Vegetarian Ginger

Brooklyn Chinese restaurant serving vegetarian cuisine. Menu includes vegetable and mock meat dishes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Asian, Take-out
128 Montague St, 2F (Henry St corner)
Brooklyn, New York 11201
718-246-1288

First Review by changoamable
sfrishberg
sfrishberg

One of the BEST vegan restaurants in NYC!

5 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2012

When my boyfriend & I started dating two years ago, I was still simply a vegetarian, he an omnivore. One day he did a little research and found Vegetarian Ginger, and it was one of the food spots in NY that inspired me to make the full change to being vegan after over 5 years of being a vegetarian. The Smoked Teriyaki Seitan is simply inspired - perfectly crispy, yet soft inside, with delicious snap peas - it's scrumptious! The soy cheese & watercress wontons are also really wonderful, as is the soy protein fried rice, general tsao's soy protein and EVERY other dish on the menu that I've eaten. The location is wonderful (a few blocks off from the Brooklyn promenade, and close to many trains), the space itself is adorable and it makes for a great date-night location or just a fun lunch space among friends. Highly recommended!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, affordable price
changoamable
changoamable

Not so good...

2 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

This is a really almost cynically uninspired Vegetarian Chinese place - sad cause it's in the space previously occupied by The Greens, who will likely go down in NY history as the best Vegetarian Asian place ever.
Unlike the Greens, the service is unusually bad, and the food is only alright.
An anecdote: when I asked if the desserts were vegan none of the three servers on duty at the time even knew what vegan meant - when I showed them that the menu says "vegan" under the name of the place, they realized how unusual that was, but still didn't really know what I was asking. That makes me less confident the place really is "vegan," obviously.
But I ordered the cheesecake when the boss told me they ordered their desserts from Vegan Treats - which arrived FROZEN like a block of ice fifteen minutes later. I pointed this out, stabbing the cheesecake with my spoon to no effect, and they really grudgingly took it off the table, and then the check. The waitress even told us that they in the kitchen had known it was frozen, but had served it anyway...?
Skip it.

Pros: vegan?
Cons: vegan?, service, vegan?

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetarian Ginger: