.

Pros: Vegan, friendly staff

Lrice
Lrice

You won't regret it

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at how great the food was in this unassuming establishment. The food was very flavorful and may very well be the most tasty vegan food I've had at a South Florida restaurant. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Food, Owner's warm personality, Friendly staff
Cons: Not open on Saturday, the actual shoping plaza is dated
Julie R
Julie R

AMAZING - LOVE IT

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2012

10 words or less: Fantastic, Fantastic, Fantastic. Eat here! Trust me!

Now, my wordy review. This is my new favorite vegan restaurant anywhere! It's been here a long time, but I just discovered it. It was the best food I have ever had. I tried a lot of the things on the menu, and each one was better than the next! I started with Jamaican Veggie Patty with Ackee. Oh, it was SO delicious. It's an appetizer and big enough to share with a friend if you are also getting a regular meal. It was so hearty and tasty! Next time, I won't be sharing it with anyone! I then ordered the "No-Bull Vegan Bar-B-Que Ribs Sandwich". It is served on a wheat baguette and was simply out of this world. The "meat" was so tender and flavorful. It came with a beautiful salad with dark greens and carrots, etc. It was plenty of food. In between the courses, my server brought us a sampling of a delicious strawberry / pineapple smoothie. The little sample left me wanting more! It was very good. My friend had a fantastic full meal. It was the Wednesday special of Curried Chicken Vegan Nuggets. It came with a lot of other good stuff - a salad, some delicious rice, cabbage that was so good, and something called soya. I don't know what soya is, but it was amazing; it was like a little stew with soy meat in it! I could really go on and on about the food, but you get the picture. Everything was delicious and very fresh tasting. Our server was a wonderful young man who was quick to explain everything on the menu. The service was really great. We were given a sample of a fantastic coconut thing for dessert. I don't know exactly what it was, but it was good. There are several choices of vegan desserts, we were just too full to order anything else.

There are a lot of tables inside, and it is also a store filled with lots of healthy stuff to buy. It was very clean. Parking is free in front of the restaurant; no problem there.

I can't wait to go back here. Miami lacks great vegan places and I so glad to have a new place to eat. I enjoyed it immensely. Oh, and the prices are great. Everything was very reasonably priced; my sandwich was $9.75, and my friend's huge meal was only $9.95 - the value is superb.

DIRECTIONS: It's only a couple blocks east of I-95 on 167th Street on the north side of the street. If you're going west on 167th, turn in right before the Wendy's and it will be right in front of you. (B'tween N Miami Ave & NE 2 Ave.)

Pros: Exceptional food, Big variety, Service is excellent
Neweden
Neweden

A+++

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2011

Beautiful, clean and friendly staff to top it off. The food was so good we wanted to turn around and get more as we were driving to our hotel, but it was rush hour traffic.
My daughter (4yrs old), very picky and only likes mommy's cooking said "this food is sooooooooooooo good." You've got a winner, we'll be in town for a week and mark my word, we will be back. Vegans have no fear this is our spot.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
HowardPacker
HowardPacker

Great Local Vegan Food in Miami

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2011

If not for Happy Cow, I would never have known of this place. It is in a small strip center on a very busy road, surrounded by other businesses that drown out its low key appearance.

I called ahead of time to check on hours, and to see if there is outdoor seating available. Since they have outdoor tables, I was able to bring my vegan dog (eats special, nutritionally complete vegan dog food) along to let him sample a few bites of the fare. Animal friendly is a definite plus, in my book.

While waiting for my friend to arrive for dinner, I was able to observe the inside of the restaurant. Two words that come to mind to describe what I saw are: "simple" and "clean." I was able to observe staff cleaning while awaiting the arrival of customers, and it is quite evident that the staff cleans and maintains everything properly. There are some tables inside, but this is a small business with friendly staff and an onsite owner. I consider this another plus.

Although the sign on the restaurant uses the word vegetarian, everything in the place is completely vegan. Vegans: no worries about ordering anything.

We really enjoyed favorites mentioned by other reviewers like the Philly Cheezesteak and the velvet cake. However, other items like their smoothies were tops (so good that we each had two). If they have the tiramisu when you dine there, get some!

I will definitely go there again.

Pros: Delicious, Healthy, Good value
Cons: Easy to miss on the road.
little lily
little lily

Wonderful experience

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2011

This was by far the best food we had on our recent visit to Miami. We liked it enough to return 3 times in as many days. It's hard enough to find vegan food in a restaurant, much less healthy. This is both. Entirely vegan, so we could order anything from the menu without worries. They make the best food, without oils or artificial ingredients.
Sandwiches, pancakes, scrambled tofu - whatever you order, absolutely delicious. Fresh made juices - wow. Smoothies - yummers! Vegan Red Velvet cake - so good. Everyone in the restaurant was so kind and welcoming, making the whole experience a delight. Hakim is passionate about vegan food and health, we enjoyed a long conversation with him. It's fun to meet people who share our passion about healthy eating.

Pros: healthy, delicious, reasonable prices
Cons: none
mborrero
mborrero

Tasty

4 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2011

Not only is this place affordable (even though no prices are listed on the menu), the food is fantastic, a wonderful combination of flavors. Something for every vegetarian or non veggie person. A must try is the soup!!!

sgfeldman
sgfeldman

The Best

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2011

With very few places in north miami to eat vegan, my son and I found this little place. The food is amazing!!!

tinkerbell
tinkerbell

Great food, great welcome

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2011

Found this restaurant easy with the sat nav. Received a great welcome from the owner and the staff. There was a great choice of food on the menu. I can recommend the home made soup and the curry. My son loved the veggie burger. Worth the visit- we returned again before we left Miami Beach.

Pros: Great choice of food, Friendly staff
Krutolow
Krutolow

Little hole in the wall that could!

4 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2010

Read the full review with pics at Marty's Flying Vegan Review at www.martysnycveggiereview.blogspot.com

Website link just says "Coming Soon" as of this writing.

Well, if the name isn't the most generic sounding name of any restaurant I don't know what is.

After a GPS navigational error I found the unobtrusive place at the corner of a strip mall. It's not a a *corner* just the corner of this group of stores. There are more things to the left.

Looks easy but traffic is oncoming just at your right. There were some obstructions, (trees), that blocked the unassuming non eye catching signage.
The place had both a too small cramped feeling about it to the left, where the counter was with a (really?) massage chair stuffed into the corner, (Not for waiting, only for massage customers), and an open airy stay as long as you want zen mediation health food items on shelves for sale kitchen chairs on tables sort of feel to it.

Yeah, this is to the right.

This is to the left but you can't see the massage chair way to the left. Just a bit in front of the plants is the line of demarcation between functional and zen.

I sort of had a need for a true Jamaican Veggie Pattie. They homemake 4: Soya, chicken, spinach and I can't remember. (Served only to us pre alzheimers folks).

There was no chicken, (of course), so I had a soy. It was soooooo good. Little bits of soy protein that gave the patty a nice chewy mouthfeel and the corn just popped with sweet explosions and mixed with all the other veggie flavor. The crust was a tad on the crumbly/dry side but it was whole wheat and there was more than enough moist filling to go around.

I scarfed that one down in the store.

The dark brown on the outside is a paper bag.

I had to be in Miami to take care of some stuff and did manage to wait to eat the ... of course you know what it is, the Philly Cheeze Steak sandwich.

Man, I think this was one of the best I ate ever. The whole wheat bread had that perfect crust and chewy middle with a great combination of sweet and yeasty.

The seitan was definitely home made and was combined with the cheese to form this mushy yet textured meaty filling. And, and, and, there was enough of it to nicely fill the bread. (You really can't tell from the angle and the way the top half of the sandwich is splayed open. ...

Pros: Great food, cheap-ish, Easy on off I 95
fiskadoro
fiskadoro
  • non-vegetarian

Good food, large portion

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2010

Tasty food and very nice sized portions. You get an entree and a choice of sides - I chose a medium ($5.95) and I got a lunch that was so filling I wanted to take a nap.

Of course size isn't the most important thing, the food was well-cooked, excellently seasoned, and the atmosphere was sedate and homey. I usually don't care for mock meats at all, but theirs was soooo good! Fans of Caribbean food take note!

Pros: tasty, large portions
MonicaWeinhold
MonicaWeinhold

EXCELLENT food! Great taste, fresh and HEALTHY!!

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2009

This place is one of the best vegetarian restaurants in Miami (if no the BEST!). Hakin's food is so tasty and fresh, you will go back for sure. If we want to eat out, it's our first option to choose. Try the brunch on Sundays. He has this great "scrambled non-eggs" made with ackee (an exotic fruit) that taste better than eggs! Also his juices are very, very good! So fresh and original!
Thanks Hakin! We need more people like you in Miami! ;)

Pros: TASTY, Healthy, Relaxed
Cons: Far from us, Just one location
piffelina
piffelina

the tangerine juice was a dream!

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

i got some pancakes, and scrambled tofu that was alright. also, one gargantuan philly steak sandwich to go, to have later on, on the road.

everything was great, but especially the tangerine juice. yum!

angelorozco
angelorozco

Great Place

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2009

This restaurant in phenomenal. Not only the food is great but Hakin( The owner) goes out of his way to make you feel welcomed. The restaurant offers free movies to raise consciosness on Saturday nights. Vegan desserts and fresh juices are also available. It is worth the 20 minute drive from my place to get there. I highly recommend it.

Pros: Excellent food, Big portions, Great value
Cons: Only 1 location, Closed daytine on Saturdays
Lisa
Lisa

I wish I lived closer!

4 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2009

I went here today because I was in the area. I'm in love! I got a huge portion of delicious food for like 7 bucks. Plus I got a slice of zucchini bread to go and it was out of this world! Definitely check it out, I will try to go back again and again!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly people, 100% vegan!
Cons: Food not super warm
EllieEverlasting
EllieEverlasting

Definitely check this place out ;)

5 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2009

I absolutely love this restaurant.
I happened to stumble upon it when I was looking for a good veg restaurant to grab something for lunch that was near my fiance's work.
Veg food in Miami is VERY hit or miss (mostly miss) so I walked in figuring I wouldn't be impressed. The reality was that I was blown away.
I've been taken aback by a lot of upscale alternative lifestyle restaurants, but none that were normal affordable eateries with the exception of a specific few that are nowhere near Florida, haha.
Hakin's food puts you in the position to be blown away because he knows spice and flavoring. It's truly the clean tasting soul food-ish vegetarian food that your mom never made you. The patties are sensational, and the portions are large. The mock meat is just... wow. Specifically the mock fish. Everyone I know goes "EEWW!" when mock meat is brought up, but those I've gotten to try this "fish" meal have become hooked. The other meals are very very good, but that's my personal favorite.
Oh, and regarding the patties- most people prefer the spinach but it's too much spinach for me (and I love the stuff so I didn't think that was possible, lol) but the spiced tofu something-or-other is amazing.
The juices, smoothies, breads, and DESSERTS are worth mentioning (GET THE CHEESECAKE).
Hakin is super friendly and the down to earth feel of the place and wonderful food will keep me coming back for sure.

P.S. It's actually all vegan! ;) +++ they have free wifi

Pros: good value, amazing food, down to earth environment
nardanddee
nardanddee

I'd go there again

3 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2009

I had the large lunch special with the herbed 'chicken', peas-n-rice and the steamed cabbage. The rice, cabbage and tofu was excellent. The 'chicken' spoiled the whole thing for me. It was tasteless and I was given a LOT of it. I do plan on returning, however, because the service was great and they make terrific homemade beverages! I'll know for the next time to leave out the mock meats, though. Oh, they don't take AMEX, either.

Pros: friendly staff, large selection, accepts credit cards
Cons: do not accept AMEX, mock meats (chicken) is horrible, parking can be a little tricky
gmAn
gmAn

Yummy!!!

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2009

This is one great place to stuff yourself with Hakin's flavorful comfort food, it's so good and yet inexpensive. It's definitely worth the trip.

Pros: excellent food, good value, Hakin's very friendly
trutus
trutus
  • non-vegetarian

I love the food

4 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2008

The food was great and very creative. i enjoyed the Sunday brunch with my Mom and will be adding this place to my fav lunch places. Love their spinach patties.

Pros: creative veg cuisine, friendly staff, good value
Cons: under renovation

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetarian Restaurant by Hakin: