Geng Yuan Vegetarian

Address 成都市北大街88号. Vegetarian restaurant located opposite the TianShengYi Center and is not visible from the street but inside a circular shopping courtyard. Specializes in Sichuan cuisine; even relatively mild dishes could be spicy. The menu is in Chinese, but it includes photos of some dishes. A number of the dishes contain mock meats. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese
88 Beidajie
Chengdu, China

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Bob Sultan
Tianci
Tianci

Map Error

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2014

The name of the restaurant is 耕緣 (Geng Yuan Vegetarian Restaurant). The map shown in the app (as of this date) is in error. The address is 成都市北大街88号 (88 Beida Jie, Chengdu), and is located opposite the TianShengYi Center (天盛壹中心). The Restaurant is not visible from the street, but inside a circular shopping "courtyard." Hence all the pictures folks have uploaded to guide you.

The atmosphere is quite pleasant and the staff attentive and polite.

choonseng78
choonseng78

Hard to Locate but Food is Good

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2012

Location was pretty hard to locate. However, the food is good.

Was there alone so I ordered a soup and 2 other dishes. The first dish was a egg plant hot pot and the other was stir fry mock beef with ginger. The soup was a local delicacy of toufu and ham (vegetarian ham in this case).

The egg plant dish was pretty tasty and goes very well with rice. However, the egg plant was not exactly well cooked hence was not ideal (for me). The mock beef dish came in a small portion, hence would not be sufficient if there are more than 3 persons eating. It taste good and goes well with the ginger.

While serving size of the dishes were quite small, I was in for a shock when I saw the soup. It came in a huge bowl that can serve 5-6 medium size bowls worth of soup. Hence as expected, I did not finish the egg plant dish and the soup as I was bloated by the time I finished half of the soup.

In essence, the dishes' serving size were small vis-a-vis the price, whereas the soup's serving size were huge vis-a-vis the price.

The staff are okay probably because they were not warmed up yet as I was their first guest of the day.

Pros: Good tasty food, Clean and classy restaurant
Cons: difficult to locate, Slightly expensive
Bob Sultan
Bob Sultan

Gourmet vegetarian - Sichuan style

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2012

This is a real Sichuan Restaurant, but totally vegetarian. Nice decor, clean, peaceful, and elegant. I met another veggie there so I was able to try two dishes. Mine was mock ham and some sort of mock fried beef with several vegetables in a sweet and hot sauce. This is Sichuan style food so it was a bit oily... and it was hot. Red peppers are cooked in the oil, so the oil itself is spicy. When you first taste the food, it doesn't seem particularly hot... but when the oil hits the back of your throat... watch out. You could probably ask them to go easy. I thought the dish was very tasty... especially the mock ham... I liked the other dish a bit better. This was mushroom with a very firm texture. It came on a hot iron dish into which the waiter poured sauce so you could watch it sizzle. The heat from this dish came from black pepper. Not as spicy as my dish, the mushroom was very flavorful. Portions are large. I enjoyed it; and if you like authentic hot Sichuan food, this place is definitely for you. Very convenient when visiting the Wenshu Temple. I posted some pictures but forgot to take the food shots until it was more than half eaten... sorry.

Pros: Beautiful place; nice ambiance, Real Sichuan dining, Gourmet quality
Cons: Hot, Oily

Dear Owner and Manager of Geng Yuan Vegetarian: