Vegetarian Dim Sum House

Chinese vegetarian restaurant in Manhattan with an extensive menu of vegetarian versions of traditional Chinese dim sum dishes priced per dish. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out
24 Pell St (Mott St, Chinatown, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10013

Oscar M
Oscar M

Vegetarian dim sum

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2014

A lot of options. Food is alright.

Pros: Cheap
michaeltait
michaeltait

Good food, fast service

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2014

Enjoyed an evening meal Sept 7. Attentive waitress, nice meal

Pros: location, price, good food
cookiem
cookiem

Veg dim sum and Chinese food!

Posted on 08 / 23 / 2014

This is a vegetarian institution in Chinatown, and the decor may be showing it. The dim sum is awesome and veg, so you can rest assured when you eat here that there is no pork lard, chicken broth or oyster sauce in or on anything. The menu is in 3 parts: specials, dim sum and the menu book.

On the specials list, the snow pea shoots and watercress dumplings are highly recommended green dough wrapped triangularly around snow pea leaves and shiitake mushrooms. On the dim sum list, consider items like the taro, rice rolls with kale, rice rolls with crueller, sticky rice in lotus leaf, turnip cake, and the steamed fake BBQ pork buns. Delectable vegan yum!

For the main menu, it is divided into sections like mock meats, tofu, mushrooms, noodles and rice dishes. They also have traditional congee! My favorite dishes are probably the noodles dishes- pan fried, thin rice or thicker rice noodles. There is also a pumpkin and beef and bell pepper dish. The mushrooms do a delicious job of flavoring the choy.

The staff are very friendly and attentive, kindly answering your questions. Sometimes, it can be hard to get the staff attention. On the more than a dozen- two dozen times I have been here, the staff is always running around.

Great food that is affordable!

Pros: Vegan dim sum, Vegan noodles, Mushrooms and tofu
Cons: Cash only, Decor

binjones
binjones

wow great dim sum

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2014

While it took a but of time to find, the good was excellent!
Staff had limited English comprehension but servers was really decent

Pros: options
slo0go
slo0go

Best vegan roast pork buns

Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

I grew up as a meat-eater in Flushing. I basically grew up on dim sum, and I loved roast pork buns. When I became vegan, I went to Buddha Bodhai in Flushing and in Chinatown. Their dim sum is pretty good, but their roast pork buns cannot compare to Vegetarian Dim Sum House. The rice rolls are great, and I also enjoy the treasure balls, which are like constituted potatoes mashed into balls and fried. Put some hot oil sauce on there and bam! Delicious. The only downside is the restaurant is cash only!

Pros: Vegan roast pork buns, Vegan dim sum, Dim sum all day everyday
Cons: Cash only
sirhin
sirhin

Great Variety of Vegetarian Dim Sum

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

I love dim sum. I wasn't always vegetarian and I remember I would scarf down everything at a dim sum place, but that changed once my diet changed. In Houston, we only have a place that sells a limited amount of vegetarian dim sum items (maybe around 5-7), so coming to this place (smack dab in the middle of NYC's Chinatown) that boasted a fairly extensive dim sum menu.. I was in heaven! The only thing missing were the rolling carts that can be seen at those get-the-full-experience dim sum houses and a larger dim sum dessert menu, but the place was packed, as per usual at dim sum houses. Note: the English translations of the items were odd so I stuck with the Chinese.

It's a normal Asian place. The service is decent and the bare minimum (they seat you, take your order, and you're left to your own devices until it's time to pay), the cleanliness is passable, and the food greasy (it's DIM SUM - it's not healthy and it's not meant to be eaten regularly, so even though I tend to go towards healthy food, this is my Asian comfort food). We ended up choosing 7 items for two people with a pot of tea, which came as soon as we sat down. The tea is necessary to digest the oils in the food. It also turns out that from what we could tell (we also asked), a good majority of the dim sum items are onion and garlic free. Score!

We ate it and we soon found ourselves full with a little less than half leftover and ready to be taken out for that day's dinner. It was cheap and enough for an entire day's meals for two people! All I have to say is where are the egg tarts?? Other than that, this place is a winner. Don't expect spotless conditions or perfect service. You're in Chinatown and the food is enough. They do have another regular Chinese menu, but I was there for the dim sum so I ignored that.

New York, you're spoiled! NOTE: For vegans, dim sum (and Asian food in general) is primarily vegan. The only thing you might need to worry about are the desserts and items with eggs, but from what I could tell, it is largely vegan.

Pros: large variety of food, delicious
Cons: needs to come to Houston
GaborSzoke
GaborSzoke

Out of luck...

Posted on 12 / 07 / 2013

Unfortunately we felt a bit out of luck when we finally got to the Vegetarian Dim-Sum House in New York City. My wife is vegan, I am vegetarian, but when we tried to explain this to the waiter (who 30 minutes later fought an epic battle with the dirty dishes on our table, and got almost defeated by them), it turned out that he does not understand English, other than the usual phrases ("Take a seat", "What would you like to drink?"), etc. As we couldn't explain what "milk" or "diary product" is, we gave up, and my wife haven't had anything. I tried the hot and sour soup and two different kind of dim-sums, but all of them were boring, way below the average.

There are so many better places to go in NYC - unfortunately I cannot recommend this restaurant to anyone. I don't really understand the almost 4 stars...

Pros: Big portions, Huge variety
Cons: Difficult communication, Lack of atmosphere, Not very tidy
steveveg
steveveg

Perfectly fine

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2013

This is a fine vegetarian restaurant, with a plentiful menu. It offers dim sum, and there are many dishes for mock meat fans. The setting is comfortable, service is good. We had the snow pea leaves dumplings as appetizer. They were good. The vegetables in the Shredded Vegetable with Bean Curd Skin were mostly bean sprouts. The Black Mushroom with Soy Sticks did not have a preponderance of mushrooms. Nevertheless this was a good vegetarian dining choice.
Updated from previous review on Monday October 21, 2013

Pros: many menu options, have dim sum, comfortable
kennyp353
kennyp353

Avoid the worst vegetarian Chinese place ever

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2013

I've been to dozens of this sort of place over the years. This is hands-down the worst I've been to. We had mock pork and mock duck appetisers - the former was inedible, the latter bearable but without the usual plum sauce and pancakes to make it nice. The sesame chicken was burnt to a cinder, but that was at least digestible compared to the sweet and sour chicken. I've never seen a veggie Chinese place mess up sweet and sour chicken - but I've never spat out food in one either, until here. One of the most gross things I've ever eaten. Decor old and tired, almost dirty as others say. Expensive, and rubbish. I wish I'd checked HappyCow instead of other shills before I went.

Gobo, Vegetarians Paradise 2, Zen Palate are all excellent. Avoid this place like the plague.

Pros: absolutely nothing
Cons: disgusting food, really disgusting food, no I mean it, really really disgusting
vegankiwis
vegankiwis

Excellent food, cheap, tasty

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2013

We've missed dim sum since going vegan, so it was a real treat to find this place. Very authentic food, and centrally located in vibrant Chinatown.

Loved the entire vegan menu - it was a big menu and really cheap. We ate a lot and it was great value for money. The servers were very helpful and able to answer all of our questions.

We'll definitely be back next time we visit New York.

Pros: Vegan dim sum experience, authentic, cheap
HappyYogini
HappyYogini

Unhealthy and lacks significant/noticeable variety

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2012

I had dim sum. I was disappointed as most of my dim sum selections were covered in rice flour and constituted 70% of a single dim sum making the food heavy. The shrimp dumpling was rice covered in rice flour and steamed. It lacked a variety of tastes. The wontons consisted of fried flour with something in it that was in such a small amount that it can't be given credit for being a part of the wonton--almost non-existant. It took me 2 hours to get there and find the place from the upper east side via subway. The crowds in China town slowed my transit time down as well.
Updated from previous review on Monday November 12, 2012

Cons: Poor service, Lacks variety, Lacks taste
zaphod
zaphod

Just Awesome!

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

We were a little hesitant to eat here after reading some of the reviews... We are REALLY glad we tried it! We chose all steamed Dim Sum, therefore nothing was fried nor greasy. Everything was great. Some of the best Dim Sum ever, and we have had it all over the country. Just ask which ones are steamed when you order, and you can not go wrong.

Pros: Flavor, Value
JMNL
JMNL

Not as good as it seems

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2012

Since it was listed as a great vegetarian Chinese restaurant in many travel guides, we went there. The staff weren't very nice or didn't understand much English. And then the food.. If you try anything fried, you will only taste the grease and not the food, it was totally drenched in oil. The other things we ordered weren't particularly good either.

In a place like NYC, I regret having spend my time there instead of any of the other great restaurants.

Cons: greasy, bad food, bad atmosphere
Starlight7
Starlight7

The place to go for rudeness & greasy food.

Posted on 02 / 15 / 2012

We've been here a handful of times, the first time was neat (due to sheer novelty). But the last time we went was the LAST time. The food is so heavy & greasy, I feel like my arteries are clogging as I'm eating the food (that doesn't happen often, being vegan).

The restaurant itself is lacking in decor (that's not a big deal to some people) but it almost feels dirty.

And the every time we've been the the service has been awful. The food comes out fast, but the servers are so rude. I left a tip on the table, we paid at the front & went to leave & the server asked for a tip. I asked her to repeat what she had said because I was confused & she wanted to make sure we left a tip. SO RUDE. We should have just walked over & took the tip back. They didn't deserve a tip in the first place. Yes, they brought food, but they never checked on us, never cracked a smile, & when my friend spilled a little of their house tea, we asked for some napkins & the lady comes over with sopping wet towel (that's dripping from either a previous cleanup or something else) she wipes the table & leaves is completely saturated with this wet substance (doesn't dry it off) and proceeds to give us dirty looks for the rest of the meal.

Save your $$$ and go somewhere more inviting & more appreciative of your business & with healthier options.

Wish I could give this place 0 cows but they make you give 2.

Pros: Decent sized servings
Cons: Greasy Food, Rude Servers, Place feels dirty
dunkles
dunkles

Must try harder!

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2011

I decided to check out this Veggie Dim sum whilst on holiday in NYC house after reading several positive reviews on Happy Cow. I'm a big fan of Chinese food, and I guess I must have been spoilt by having had some great Dim Sum at home in the UK.

The food came very quickly, and the portions were generous, however I found it all very fatty, overly sweet, and mostly gloopy and tasteless, like the sort of stuff you used to get in UK takeaways about twenty years ago! We struggled to even eat half of the meal, and in fact the table next to us ate about two mouthfulls of their food and left.

The service was poor, with the staff unfriendly and verging on downright rude, and they forgot our drinks order altogether, despite the restaurant being near empty.

I would recommend you don't be seduced by the lure of the all veggie menu, I'm sure there must be far superior places for dim sum in NYC where veggies can still get a good selection.

Pros: Generous portions, Fast
Cons: Poor quality food, Fatty, Bad service
Landry
Landry

Great Dim Sum But That's All!

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2011

Whenever I am in Chinatown I go here for the vegan dim sum which I love but I recommend you stay with the dim sum because every single time I have ordered from their regular menu I have been disappointed.

They have a good hot and sour soup too.

I wish the food was healthier though. They have a lot of fried food and processed white flour. It is hard to eat healthy there.

Try the spinach dumplings!

Pros: Dim Sum!, Fast Service, Lots of Room
Cons: Mostly Unhealthy, Regular Menu Not Good
siaoyato
siaoyato

Prefer Dim Sum Go Go instead

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2011

I used to come to this place every weekend for my dim sum fix...until I discovered Dim Sum Go Go near by. Dim Sum Go Go has better selection of steamed dumplings and it is made more delicately than Vegetarian Dim Sum House. VDSH has better fried dishes (taro ball comes to mind) and stir fry dishes. The only down side to DSGG is that they are not strictly vegetarian...but if you want the best vegan dim sum, they are surprisingly amazing.

cynthia75
cynthia75

Vegetarian in Chinatown

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2010

I was just here mid August and had a very nice dinner. I have eaten here 3 or 4 times in the past few years and it is quite consistent. I would suggest ordering from the dumplings menu as that is the specialty. There used to be a big place a block away om Mott called Vegetarian Paradise but it has been closed for over a year. It is Chinatown so don't expect any service or presentation. Just good food and lots of variety.

Pros: Quick service, Variety, Fun neighborhood
Cons: Unfriendly, Drab ambience
pandora_13
pandora_13

Bring your appetite and sense of adventure!

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2010

Vegetarian Dim Sum House is awesome. They have a decent sized menu filled with various types of dishes - vegetable-based, faux meat-based, noodle-based, etc. But we hardly even look at that. The REAL fun here, as you might guess by their name, is in the dim sum.

Each table is given a dim sum card, which is separate from the regular menu. We typically choose two items per person, three if we're really hungry and/or can't make up our minds. Much of the time we have no idea what we're ordering. Often we can't tell which item is which once they reach the table. But that's the fun of it all! You end up with a table full of deliciousness for the sharing - and spend about ten or twelve bucks per person, including tip. How can you go wrong?

Some of our favorite items to date: Fried Turnip Cakes (definitely get them fried, not steamed - the texture is all wrong if they're not fried); Treasure Balls (crispy deep fried balls of mashed taro, awesome drizzled with soy sauce and chili oil); Rice Flour Rolls with Mock Ham and Cilantro; Rice Flour Rolls with Chinese Kale (they're slippery and hard to get into your mouth with chopsticks, but the rice flour rolls are oh so tasty); Steamed Buns (the Roast Pork Buns, Sesame Paste Buns, and Preserved Cabbage Buns are all wonderful - remember to remove the paper circle from the bottom!); Pan Fried Dumplings and Steamed Spinach Dumplings (nice "safe bet" items, which you need to balance out some of the more bizarre offerings); anything with White Fungus (definitely one of the more bizarre offerings).

Now, this is not health food. Be forewarned - much of the dim sum offered is starch-laden, and much of it is deep fried and/or oily. And you will want to eat a lot of it. Sometimes we try to balance this out by ordering a dish of sautéed Chinese broccoli in a light, gingery brown sauce, which usually calms the conscience... but honestly, with food so fun, you really have to just let go and enjoy the ride. :o)

Pros: Intriguing menu items, Super cheap, FUN!
jagreene3
jagreene3

great place to take meat eating man

Posted on 11 / 27 / 2009

As a longtime vegan/vegetarian, I'm always happy to find places like this that offer a total vegan menu. And as a former lover of traditional Chinese dim sum, I was happy for the nostalgic experience. Here the food was tasty but yes, a bit greasy in keeping with Chinese-style. My hungry 6'2" omnivore man loved it. My favorites (& the less greasy options) were the spinach bao & turnip cake. Like another reviewer said, food is probably not organic & the sticky rice certainly wasn't brown, but the food was plentiful, filling, inexpensive, & served quickly.

Pros: all vegan, fast service, inexpensive
Cons: on the greasy side
serenacarey
serenacarey

Great Vegan Dim Sum

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2009

Every year I'm in NYC, I walk down to Chinatown and get some vegan Dim Sum here...it's EXCELLENT! Lots of different types...all have been so tasty and filling! I have never been able to find another vegan dim sum restaurant like this one - YUM!!!

Pros: Vegan Dim Sum, Lots of Choices, Not very costly
Cons: Too far from Las Vegas
JaguarBoy
JaguarBoy

Yummy

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2009

My companion and I were pleasantly surprised by this place. It was a little challenging to find in Chinatown. But the food was tasty (yes, I agree with earlier posters, it was oily-but not anymore than non veggie dimsum). The service was somewhat indifferent (not overly friendly, but not really rude either), which I don't mind. The restaurant wasn't all that busy when we were there, so the food arrived quickly. The interior decor was simple. By New York standards, the price was reasonable. I will be recommending this place to veggie friends and family and would make a point of returning on future trips.

Pros: tasty food, reasonable price, reasonably clean
Cons: not really healthy
markc7
markc7

Good, but did not live up to the hype

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2009

Vegetarian Dim Sum House was highly recommended on Happy Cow and elsewhere, and I was very excited to try it. Although it's a pretty good restaurant, I was disappointed. (Perhaps this was due in part to the fact that I had just eaten at Buddha Bodai restaurant earlier and wasn't terribly hungry). Regardless, the menu was not too extensive and the food was not too appetizing. It was crowded and the service was just ok. Given that there are other excellent vegan Chinese restaurants in the neighbourhood, I wouldn't choose to come back here.

Pros: Reasonably priced
Cons: Food just ok
Chandra
Chandra

My favorite strictly vegetarian Chinese food

Posted on 12 / 13 / 2008

I highly recommend this place. The first time I ate there, the service wasn't that great (it was busy and they forgot to bring us our food and then didn't discount the cost for the delays and confused orders) but the food was so amazing that I had to go back. I now go whenever possible and have been impressed by every menu item I've tried so far. It is also favored amongst my non-vegetarian friends and family. They will eat there without me. You can eat very cheaply there as well because the portions are large enough to order one or two dim sum items and feel quite full. You can easily share a portion of a meal as well. If you are used to having to choose from the few menu items that are vegan or vegetarian, you will look like a deer in headlights for the number of choices they offer. The service is fine during slower hours. Go for the food. Just try it if you are in NYC. You will crave it.

Pros: Excellent Food, Inexpensive, Broad Menu
Cons: Service slow when busy, You may be seated with strangers
queenarmadillo
queenarmadillo

Awesome!

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2008

This is my favourite restaurant in the whole world. I have never been offered so much choice, the food was delicious, the portions large, and the prices very fair.

Philippe
Philippe

Excellent DimSum

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

A great choice of dim sum options. Unfortunately one needs to pick from the menu, rather than from trays being presented to each table, which is normally the case in dim sum restaurants.

marcelina
marcelina

If the monks go there, it must be good

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2008

I can honestly say this was an enjoyable experience... to dine next to Buddhist monks! There were 2 of us and we all stuffed our faces with everything that sounded delicious and it only cost us $21. Thats a DEAL! The food was great. The service was great and I enjoyed the atmosphere a lot.

Pros: Great food, Cheap food, Cute set up
Cons: Creepy Chinatown
philjdomm
philjdomm

DIVE AND HOLE IN THE WALL

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2008

Being spoiled by west coast and canada vegan/vegetarin dim sum, this is by far worst than san francisco hole in the wall in chinatown.
their sticky rice banana wrap was a big ball of rice.
poor quality and very typical old school east coast vegetarism.

captown
captown

A favorite

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2007

I make a point of going here every time I go to New York. The food is fantastic and super cheap.

Pros: awesome food, unique dining experience, very cheap
Cons: finding it in chinatown
Poundie
Poundie

Fun place

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2006

This is a fun place to eat, athough not overly healthy. You can order a variety of small dim sum vegan items. The food is tasty, but oily; I doubt that the food is natural or organic.

Pros: Not healthy oriented, drab decor
Cons: fun to try dim sum

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetarian Dim Sum House: