Vegetarian Lifestyle -...

Name in Chinese means jujube tree (zaozi shu). Large, modern vegetarian restaurant with focus on fresh and healthy Chinese cuisine. Food is mostly vegan. Also has a small health food shop in the foyer. Menu has English description and pictures. Buses 112, 37, 24, 20, 23, 330, 21, 15, 19, JiangNing location. Shanghai subway, Line 2, left out of exit 1. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Organic
258 Fengxian Road (Nanhui corner, off Nanjing Rd West)
Shanghai, China
021-6215-7566

Mon-Sun 12:00pm-9:30pm

First Review by toxi
veljay
veljay

Definitely Coming Back!

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2014

We tried six different dishes, 2 cold (the sweet and sour ribs were great!), 2 hot and two soups. All well presented. The flavours were good but I would have preferred a bit more spice. The staff were all happy and friendly too!!

Pros: friendly helpful staff, clean restaurant, English
slumberstreet
slumberstreet

Review

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2014

I haven't been to many nice, proper restaurants here in Shanghai yet, so it was nice to visit a place that is more clean and has a more "professional" service compared to other places + friendlier staff even though they don't really speak English.
There were so many things on the menu that I wanted to try - but we were only two people, so we just ordered 4 dishes. It was very nice and spicy. They have a lot of mock meat on the menu, and we also ordered some - only one of them that contained something that was to meaty for me. It was supposed to be pork, which had some kind of fat on the side (to make it more authentic, I guess), but I definitely don't miss animal fat.
We did also end up with two dishes that are pretty similar to each other, but with different flavors - so the pictures on the menu is not totally accurate.
We brought our own water, because they don't serve that (they serve tea, juice etc.)
I will definitely go back here so that I can taste their other dishes!
I gave this place 4 stars, but only comparing it to Shanghai restaurants, I would actually give it 5

Pros: nice restaurant - but maybe not the best atmospher, no MSG (says on the menu card), vegan, tasty
Cons: the drinking options
vegangirl13
vegangirl13

Nice Food, Slow Service

4 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

We really had a nice evening with tasty, fresh,chinese food.
Athmosphere was ok, light could be more dimmed, everything seems a bit cold.
Service staff understands a little English, is a bit slow.

Pros: Vegan Food , Location, Little English
Cons: light

schumacher62
schumacher62

All you need

4 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

we ate here twice while in shanghai, and once at the other location. service is fast and the menu is substantial and varied. all presented quite nicely, and priced quite inexpensively.

there is a small vegan-vegetarian shop in the front door of both locations, selling for the most part items you would not really need to buy, like katchup and noodles and etc. i mean to say, its not a grocery store but acts like one, and its not hugely convenient to buy these items if you are only going there for lunch.

i had the set menu one time, and it was perfect for lunch. it had five or six items, and the only turn off was the jelly thing for desert. i know the chinese like jelly foods, but as a westerner it didnt really hit the spot for me.

teas were great, and juices are available. watch out for the "malt beverage." its really just a non-alcoholic beer from germany, not really the refreshment i was after.

all in all a great find in shanghai. crowded and popular, but fast service in a modern cool setting.

Pros: very tasty items, fast service, quick turn over for lunch
Cons: a distracting "store" as you walk in, probably no parking.
selena
selena

Great

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

Loved this place! Busy, bustling, slightly upscale but not super fancy, competent friendly staff, English menu, extensive menu, beautiful presentation, attentive service, clean. Not super cheap but I think good value. One of my favorite veg places I've visited in Shanghai out of the 6~10 I've tried so far.

Pros: Extensive tasty menu, Clean, good vibe, Friendly attentive staff
shanghaivegan
shanghaivegan

Best Jujube Tree in Shanghai

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2013

The restaurant is a 5 minute walk away from the West Nanjing Road metro station. It's spacious and has big windows, with a small supermarket attached with organic items, mock meats etc. Upstairs rooms are available for larger groups.

They have a better menu than other locations in Shanghai and the cooking skills of the chefs seem also better.

The staff is friendly and makes a good effort to communicate with you in english if you can't speak chinese.

Pros: Vegan restaurant, Convinient location, Good cooking
Cons: Some dishes aren't cheap
DaniM
DaniM

Awesome!

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2013

Just an amazing restaurant! Fresh interior, friendly staff and such a big menu! You have to try almost everything! The food is really descriptive rehashed and it tastes amazing. Finally a eatery with many different vegan tastings and ingredients, not always the same!

Pros: Huge menu
Veganjoe108
Veganjoe108

Great food, shame about the name

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

As we all know veganism is not a lifestyle chosen by tedious bourgeois decadents who think that they can consume their way out of global inequality and animal cruelty, but rather a radical political praxis, aimed at the emancipation of the oppressed and the forging of a new world based on universal principles of respect and equality. Thus the name is a little annoying, the food however is rather excellent, especially the mock meat, the very memory of which leaves me drooling. I highly recommend the Ningbo fish, Mapo tofu, ribs and the green dumplings, also the tea is surprisingly awesome.

Pros: Food
Cons: Name
shanery
shanery

great options

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

I really like this place. There's a massive selection of dishes to choose from and the food is tasty. The staff don't know much English but the menus are in English.

Pros: great options
Fred Phillips
Fred Phillips

Well worth a visit

4 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2013

We had a lovely dinner here a few weeks ago. Two of the three things we tried to order were unavailable, but it may have been our fault for not getting there early enough. We ended up eating a "chicken" hotpot, a grilled cauliflower dish with "pork" strips, and some Chinese broccoli. It was all very tasty. Service was very friendly, although there's next to no English being spoken. Just be aware this place shuts really early - 9.30pm, I think. That is when they are closing the restaurant for the night, not when the kitchen closes. So aim to get there by 8 at the latest, I reckon. Otherwise, no complaints about this place.

Pros: Wide range of dishes, Tasty food, Friendly service
Cons: Closes kind of early
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Superb

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

I ate here many times when I was in Shanghai, and it was always fresh and delicious. The food is healthy, not oily and uses many organic ingredients. There are always lots of people, but the atmosphere is peaceful. I tried the traditional tofu skin rolls, and the tofu rolls wrapped around veggies and pine nuts. Also the '8 types of veggies', the noodle soup, and a stir-fried vegetables and tofu dish. Everything was delectable. Prices are reasonable - most dishes are between 20 and 40 rmb.

Pros: Fresh, Healthy, Delicious
nielswied
nielswied

Fine

4 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2012

This is really a fine restaurant. They serve you tea with your meal, the dishes are fine,guests nice. Recommended.
October 2012

Pros: good food , nice guests, tea included
Kerstin Kaehler
Kerstin Kaehler

long time favorite with consistent quality

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2011

Zao Zi Shu - the Chinese name of Vegetarian Lifestyle, meaning 'jujube tree' - on Fengxian Road is my all time fall back on place that never disappoints. They serve vegetarian Chinese food, and if you tell them you want your dishes less or more oily, they will gladly comply with your request - sth that is almost impossible to get across in most Chinese restaurants as cooking in a wok requires more oil than western cooking.
There are a few staples like their wonderful jiaozi that are almost always filled with minced meat in other places and thus this is a special treat and they do have a great Taiwanese style mock chicken that is fantastic - however, what I truly love is their consistent but not too frequent menu changes and additions. It makes for seasonal variety as well as for pleasant new discoveries every now and then. Also, this was one of the very few places in Shanghai that was smoke free before the general policy hit town in 2010!

Pros: smoke-free, nice setting, close to metro line 2
Cons: no heating in winter
sglcklch
sglcklch

Generous portions but rather oily

4 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2010

We ate here for dinner during a trip to Shanghai. Clean place with good service. I looked around and found that many of the hot dishes seemed rather oily, so we ordered a couple of cold appetizers and just one main dish. Food came in generous portions and was quite tasty, but apparently not too healthy with all that grease. All in all, this is a decent restaurant that I will visit again when in town next time. Just avoid the potentially greasy dishes and it'll be fine.

Pros: large portions, reasonably priced, clean
Cons: rather oily
veggieyogini
veggieyogini

worth going back for

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2010

very popular place for excellent food. large standard menu + seasonal dishes! have to admit i haven't been there in a long time as i haven't been to shanghai in a long time, but my mouth waters just by the thought of it. love the dumplings! they even have a small section of dried veg food for home cooking.

Pros: good value , friendly and efficient staff , super yummy
backpasher
backpasher

Superb food

5 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2009

We ate here a couple of times when we recently visited Shanghai and fell in love with the place.

The food was amazing. I enjoyed the "Meatballs" and sweet and sour "chicken" but everything was truly delicious.

The serves are really big - we found that 2 dishes between us was actually too much food and I hate to leave food on the plate, but it was super good value.

Staff were friendly, menus were in English/Chinese and the place was clean, well-run and had great service.

I'd highly recommend you make the effort to visit any oneo f their restaurants in Shanghai.

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly staff, Great value
Cons: none
sugarplumme
sugarplumme

Yum!

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2009

Went to VL yesterday and the food was delicious! Ordered the mock duck, eggplant with basil, some simple tofu szehucan styel and these fantastic mushrooms. Sorry, wish I could remember the exact names! It as all wonderful, and I have to mention the pearl brown rice which I really loved. A must visit!

Pros: Delicious, Large portions, Very affordable
toxi
toxi

Excellent place

4 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2008

This is also one of my favourite "veg-temples" in Shanghai. Food is great and such a variety that we never know what to order first... Pretty hip place, too. Nice style.

Pros: excellent food, stylish, really nice toilets
Cons: orders take a while, Western prices

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetarian Lifestyle - Zaozi Shu - JiangNing: