Vegetarian Food Studio

Vegetarian Indian restaurant. Spicy food. Popular with local Indians. No alcohol license. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out

isabelroo
isabelroo

Worth the trek!

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2015

I say 'trek' - it's not really that bad, but if you aren't prepared to walk far out of the city centre then this may not be the place for you - but you totally should because Vegetarian Food Studio is fab!
Big vegan choice - most of the options on the menu are vegan. I remember last time I spent like 20 minutes trying to decide what I was going to order... so maybe even too much choice! Food's always tasty, including the vegan mango lassi. You can also take food away - they have a very alluring counter at the front of the restaurant with lots of snacks and treats so I was able to take some samosas and pakoras back home for me mam.
The staff are lovely too - one time I was apparently eating my thali wrong, so the waiter came up and showed me the traditional way (I think all he said was to add the dhal to the rice and scoop up with a chapati AND he got me another chapati just so I could try it out hahah) - which anywhere else could have been a bit annoying or invasive but because he was friendly and just genuinely trying to teach me something about Indian food culture it didn't feel condescending in any way.
Plus they've recently spruced up the place by painting Indian-themed scenes across the walls.
All in all I recommend!

Pros: Good prices, Lovely staff, Goood food
Cons: Out of the centre
PACaliVegan
PACaliVegan

Tasty and Tons of Vegan Options

Posted on 11 / 24 / 2014

This place has an extensive menu of options for both vegetarians and vegans, so it was refreshing to come across when we arrived in the city. We went a bit crazy and tried ordering an excessive amount of food for two people, but the gentleman who took the order was kind enough to reign us back in and suggest we cut a few things. We had the order delivered to our hotel and they arrived in a reasonable amount of time, but forgot to include our dessert. :( We were impressed with the curry and veggie dishes, very flavorful, but were a little disappointed in the sampler platter which had a lot of fried items that all seemed a bit dry. Stay away from the atomic balls if you don't want your mouth to burst into flames. :) Overall, a wonderful little place offering vegans a plentiful selection in a city without many options.

Pros: Tons of Options, Delivery Offered
Cons: Some items a bit dry
arthursgrub
arthursgrub

Brilliant As Usual

Posted on 10 / 12 / 2014

The vegetarian food studio was brilliant as usual. If you're a veggie or vegan visiting or in Cardiff then this place is a must. Voted best restaurant in Wales in 2012 it really deserves all the awards. Reasonably priced and frequented by a mix of nationalities the food is just fantastic. Be aware that it's moved to the next block in bigger nicer premises

Pros: Food, Choice , Atmosphere
Cons: None , None , None

sXe_22
sXe_22

Pleasant place

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2014

The environment is simple but elegant with some funny kitsch elements. Staff is friendly and welcoming. Plenty of vegan options. We asked for a suggestion to the waiter as we did not know what to choose. We had 2 starters, a portion of poppadom and 2 northen indian mains with Onion Jeera Rice and vegan rotli bread as side. Everything delicious and rich. £25 is really good value for money as we were truly sated. 4 cows because plates were a bit too hot even for spice lovers.

Pros: Price, Quality, Friendly staff and environment
Cons: Too spicy
Ilse1973
Ilse1973

Happy to customize anything

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

We went in for a special meal, vegan without onion and garlic and they were more then happy to accommodate.

If there is one dish you have to try, I'd recommend the aubergine dish, delish.

Pros: Super friendly, Vegan friendly
Gy_Jon
Gy_Jon

A Cardiff must go

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2013

We come here for a meal whenever we're in Cardiff and we always go away very happy and with a bag of "atom bombs" for later consumption. There is a huge vegan choice from starters to breads and even options for a vegan lassi. Very little is here that is also on a high street Indian restaurant menu and virtually nothing on a high street Indian restaurant is as good as anything at VFS.

Pros: amazing choice, wonderful food, atom bombs!
RobMilligan
RobMilligan

Going to VFS makes me happy!

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2012

:D
I have such a great time every time I visit with my girlfriend. Great staff serving unrivaled food!

Cons: Its not close enough to my house!
blister
blister

Great choice

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

Great choice, wicked food, although some is a bit too hot for me (wimp) and good value.

RebeccaW
RebeccaW

Perfect

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2012

I don't go here as often as I should, but every time I have friends down to visit Cardiff, vegetarian or not I bring them here.

Huge selection, so you'll always find something you want to try. One word: LUSH.

Pros: Tasty, Authentic
Cons: Location?
mikebinos
mikebinos

wonderful food + sweets

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2012

Tons of choices, many can be made vegan. Not a bad walk from Central station. The meal was delicious and the sweets afterward were great as well (including a warmed carrot halwa). They have dosas, curries, and many more to choose from. The chai was nice as well.

taffboy72
taffboy72

An aboslute must of a place

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2012

This place has amazing value and range. Very authentic with some unusual dishes. One of the only places I've ever come across to do vegan lassi. An absolute must. Only 10 minutes walk from rear entrance of Central Station. Won Welsh Curry House of The Year.
Updated from previous review on Monday October 26, 2009

Pros: Amazing range, Authentic food, Great value
Cons: Best 2Have map if you don't know Cardiff
animalgazuk
animalgazuk

Awesome

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2010

massive vegan choice
Amazing food
Friendly staff
What a veggie restaurant should be like

Pros: food choice and quality, Staff friendliness
Alyson
Alyson

Wonderful!

Posted on 11 / 21 / 2009

I always love coming to Cardiff as it means I can eat at VFS! I think they may have extended their menu since I last visited - this is vegan heavan! Loads of choice. Wonderful flavours. The only problem is trying to choose what to have! I also buy some of the savoury snacks to take away (eg samosas) - try the Atom Bomb, it's hot, but won't blow you up!

Pros: big vegan choice, great taste, good value
Cons: not lots of vegan sweets
raphalla
raphalla

Make Reservation

Posted on 02 / 13 / 2009

We went there on Saturday night at around 7.30pm. We had to wait for 30-40 minutes to be seated. So may be it is better to make reservation during weekend.
The food is authentically India and taste good. Some can be a bit too spicy for most people. The service is good, the staff seems dedicated and attentive. The price is reasonable as well.
The very good price Thali is tasty, but not inspiring.

Pros: Food, Service, Price
Cons: A bit small
CeriCow
CeriCow

5 *'s

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2008

I've been really getting into this place lately, and have been getting about 6 people in work into it to. Totally love it. It's all good but you have to have the samosas. Thali is excellent value. I still have loads to try!

Pros: awsome, win
gingerjenni
gingerjenni

Great place

Posted on 03 / 17 / 2008

Food is excellent and cheap and if you want alcohol then you bring your own for £1 charge per drinker. Sometimes the service is unusual - friendly but forgetful and very laidback. Worth a visit though.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Relaxed
Caryne
Caryne

Best Indian Veg ever

Posted on 02 / 25 / 2008

Totally wonderful place. Huge vegan choice and very friendly and helpful staff. They even had a small selection of 'Chinese' style vegan dishes which pleased my partner (very unusual in an Indian restaurant). The vegan mango lassi was to die for and just can't wait to go back to sample even more. There was even a few vegan 'indian sweets' for dessert which made a nice change.
The prices are very cheap and it's very easy to find being only about ten minutes walk from Cardiff main railway station.
Just go to this place when you are next in Cardiff, you won't regret it.

Pros: Great vegan choice, Friendly staff, Vegan Mango Lassi
Cons: Small, so book
MrFalafel
MrFalafel

Finally a reason to eat out in Cardiff!

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2008

This place is amazing. I couldn't believe the excellent food and amazing choice for vegans and veggies alike. You could eat out here for a month and not have the same dish twice. I loved the authenticity of the homemade chutneys and pickles and interesting menu selections. Totally unique culinary experience. The prices were incredibly cheap but not the quality. Great for quick takeaway snacks if you're passing buy.

I can't wait to go back.

Pros: huge menu, cheap!, great food
Cons: a bit brightly lit and spartan, 15 minute walk from train station
  • Caryne Caryne

You must walk slow. I've got a bad back and it only took me ten minutes to walk from the train station!!

Merida
Merida

Best Indian in Cardiff

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2007

My favourite place to eat in Cardiff and nothing is ever too much trouble (my friend is allergic to onion and they always cook up a fresh dish just for him).

The vegan & Vegi options are endless and extremely tasty, they even do Vegan Mango Lassi's! The food is also amazing value for money.

On top of all this they do home deliveries!

Pros: Great Vegan Selection, Amazing Value for Money, Vegan & Vegi Home Deliveries

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetarian Food Studio: