Serves meat, veg options available. All vegetarian except for tuna fish. Extensive menu, most of which can be made vegan. All baked goods are vegan. Offers raw desserts, salads, other raw food, smoothies, fresh juices, panini sandwiches, and main entrees. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Mexican, Bakery, Juice bar, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg
3109 N Halsted (N Clark St)
Chicago, Illinois 60657
773-880-9155

Mon-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm

First Review by SynthVegan
Jim_Z
Jim_Z

Awesome.

4 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2013

Um, this place has excellent food! I would give it five stars, but this site only allows four at most since they serve eggs in some dishes. The interior is simple but friendly. It's worth the trip. Free parking in CVS lot.

WriterGirl
WriterGirl

I love this place!

4 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2012

I eat here all the time. I didn't try it for the longest time because I thought it was just a juice bar. Turns out, they have a huge vegan menu. They have delicious tamales and enchiladas. They are very good about telling me what is vegan and what is vegetarian. They always have a couple of baked goods--always delish. They have wonderful nuts, seeds, crackers, to go items. Honestly, they have thought of everything. I always feel right at home at this place. I've introduced friends. They now go multiple times a week. In fact, if I don't go for a week, I get cranky. Give it a try. This is a vegetarian restaurant. The tuna the other reviewer saw was mock tuna. Please let this place get the credit they deserve.

Pros: authentic Mexican items, well-priced, good quality
Cons: hard to get to that parking lot
eljunia
eljunia

home cooked mexican veg with raw and juice bar!

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2012

this place is NOT an "express" in the nyc sense of "express" (i.e., hole in wall takeout junkfood with a real risk of food poisoning). i had the steamed veggies with seitan and a veganese ginger dressing. it was served to me and i swear...it was like a homecooked rainbow. fresh, clean, simple. they have a rave review from the chicago tribune on their wall. plus i ran into another rave in yoga chicago. the menu includes raw food, wheat grass shots, vegetable and fruit juices. the service is great, friendly...because the mexicans behind the counter are a family who left the veg places they worked in and opened their own establishment! viva america! again, i'm from nyc where so much of the back breaking work in the kitchen is being done by mexican workers. so that these brave souls have prevailed just warms my heart. WE MUST SUPPORT THEM! and it's easy, because the food is tasty, home cooked, mostly organic and fresh. take a few menus and pass 'em to friends. word of mouth! these dear people deserve to succeed!

Pros: delicious, fresh food, home made!, wonderful owners
Cons: their name is misleading, looks like a fast food joint outside, can't think of a third

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Vegetarian Express

4 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2012

Vegetarian Express is really as good as everyone says it is...I'll certainly be back! During my first visit I tried the seitan sandwich - it was very good. The sandwich was served on a really good (let me emphasize...REALLY GOOD) chiabatta bread along with some veggies and jalapeno sauce - yum! The people that ordered after me all ordered the lentil burger (their most popular sandwich) and after seeing it at their table, I sure wished I had ordered it instead (it just looked amazing).

As the name states, this is more of an express restaurant...so it's not a fancy-pants dinner place and is more suited for lunch or quick dinner. Overall, great food and great people!

(PS - Free restaurant parking in CVS parking lot)

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetarian Express: