Vegetarian Lifestyle - Luwan

Modern vegetarian food restaurant in one of the main shopping regions. Offers inexpensive lunch specials in addition to fresh juices and a large food menu. Staff speak some English, plus menu has English with photos. One block south of Huai Hai Rd. Buses 126, 911, 920, 320, 932, 42, 48, 02, 46, 831, 926. NOTE: There are two No 77, if you are in front of the wrong one, turn right, after some ten meters is a gate with a large sign called "Las Vegas KTV Club". Go through it, the restaurant is after 20 meters on the left hand side. Name in Chinese: 枣子树(淮海店). Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Chinese, Western, Juice bar

First Review by amerp
Fingercuts
Fingercuts

• herbivore

good safe food

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

It's not visible from the street, so I've uploaded some pictures.

Vegan done in Chinese styles.
We had a Sweet &Sour Pork, where the pork was some kind of mushroom, and it got the thumbs up from a very fussy carnivorous Chinese foodie.

Maybe the menu changes, because what I saw in July 2014 doesn't reflect what some of the earlier reviews state. Lots of mushroom-based dishes, some (but not many) mock meat dishes.Bring on the mock meat I say.

Menu is in Chinese, Japanese, English and pictures. Staff are good.

It's in a ritzy luxury shopping area, in a short wide open lane. There's a club opposite with a doorman stationed outside at night. It's not a hangout for ne'er-do-wells. I don't know how any of the earlier reviewers could describe it as down a dingy lane.

Pros: safe, tasty, food
SP
SP

mock meat

3 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2013

This place is your typical Chinese veg place serving a lot of mock meat dishes. If mock meat is your thing, go! Or if you're dining out with meat eaters, they may appreciate this place more than those who like veggies for veggies. I also found it to be a bit too oily.

There's a little shop just inside the entrance.

Cons: too much mock meat
u2nyr
u2nyr

My Favorite Vegan Restaurant in the World

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

This place is great. They have a very extensive menu and a lot of the options are good, and quite creative (there's a ribs dish that comes with fake bones made of rice). A lot of it is based on mock meat, as a lot of chinese food consists of meat. The staff speaks NO english. at any given time there will be maybe 1 person who speaks some broken English, thouh the rest of them speak no english.

Pros: Great food
Cons: No English
shanghaivegan
shanghaivegan

Alright vegetarian restaurant

3 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2013

Located just a 5 minute walk away from the Huangpi Nan Lu metro station and therefore easy to reach, it can be found in a somewhat dingy alley and has a small supermarket attached to it that carries some organic food and a big fridge of inexpensive mock meat.

The food is alright and a 35RMB menu set is available to those looking for a cheap lunch.

Unfortunately the cooks aren't very skilled when compared to their Chengdu location and anything fried is way too oily for my taste.

The reason you see so many foreigners there is the fact that the price is relatively high for the cooking on offer in a location that isn't too fancy, so many locals choose other options.

Pros: Near metro station, Has a small supermarket, Set menu for lunch
Cons: Too oily, Located in a dingy alley
Dabizi
Dabizi

Delicious; small portions

4 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2013

The actual name of this restaurant is Jujube Tree (Chinese: 枣子树; Zao Zi Shu). Located a bit hidden, but very close to Shanghai's fancy Xintiandi district. Delicious food, but small portions, so, snap at the chance and order some extra dishes. To fill 4 people's stomachs we ordered 14 different dishes plus 4 juices, what would cost us just under 600 RMB.

Serves many kinds of mock meat (try the "chicken" skewers). When crowded, the place is very noisy, so, if you're a group of people, consider one of the (few) separate booths (reservation recommended).

The company runs four branches of Jujube Tree in Shanghai, plus one in Ningbo and another one in Chengdu. For more information refer to their website at http://www.jujubetree.com (Chinese only).

untemperedhope
untemperedhope

Excellent!

5 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2013

Delicious food, nice selection, good staff, great hours! It's a little tucked away, but it's not too difficult to find. They also have a small market attached that sells fake meats and vegetarian snacks (mmm... faux lamb skewers).

freeprincebandar
freeprincebandar

My favorite place in Shanghai

4 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

Decent value, crowded, tucked in an alleyway off a main road. Close to South Huangpi metro. Open 11AM-9 PM. Popular with the expat crowd. Clean

Pros: decent value, clean setting
Cons: a bit hard to find at first
Vitxo
Vitxo

Great place to eat

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2012

Amazingly refreshing for China.If you are used to drink cold water with your meal bring it yourself!

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine
VegEm
VegEm

Huge selection and super tasty!

5 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2012

I was really suprised by this place! It was delicious and there was a huge selection. Everything we tried was yummy. The location is great, although a little tricky to find. We went at an off hour, so it wasn't too crowded. Once you order, the food comes quickly. The only challenge is flagging down one of the staff to take your order. Highly recommended. I will definitely return.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Big menu
Cons: Service
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Awful

2 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2011

This was the first place we tried when arriving to Shanghai. We were keen to try some really local dishes and had heard this was THE place to get acquainted with the local vegan food. We were quickly very disappointed... the restaurant was full of people, a disproportionate portion of which were foreigners. The ambience was very nice with the high-ceiling and oversized windows. The menu looked ok too - very nicely designed and printed. We felt spoiled for choices, but upon closer inspection saw that almost everything was based on mock meat, which we don't eat (unless it is homemade, which this wasn't). We ended up choosing from the few dishes we thought we mock-meat free and asked for less oil and no MSG. Well, it seems the chef does not know how to cook without MSG because everything was totally flavourless. The noodle soup was the worst of all - literally noodles floating in coloured water, surrounded by pieces of mock meat (they sneak it in everywhere). We went away totally unimpressed and in our whole 3 weeks in Shanghai did not feel the urge to visit them again - seriously the worst meal we had throughout the entire trip and way overpriced. The service was not friendly either - very matter of fact and robotic.

Pros: nice atmosphere, extensive menu if you're not choosy
Cons: MSG and mock meat hell, unfriendly service
radheshyam
radheshyam

Yummy

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2011

It's easy to find. Go to South Huangpi Rd Station and take a 2nd exit.

I've been here for a few times and had always nice feelings and nice food. This place is worth visiting.

I would recommend it to everybody.

Pros: Good taste, good service, nice people
dnmp
dnmp

Great Food - Skip the Juice

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2011

This was my first food stop in Shanghai and I really enjoyed it. The directions above were very helpful and accurate (Thank you!).

This place gets crowded at lunch time so do not be afraid to be persistant. Pay attention as if you go when it is crowded your number can be called and you could miss it.

They have a plate of the day which is 20 RMB, I didn't have it but everyone around me had that plate. My food was good and I also got some juice which was good but cost more than my meal which made it not THAT worth it. They also serve tea on the table so really you can get away with not getting a drink.

Pros: Good value, Good food
veganrobot
veganrobot

JuJuBe Tree!! From American vegan tourists...

5 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2010

Our favorite vegan restaurant in Shanghai, and probably the best vegan food we have ever had, was at JuJuBe Tree (or the English name - Vegetarian Lifestyle). This place has gourmet Chinese vegan dishes that will bl0w your mind! There is no milk, eggs or meat here and everything is super clean. The person who hands you your food even has a mask! We ate here 3 times in about a weekend, so we were obsessed at the end. Our first meal included: spicy, rice puffed covered fake chicken balls, dumplings, fake crab, potato balls, and some fresh dragon fruit and pear juice to top it off. Our absolute favorites were the spicy chicken balls that had a very crispy exterior with puffed rice and a powered spice on it. They were small enough to pop in your mouth and had a great flavor. The dumplings were only a 3 star (Loving Hut, Shanghai has the 5 star dumplings), but the fake crab was the gourmet vegan food of the whole trip. They severed it in a tiny bowl with a cover and the crab sat in a yellow soup with tofu and glass noodles, they topped it with some steamed broccoli and we went to town. The flavor and texture was spot on, the presentation was top notch and the whole experience made us want to bring home the chef for a wedding/full time chef at our house. This place is a must go.

The second time we went, we went for a birthday dinner so we invited a couple friends who are all omnivores. They all enjoyed it very much too because of the flavor and mock meats. On top of our first favorite dishes we ordered some ribs, spicy potatoes, magic mushrooms, stacked eggplant, stuffed cucumbers and spinach soup. The crab and chicken still were our top contenders, but this time the eggplant stole the night. The plate was filled with thinly sliced eggplant covered in a sweet barbecue type sauce and chunks of tofu. This had a great flavor and was something I have never tried before. The third and final trip here (at the other location near NanJing Lu) we ordered some friend lotus root stuffed with faux meat and a side of bruchetta, fried seaweed rolls, sushi, faux chicken skewers, and a cold faux meat with a brown sauce. The lotus roots were unique and interesting with the stuffing and the sides of tomatoes in the bruchetta, but the meal got a little greasy for us by the end. Many Chinese dishes are not raw and this place is no different.

On top of all this they have a side shop that sells organic and healthy foods including brown rice (hard to find in China)!

Pros: Gourmet, Pure Vegan, Clean
Cons: No English, Sometimes greasy
Ashni
Ashni

amazing menu, great food, slow service

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2010

We were really happy to find this place after having first encountered vegetarian lifestyle in chengdu, sichuan province. This one is less than 5mins walk from Huangpi Road (S) station on line 1.

The menu is so varied, we spent a long time deciding what to order!

The food was incredible. We ordered a Malaysian style chinese claptio dish with mung bean vermicelli which was huge and really tasty. Also quite healthy as little oil was used,but the dish was so tasty from all of the flavours. Our second dish was lotus leaf wrapped tofu and vegetables. This dish was more plain, also tasted really healthy, good with the other dish to balance out our meal.

Service was a bit slow as the place was very busy.

Pros: excellent food, healthy if you want!, good size portions
laya_bz
laya_bz

Extensive banquet style menu, lots of mockmeat!!!

2 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2010

This was my first ever vegetarian restaurant.The atmosphere is nice, but around dinnertime (7 PM) it gets really crowded. Overall, I think it was not a good value for the price we paid-- you can get an agar salad with cucumber and tomato next door for 6 Yuan, while the order of 10 jiao zi (steamed dumplings) at Veg Lifestyle was 17 Yuan.
This restaurant also relies heavily on mockmeats and uses no whole grain, unless you order the 'brown rice' which is actually a small amount of brown rice mixed with a bowl of white. DO NOT ORDER ANY GRAIN DISHES IF YOU WANT WHOLE GRAIN. Overall, I think you could get a better value from going to different small places and ordering vegetables.
The appetizer was mostly watermelon with 2 slices honeydew.
The photographs correspond to the dishes' numbers.
1. Appetizer (free) Watermelon/ honeydew
2. Tofu (soft) with agaric mushroom and mock meat floss
3. Thai Curry Vegetable hotpot (nonspicy, coconut-milk based. White string mushrooms, Mock shrimp, rice noodles, green melon.)
4. Dumplings (5 'fish' and vinegar, 5 sauerkraut. With vinegar and pepper dipping sauce.
5. Drink: Wheat berry tea. Smells and tastes similar to coffee.
6. Stir-fried seasonal vegetable.Kale, I think?
7. Brown and white mixed rice-- which we didn't expect to have a ratio of about 10 white rice grains to 1 brown.

Pros: Tasty dumplings, No MSG, Food store inside
Cons: Lots of oil/sugar, Maybe milk , No whole grain, high prices
jayanthp
jayanthp

Absolutely Fantastic

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2010

This is perhaps one of the best vegetarian places I have been to in my travels. The food was fantastic and the service outstanding. I went there 2 out of the 3 days I was there. The dim sums are excellent. So are the mock meat dishes. A place like Ling Zhi in Singapore which charges twice as much must learn and replicate this model. Outstanding!

Ketty
Ketty

One of my favorite restaurants anywhere

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2009

I've eaten here several times over the past few years, and I've never been disappointed. Whenever I'm in Shanghai, I run straight to this place!
The Set Business lunch is always beautifully presented, and full of a selection of creative, tasty dishes. And for less than US$3, it's a steal!

flamekat
flamekat

You MUST eat here!

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2009

This place is great. We've been eating here at least once a week since moving here in September 2008. We even have a membership card that gets us 10% off. The staff is super friendly and speaks a decent level of English, but the picture menu is really all you need.

The 20 kuai lunch special is good value. It's rice, stir-fried greens, a tofu or mock meat dish, a soup, and 3 little tastes of something sweet, sour, and salty. The lunch menu is only in Chinese, but go ahead and get it!

Our favorite dishes off the menu are the ginger chicken, stir-fried basil and bamboo shoots, tofu skin rolls, yam and green bean paste, radish pudding, wontons, xiao long bao (soup dumplings), veggie eel (nori wrapped around rice and smothered in chili sauce), and the tofu clay pot. But really, there are just so many dishes to choose from and most of them are winners.

I will only suggest a few to stay away from (due mostly to a difference in Chinese and Western palates)- the lichen starter and anything else with prickly ash sauce, and anything with bitter melon. Unless you know you like those things. We're daring, and the staff tried to warn us, but we insisted and couldn't finish those dishes. Chinese diners seem to like them though.

All tables get tea and a plate of fruit to start with and the fruit vinegars are nice to try. For sweets, we like the lotus cakes and shortbreads. But what we usually do is buy a box of cookies from the attached shop! Also available in the shop are frozen and long-life mock meats (including veggie fish, chicken, and sausage), various noodle varieties, ramen, organic teas, stir-fry sauces, soy milk powder, and Chinese language cookbooks.

Everyone we've taken here has loved it and I highly recommend Veggie Lifestyle to HappyCow users! The atmosphere is nice and the crowd is mostly Chinese with some Westerners here and there. It gets pretty busy, but we've never had to wait longer than 20 minutes for a table. You can also call ahead and reserve a table and there are private rooms and special banquet menus you can reserve. Another plus is that this restaurant doesn't use MSG and goes lighter on the oil than most places in town. The only minus I can think of is that it's not the cheapest place around. However, it's great value for the quality of food and it's affordable for most expats. We can eat for as little as 70 yuan if we try and have never gone over 115 even when we were pigging out.

Pros: yummy, healthy food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: prickly ash sauce
bandita
bandita

Delicious & reasonably priced

4 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2008

I talked my carnivorous friend in to joining me here by offering to pay for the lunch, and to buy another lunch elsewhere if he didn't like it here. It was a risk for me too since it was also my first time here. At first, my friend was going to avoid any mock meat dishes. But he couldn't help passing up on the picture of a meatball dish! He ended up ordering it and LOVED it! He was very surprised how mock meat can taste. My dish was great as well. Only reason I give this 4 cows is because of the communication barrier. I wanted water, but it's not on the menu. Nevertheless, the fruit juice I ordered was very good. I will definitely revisit if I'm ever in Shanghai again, but I'll either learn how to say water in Chinese, or bring my own. If you get a taxi to here, I recommend having a translator write the address in Chinese for the driver.

Pros: Great pictures w/ English translation, Lots of variety, Reasonably priced
Cons: communication barrier
swestrich
swestrich

Good food

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2008

I went here already expecting a treat, and what I got was a nice experience. The food is pretty good, and I was able to finish all the food even though I had ordered a lot. The tofu pancake I really liked even though it is extremely oily :S, be warned :) . The noodles I ordered were perfect, and the veggie steak had a great taste to it, but I didn't enjoy the texture because it was a little too much like meat. I found this place to be about 10-20% more expensive than it's rivals in Shanghai but I think it's worth it.

Pros: Good food, Good Service, Menu with pictures
JulieVeg
JulieVeg

Delicious, and so many options to choose from!

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2008

I lived in Shanghai and used to go here often for a quick lunch or a long delicious dinner. The place is sort of in a wide alley way. If you go during lunch, it is absolutely packed, and you may get seated with other people (but this really cuts down on waiting time). However, it's worth it, especially because you can get a nice set lunch for 20rmb which comes out almost immediately. The lunch set includes rice, veggies, a fake meat dish, and fruit. You can't pick your set - it changes daily and you get what's being served that day.

Aside from the set lunch, the menu is extensive and very creative. As other reviews have said, portions are huge (as family style meals is Chinese custom), so it's best to go with a few people in order to sample a lot of dishes. Just to attest to how authentic this place is, I've eaten meals where I'm next to a monk in his orange toga :)

Pros: Wide selection, Fast service, Cheap!
Cons: Crowded at lunchtime, Huge portions (bad if by yourself)
rlambsun
rlambsun

IN LOVE

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2008

This has been said in another review but this is pretty close to my favourite restaurant in Shanghai.

STAFF/SERVICE: Prompt and professional. Their systems are good and all staff seem quite well trained. They don't speak much English, but YOU ARE IN CHINA no one seemed to complain staff didn't speak Chinese in Australia - funny that. Anyway, the staff are very pleasant and they always try their best work out what I am saying in my garbled Chinese.

PRESENTATION: The restaurant is extremely clean! Staff are well presented and the toilets are immaculate. I have had a peek in the kitchen and its shiny white. I even like the design! Lots of slate and dark wood.

FOOD: Great menu! Lots of different dishes and the menu has pictures. Food is very well presented, great flavours, lots of choice. DUMPLING TEST: 4 of 5!!!!

Pros: Efficient professional staff, healthy, organic, no MSG, Great value!
Cons: Food is seasonal? (a note not a con)
  • eatinggreen eatinggreen

I don't know where you got the 'no MSG' claim from. They most certainly do use it, and a LOT of it. Ask them. Or better yet, request they leave it out and see how totally devoid of flavour the results are.

nausicaa
nausicaa

Fantastic food, good value and ambience

5 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2008

Everything we've had has been wonderfully flavored and not too greasy. As others have said, they have a wide assortment of mock meats, but if you don't like that sort of thing like my family, you can still eat well. Love the dumplings, though the soup dumplings are mainly chopped tofu/fake meat and broth with a thickener; if you go with one dumpling dish, I recommend ordering one of the others. It's also a great value. If I lived nearby I'd eat here every day. The English translation of their name is Jujube Tree. They are conveniently located close to the Huangpi South metro station.

Pros: fantastic food, good value, convenient location
amerp
amerp

FAVORITE RESTRUANT

5 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2007

This was my favorite restruant in shanghai, and I lived in shanghai for 4 months and I think I have been to all the veggie restruants in shanghai that exist! I LOVED THIS PLACE THe price was cheap, the portions were a good size for what you are paying and the food was so good that I tried to repeat some of the dished when I returned home.

Pros: GOOD PRICE, YUMMY DISHES, LOVED IT
Cons: can't think of any

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetarian Lifestyle - Luwan: