Vegetarian Chinese food. Since 2008 all the menu items, including most mockmeats, are said to be vegan, although "steak" and soy "chicken" are not vegan (contain whey)- others may as well. Offers vegan sushi in the evening. Large space with many tables. Price: Moderate more-less
Chinese, Beer/Wine, Banquet, Take-out
17823 Chatsworth St (Zelzah and White Oak)
Granada Hills, California 91344
818-360-3997
OPEN NOW

Tue-Sun 11:30am-9:30pm

First Review by heatherveganmom
smoothlandon
smoothlandon

100% vegan lunch Buffett.

Posted on 12 / 05 / 2013

Good location

RhobertTachamet
RhobertTachamet

WONDERFUL FOOD!!!!

Posted on 03 / 12 / 2013

this eatery is wonderful! The entrees are very realistic and meat like. The food is very tasty.
You shall not be disappointed. If you are in Los Angeles and need to be in the San Fernando Valley(or even if you don't need to be here) you will need to visit this place. Call before sometimes they are closed. One Monday I tried to eat here and they were closed. ):

Pros: Excellent tasty food, Wonderful selection, Fast service
Cons: Sometimes closes you need to call first
Chia
Chia

It's all vegetarian

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Vegetable Delight review.

I am a closet foodie. Came here with a group of vegheads. We ordered a variety and shared (stir fry noodles, mockmeat dishes, soup noodles, fried rice, vegetable dishes).

Personally, I thought the food tasted more like fast food than a sit-down restaurant food. Greasy and uninspired, sorry to say. It's too bad, because I want to support all vegetarian restaurants, but I think this one needs much improvement in the kitchen department.

Pros: friendly service, fair prices, has brown rice
Cons: too much oil, needs jazz up

LeahWainer
LeahWainer

great!!

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2012

good was amazing, almost everything tasted great. the only let down was the dessert, it was carrot cake. would totally come again but ill just skip the dessert next time ;)

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

outstandung chinese vegan food

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2012

Friendly and very accomodating and the steamed buns are amazing! we had rice noodles steamed with veggies and orange sauce all oil free! The highlight was a Japanese green tea cake made from tofu and aduki beans. I wish I lived closer, I'd be a regular.

Pros: steamed buns, accomodating, green tea cake
vegebald
vegebald

Deceptive Owners Violate Vegans & Vegetarians!

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2011

For many years, I've considered Vegetable Delight as my favorite Vegetarian restaurant (replacing Happy Family as my previous favorite in Monterey Park on Atlantic after I caught them lying about the ingredients in their food: Happy Family isn't vegan, they're not even vegetarian, there's animal rennet in their mockmeats and they lie about it and they know it, they admitted it by phone after I wrote them a letter!)but recently I discovered that everything that Vegetable Delight says on their website, a previous posting on Happy cow, things they've told me in person, and newspaper articles that they have posted in the restaurant, are all lies or deceptive towards Vegans...they now admit to having whey in some of their mockmeats, which means they don't make these in house as they proclaim on their website when they say "All items are natural food and freshly handmade by our chef" and "Each dish...is made entirely without meat, poultry, or fish". These statements are absolute lies! they use commonly-available commercial mockmeats that contain whey as an ingredient! How is the use of these mockmeats "handmade by our chef" when they're actually factory made somewhere else, presumably the Far East? And since when is whey meat-free? when they say: "...entirely without meat"????? Wake up, dairy-eating vegetarians: if you're eating whey, YOU'RE EATING ANIMAL RENNET, there's even more animal rennet (animal stomach used for their enzyme content)in whey than there is in cheese! Whey is the byproduct of cheese-making, and the vast majority of cheeses are made with animal stomach/rennet. And where do you think the protein comes from in Whey? it comes from the stomach, not the milk! The milk protein (casein) goes into the cheese, it doesn't stay in the whey.

Anyway, I don't eat at Vegetable Delight any longer because they've lied about their ingredients, even though I sure miss their amazing dishes, but I'm not too happy that they "poisoned" me by feeding me animal flesh...my favorite dish was the fish with hot brown sauce, and I also loved the sweet and sour ribs, and many other dishes. Hopefully, they'll see this review and do something about their credibility, I sure would like to return there, I think they simply don't get it, but they must mend their ways and quit poisoning vegetarians and vegans!

Pros: Tasty dishes
Cons: NOT VEGETARIAN, NOT VEGAN, Liars and Deceptive
SharonaLA
SharonaLA

Yummy taro root

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2011

We live closer to Garden Wok, so we go there more often, but we like the sweet and sour made with taro root at Vegetable Delight. It's super sweet.

pgnlvr22b
pgnlvr22b

Must Try

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2010

I have been going to Veg Delight for 14ish years and it is consistanly great. Bill "the owner" is so sweet, always remembers us, and how we like our food(all the way down to what condiments we enjoy) The last time we were there was 6/18/77 for my birthday the food, service, and atmosphere was amazing as always, but the thing that really made my day was when Bill found out it was my birthday, he surprised me with vegan cherry chip icecream with a little pink candle on the side and sang me happy birthday. Its the little touchs, the feeling of family, that makes you keep coming back for more. The great thing about this place is the absence of mock meats, the fresh ingredients, and I don't think Bill ever says no, anything you want, its its possible he will do it.

Pros: Great Value, Amazing Owners, Family Feel
Vedas
Vedas

All Veggie Chinese

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

Nice little traditional Chinese American style food with the all veggie twist. Had lunch during my visit to LA. Excellent lunch special served with soup or salad and spring roll or steamed wonton. The hot&sour soup was just right. Kung Pao chicken was good I could have used some more "Pow". :) The spring roll was nice, crispy but not to greasy.

Pros: Fast service, All veggie, Not just tofu
Mir
Mir

good affordable food

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2009

This place has been one of my favorite restaurants for years. The food is good, service is great, parking is easy, and the place is spacious.We love their appetizers, soups, spicy fish, chow mein, sizzling vegetables, kung pao chicken, shredded lamb (made from mushrooms), asparagus ham, and many other dishes. We'll be back soon.

Pros: tasty food, good service, easy parking
happyherbivore
happyherbivore

Good Taste Great Price

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

The restaurant is trapped in the early 80s but the staff is very friendly and the food is superb and very inexpensive.

Vegans beware of the fortune cookies - they contain whey!

Pros: parking, value, service
Vegyogini
Vegyogini

Vegetable Delight

Posted on 03 / 25 / 2009

Vegetable Delight is a bit greasy for my taste, but will hit the spot if you're craving greasy Chinese food.

lynzo
lynzo

I love it here!

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2009

One of my favorite place for yummy food!

JOVID
JOVID

BEST PLACE EVER!!

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2008

I've been vegetarian for many years now and never before had i had such a great experience as i did at vegetable delight. even though it's a bit out of the way afer my friend brought me here i fell in love with the place and now i feel like i could live off their food! i have always been a big fan of chinese food but i hadn't ever had the chance to enjoy it so much as i do here and this goes back to when i used to eat meat! i've always been pretty picky with what i eat and this place was not a dissapointment. the only thing i didn't like was the eggplant my friend ordered but then again i've never really liked it. the menue can make it hard to find the perfect dish for every taste but i regret nothing! i've ordered almost every dish on their menue just to be able to say i've had all their food and although i liked some dishes more than others i enjoyed each meal every time. i should stop myself from going on and on about this but it's hard to resist i just wish that everybody had the chance to try this place out at least once because i'm sure after that they would fall in love with it like i have!

Pros: great prices, free jasmin tea, lots of choices
Cons: --
LFL
LFL

Vegetable Delight

Posted on 11 / 18 / 2008

My boyfriend and I were both disappointed in the quality of the food at Vegetable Delight. Since its rating here at Happy Cow was very good, we came in with high expectations. Unfortunately, the restaurant did not live up to them. We ordered the mixed appetizers, the wonton soup, the lemon chicken and the eggplant with basil. The eggplant basil and the wonton soup weren't bad, but the mixed appetizers and the lemon chicken, although they had the texture of meat, were nearly flavorless. The lemon chicken was also much too sweet. All in all, we can't fathom why Vegetable Delight has received a relatively high rating here. On the upside, though, the meal was affordable (especially for L.A.), so if you want to check it out for yourself, you won't be out too much $. As for us, we don't plan to return there.

P.S. For much better seitan, I recommend A Single Pebble in Burlington, Vermont, or even Veggie Grill in El Segundo, California.

Pros: very affordable
Cons: tasteless food, bland food, not enough vegetables
jenndc
jenndc

Great place, lots of choices

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2008

My husband and I come here about once per week. The restaurant is ran by this sweet chinese couple.
The menu is huge! It is very overwelming at first. There are so many options. It took us a couple times to find our favorites.
I love the dry sauteed sting beans with brown rice and the spinach tofu soup. My husband got the lemon chicken (This is fried) and sometimes gets the kung pao chicken (Very saucy).

They are also very accomodating to special requests too. (Ex. No oil, sauce on side, tec)

I love this place.

Pros: nice nice people, great selection, very accomodating to special requests
maliciouskami
maliciouskami

Vegan, Healthy, and Hearty

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2008

This is an all vegan Chinese restaurant. We stopped in on a Saturday afternoon. The outside was not eye-catching, and it's a wonder anybody knows about it. I was staying the weekend with my friend who lives in Granada Hills, and even she didn't know about it. The staff was very helpful, friendly, and patient. Because Happycow does not designate this restaurant as all vegan, I asked which dishes were not vegan. Our server said that the menu had been changed to 100% VEGAN. A few items that used to contain egg and whey and were omitted. That was a relief. The next challenge was the massive menu. 7 pages of way too much to pick from. After much deliberation, we decided on the seaweed salad, the wonton soup, and, just for the heck of it, the jellyfish for appetizers. The wonton soup was perfection. The jellyfish (I've never had the real thing) was overly chewy. Wasn't bad, just...chewy.

For our main dishes, we ordered chicken and broccoli and a beef and mushroom dish. Most entrees give the option of gluten or soy which would be helpful to someone with allergies. We went with gluten. The chicken and broccoli came loaded with lots of fresh broccoli and a light savory sauce. The actual mock meat itself wasn't too inspiring. The beef and mushroom dish came with a heavy gravy like sauce. The mushrooms were fresh and the mock meat was tender. It was really good. We also got a heaping bowl of brown rice. It was a very delicious meal and relatively healthy. The prices were equal to that in regular Chinese restaurants.

Closed on Mondays and offers take-out

Pros: Large menu, 100% vegan, Great price
Cons: Discreet storefront, Hit or miss with mockmeats
beitme
beitme

great food, friendly place

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2008

this place is run by just a few people. the main waiter is amiable and courteous. the food is great; you'll find that this place has many unique selections. lunch specials are an excellent value choice, and theres a lot to choose from.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, great food
Cons: closed on mondays
carrotfever
carrotfever

Sizzling plate with mock chicken and mock beef

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2007

Two of the best dishes ever! Must must must try... seriously.

Pros: excellent food, free tea, classy environment
debbiesthemes1
debbiesthemes1

My favorite vegetarian restaurant of all time!

Posted on 11 / 13 / 2007

I love Chinese food, I'm picky about the quality of restaurants, and I've been a vegetarian for almost 20 years. I've really missed some of my favorite "meat" Chinese dishes. I don't have to miss them anymore. When my son took me here for the first time a couple of years ago I was floored at how phenomenal this restaurant is. I took my non-vegetarian mother with me once and she couldn't believe that some of the dishes were not real meat. I wish this restaurant was in Palmdale so I wouldn't have to drive 45 miles in traffic to get to this restaurant. This place is a cut above all the rest. 5 stars doesn't do the place justice.

Pros: excellent food, traditional chinese recipes, reasonably priced
erbavore
erbavore

It was OK

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2007

I am a foodie. I love taste. It just seemed to lack here.
The sweet and sour "chicken" was sweet enough. Wasn't Sour Enough. Wasn't Chewy Enough.
The Hot and Sour soup was Neither HOT nor sour.
The other dishes we had were rather tasteless.

The atmosphere was OK. If you love it cold, you will love it. I'm just not a fan of A.C. I realize I'm in the minority. The good thing is that there was about 4 other tables. It is sad when veggie restaurants are dead.

On the positive side of things, the Server was EXTREMELY friendly.

Pros: Staff, Busy for a veggie restaur
Cons: Food was only moderate
heatherveganmom
heatherveganmom

love it

Posted on 05 / 25 / 2007

nice place inside for veggy rest., great yummy food. people VERY tolerant of my 4 messy babies so that alone gives them 5 cows!! but food is great

Pros: great food

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegetable Delight: