Serves meat, veg options available. Organic food restaurant. Most dishes on the menu, whilst may appear vegetarian, do contain fish broth. April 2013 happycow member reports that this restaurant no longer accommodates vegetarian requests. Price: Moderate more-less
Organic, Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by MariaPowell
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Our go-to place in Kobe

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

We live in Japan and frequently have occasion to visit Kobe for work. Kobe is a really hard place to find good food at and this place has saved us on numerous occasions.

As noted by another user you will need to make a special request to ensure your food does not contain fish broth. We speak native level Japanese and one of us is native, so whilst I can't comment on the experience of the other user re being refused, I know it is definitely possible to eat well here as a vegan, with a good spread of different vegetable dishes cooked in a healthy, typically Japanese way. You will need to be polite and unassuming though and know that they don't generally speak English so some sensitivity and effort will not go astray. Good luck!

Pros: healthy, organic, nice relaxed vibe
Cons: you need to make a special request, English probably not spoken
MariaPowell
MariaPowell

Gaijin are to use spererate toilet from Japanese

1 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

The food was 3.5 out of 5 pretty good really :) wasnt until i had to use toilet that there was a problem. No enter she said and walked away i used it anyway, second time no enter and she persisted and carted me upstairs to a smelly dirty toilet ... thumbs down. Not a way to treat your paying customers.

Pros: nice food, cheap, Japanese style dining
Cons: Japanese only toilet., bad service, no basic translation on the menu
  • MariaPowell MariaPowell

Yeah I know! But I have come across mixed groups some say that these things have never happened and some have had the worst experiences. I had a mixed bag of things this one being the worst. My husband spoke to the manager so I should think it wouldn't happen again. I HOPE!

• eatinggreen eatinggreen

Hmm.. have to say I'm really surprised. In 11yrs in Japan I've never come across this sort of treatment, anywhere. We'll be in Kobe again next week, so I'll have to ask to use the toilet and see what they say!

• MariaPowell MariaPowell

Also a classic case of someone assuming the situation had to be something else. My japanese husband and friends were with me at the time. This happens alot in Japan Kobe and Kyoto the worst offenders. I was lucky enough to have japanese people to speak up for me.

• eatinggreen eatinggreen

I severely doubt you interpreted that situation correctly - sounds like a classic case of the truth being lost in translation as culturally the Japanese do not act in this way towards gaijin, especially not in a legitimate establishment such as this.

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetable Dining Noka: