San Antonio's first all vegan restaurant, opened Aug 2011. Features Tex-Mex and American food with a daily special. Free wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Tex-Mex, Mexican, Catering
8407 Broadway Ste 1 (Viva Book Complex)
San Antonio, Texas 78209
210-826-4223

Open Mon-Fri 11am-8:30pm, Sat 10am-8:30pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Elsie
Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Cute place with vegan food

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2014

Cute location with all vegan food. They were having an all-you-can eat breakfast the day we went and everything was unique and tasty.

Pros: All vegan, Lots of options, Weekend brunch
Suz
Suz

(STILL!) so happy you're here!

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

(original review posted Dec 15, 2011)
fun, cozy, artzy-fartzy, welcoming atmosphere! so happy this little place opened, esp on Sat which is when we are most likely to be on that side of town.

tamales!!!!! hummus!!!! love love love your creativity and willingness to try new stuff and ask for feedback.

super friendly staff, refreshing teas and lemonades, filling and delish vegan fare.

good music, good company, amazing local artwork make the yummy food even more enjoyable. and new longer hours already!

you burst on the scene and became an instant favorite for hungry vegans (esp on Saturdays!)

thanks for finally being the first vegan restaurant in town!

UPDATE: Vegeria has come sooo far since your grand opening as our very first ALL VEGAN GLUTEN FREE restaurant in SATX. Everything we loved you for from the get-go is even better now. The menu is *always* upgrading, always improving ... the food is tastier, healthier and even more creative now. YUM!! Raw menu offerings are filling and fabulous! (I'm working my way thru those.) All gluten free menu means you don't have to worry about a single thing if you're living GF. Baked goods have evolved past that "oh, it's GF texture" stage, to be such luscious works of culinary art!! Too pretty to eat! Too delicious not to scarf! Gorgeous desserts, some raw, all rich and wholesome to satisfy the sweetest tooth. (Yeah, mine!) Weekdays after 5 pm... buy 2 desserts and get 1 free! I have sooo many favorite Vegeria dishes, it's hard to choose from the menu. And there's always something NEW to try! (more choices!) One solution is to come on Saturdays and nosh on everything on the Brunch Buffet. One price... all you can eat. Come Hungry! The atmosphere is cozy and homey as ever. Did i mention those amazing desserts? My taste buds are talking raw raspberry torte ("cheesecake") with blueberries on top right about now... GO!! Sit, Dine and Enjoy!! :D

Pros: cozy and comfy, always improving and growing and YUM!!, LOVE goes into every dish!
JenD
JenD
  • raw

Great Raw Food Options, Mediocre Service.

3 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

I was so excited to find Vegeria! I mean, I love Green (who doesn't?) but as a raw vegan, there are just so many collard wraps you can eat!

The raw options at Vegeria are numerous and delicious:
The taco salad, with their fabulous sunflower chorizo; the awkwardly named "Two Lovers" sandwich with wonderful cashew pepper jack cheese; the bacon cheeseburger, with cashew cheddar and smoky coconut bacon; and the mushroom avocado bacon burger which has coconut bacon, avocado, and the pepper jack cheese, sandwiched between portabella mushrooms.

They used to be open on Saturday, when I would order take-out. Now Saturdays are strictly buffet. Since we're only in SA on the weekends, we don't go there anymore.

While the food was always great, the place did have some issues:
The staff frequently seemed confused by their own menu, and were unsure about raw items.
Service was often slow, and the last time I was there the employees were having an argument in full view of customers.

Pros: Terrific food, Good raw options
Cons: Not fully open on Sat. Closed Sun. , Slow, unprofessional service

sarahandjesse
sarahandjesse

Cute place!

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

We enjoy going here. The food is good, and I particularly enjoy their Boba tea. Their queso is out of this world. However, I prefer Green Vegetarian Cuisine and SeƱor Veggie to Vegeria. They are in the same price range, but both have better tasting food. We try to limit eating out and stick to a strict budget, so we rarely go to Vegeria. That being said, it is certainly worth trying out. The atmosphere is fun, the staff is friendly, and the owner sounds like a great person.

mary a
mary a
  • raw

Scrumptious

5 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

This is one of the best. Great food, great variety love the buffet on Saturday. Just wish there were more soy free desserts. My only vegan place in San Antonio. Considerate staff and very helpful. Lovely ambiance love it love it. Nice serving size for the price. The kale salad and the cauliflower mash potatoes are wonderful. I am working my way down the menu.

Pros: price, portons, friendly staff
futurefossils
futurefossils

The only 100% vegan place in SA!

5 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2013

Vegeria is entirely vegan, as well as gluten free. I was a bit hesitant to order a cookie that was made out of chickpeas but it turned out to be delicious. Everything I've tried at vegeria has been great but some of the baked goods do have a different texture because they're gluten free. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just different. I also ordered an "egg" sandwich that turned out to be fantastic as well as a cupcake....the frosting was something I could happily live off of!

Pros: gluten free, cute place, not too pricey
askkaren
askkaren

Love their lunch specials!

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

Owner, Fred ties his food seriously and will only send it out looking pretty too. I have had him cater a party for me and got rave reviews! I LOVE their lunchtime plate special that comes with a tiny vegan cupcake. MMMmm good.

PruSiter
PruSiter

Amazing!

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

My first experience dining vegan, the nachos are killer! And the staff is very welcoming

Cons: Only Buffet Is Served On Weekends
HeatherSwindell
HeatherSwindell

Local, organic, gluten-free vegan food.

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2013

Vegeria is special. The restaurant is cute and eclectic, and their menu is creative and varied. They don't use mock meats here -- they buy locally grown produce, so occasionally they run out of some things.

They're open on Saturday, filling the gap left by Green Vegetarian Cuisine (which, sadly, is closed on Saturdays), and offer a buffet brunch which is always delicious to a full house. They're open Saturday evening with a limited menu.

During the week, I enjoyed their spinach and cashew cheese quesadilla -- very flavorful and very messy!

What I love most about Vegeria (besides their TO DIE FOR kitchen sink nachos -- these things set the nacho standard so high, nobody else can even come close) is their commitment to supporting cruelty-free causes. Example: I visited Sunny Day Farms, a farm animal rescue organization that depends on donations to help make ends meet. Vegeria catered the event (organized by San Antonio Vegans) and donated all the money to SDF.

These guys are passionate about making the world a cruelty-free place and supporting those who work to do so. While they're still working out the new restaurant kinks (they've only been around a couple of years), they have a lot of potential and get more into their rhythm as time goes on. Their take on Tex-Mex is unique and fresh, and won't leave you feeling bloated and lethargic the way typical greasy, cheese-laden Tex-Mex will.

Taste buds unaccustomed to food that isn't fried, smothered in cheese, or otherwise processed, may find their fresh, local ingredients to be a shock in an unfavorable way. Detox those taste buds and come back when you can really savor the flavors of these plant-based creations in their own right, rather than through the greasy, cheesy lens.

Pros: Wonderful staff, Delicious, creative food, Wonderful restaurant atmosphere
Cons: No sweet tea (adding sugar = no), Small place, very crowded on Saturday
Veganliving
Veganliving

Texas BEST!!!!!!

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2013

Vegeria is our favorite!! We relocated to the Alamo city a couple of months ago and thrill to have such an amazing place to go and relax and not worry when I order about the ingredients, I feel at peace because every item in the menu is VEGAN and FRESH they are working in becoming 100% Gluten free that is a plus !! My last visit had amazing enchiladas with a cashew sauce on top, yuumm!!!! every time we go I get inspiration in my own kitchen!!! If you want to have a fresh, healthy meal super reasonable prices, you can't miss Vegeria, they are attached to the VIVA books Stores so when you are driving around look for the big Viva books red sign!!! PS I love the raw cold pies, the staff is always very friendly and helpful with the menu,

Pros: 100 % VEGAN, Great Ambience, inviting, Delicious Food
troyriedel
troyriedel

Just Awesome - My favorite Vegan Restaurant

5 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2013

I travel a lot and finding good, healthy food is a challenge. This is my first and last stop anytime I'm in San Antonio - easy access from the airport, absolutely delicious Tex-Mex style vegan food and desserts, and super courteous and knowledgeable staff. I can't talk this place up enough, I even take my non-veg friends here and they love it!!

Pros: Cooked and raw menu choices, Excellent value, Friendly
fatadam
fatadam

SUPER LEGIT!

5 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2013

I'm no review writer, but I'll say this: I've traveled all over this OKAY country of ours, and always try to go to the best of the best vegan restaurants.. NYC to Miami, Seattle to San Diego, this very well may be my favorite. A real diamond in the rough, too.. 100% gluten free vegan restaurant in San Antonio??!! My hopes weren't high, but this place rules. My favorite is the Road Trip on rice tortilla. That's it, I guess.. That's all I've got. They receive ALL of my propers. Period. We're done here. Now go and enjoy.

Updated from previous review on Friday May 10, 2013

Regarding poor quality outsourced chips - I try to avoid chips and didn't try t hem, but I was told they are now making them themselves, fried in coconut oil.

Pros: flavor, fair prices, very healthy meals
Cons: San Antonio ;)
lily4511
lily4511

A place to relax and eat Awesome food

5 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2013

When I eat here, I get the enchilada plate, very good. the atmosphere is calm, chill, and relaxed. I think it also has a bit of a family home touch to it, which I like. Everyone is very kind and willing to explain the menu. The nachos are Amazing! I saw the Restaurant ad in a magazine and glad I decided to check it out. Will be hungry for more.

Pros: Location, Casual Dress, Always looking to Improve
dkorosco
dkorosco

Vegeria has the best food

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

Been to this vegan restaurant so many times and have tried a good many of the dishes on the menu. I'm happy to report that all have been absolutely delicious and they do indeed serve texas size portions. I understand that the baked goods are all prepared in their kitchen and all are gluten free! My husband and I usually share a cupcake after our meal but I've also had gluten free chocolate chip cookies, fudge and some very interesting and delicious raw deserts. Speaking of raw foods, there is a good selection of raw meals on the menu as well. I could go on and on about how wonderful this place is but my best advise would be to try it for yourself. Love, love, love this place...in fact, we are having dinner there again tonight.

HappyYogini
HappyYogini

Great Place, Great Food!

4 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2013

The place was so cozy and eclectic. We enjoyed the enchiladas on our visit and we were super full afterwards. The food is hearty and filling and very tasty. The name is a little odd though.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Staff, Hearty Food
Cons: The Name of the Restaurant
ChibiArtist
ChibiArtist

Good for San Antonio

4 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2012

I went here while visiting family for the holidays. I'm originally from SA but now currently live in LA. Of course LA has a lot of options for vegans and nothing compares. I was really happy to be able to go to a vegan restaurant while visiting SA. It was really hard to find had to loop around and still had a hard time. It's attached to a bookstore. The atmosphere is ok, it's really small. I wish I could of ate here a different day because they day we went (12/31/12) they only had a buffet available. I liked the food it was good but I don't eat a lot so the buffet price wasn't worth the amount of food I ate. I would of liked to try a cupcake but they only had two flavors available the they weren't displayed in a way that screamed for me to buy one so I passed. It's awesome that SA has a full vegan restaurant but they definitely need to improve a bit all around to compete with all the meat restaurants. That way more meat eaters would be tempted to visit. I'll come here again next year though =) need to support local vegan joints.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff
Cons: Location, Food display
Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

Great Food! *An explanation for the tortilla chips*

4 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2012

I like this place. I found the food to be good quality and plenty of it. My waitress referred to them as "Texas Sized Portions." I started with a half order of nachos. As I read in other reviews, the tortilla chips are round chips from a bag, almost Tostitos-like. The nachos were loaded with quinoa, taco meat, house made cheese, guacamole and vegetables and they were very good. Yes, the Tostitos-like chips took a little away from them, but not that much. Two reasons why may be, 1. I am from Chicago, not Texas. I don't live and die for tortilla chips like Texans do. 2. I liked them because they are not fried and greasy like the typical Texas restaurant-made chip. I did ask if they knew they were getting some bad reviews on the chips and they said that they were unaware, but they explained that they do not have a fryer and therefore do not have the ability to make their own chips (it is a small kitchen).

I finished off the nachos and then had the tamale plate, which was very good. It consisted of two tamales, a small salad, a choice of two sides (poblano brown rice and corn salad) and a side of house made cheese sauce.

The bakery is gluten free, which usually means lame baked goods, to me, but I had a lemon blueberry gingerbread cupcake that was outstanding.

My only real complain is that this place is not easy to find by just driving down the street. There is no sign on the street and it is attached externally to the Viva Bookstore, which is essentially behind Taco Garage.

Pros: vegan , good food, nice atmosphere
Cons: hard to find, bagged tortilla chips
Timanemone
Timanemone

Great Place!

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2012

I ate here last night for the first time. Very delicious food, and big portions too. I had the sweet potato enchiladas with the cashew cheese and they were great. its a cute little place and the staff was very nice. My companions had the chalupas and were very happy with them too. I can't wait to return to try some other items. The raw menu looked tasty and very reasonably priced. This is a great addition to San Antonio.

Veganbabe83
Veganbabe83

Vegeria a gluten free vegan paradise

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

Thank God for Vegeria! They have a great menu selection including a nice raw menu! They also have delicious tamales! I tried a pumpkin green chili! Hot dam that was great! The bakery is amazing and all gluten free! cake by the slice was amazing also a pumpkin flavor but this time it was pumpkin spice with Barvarian cream and chocolate ganach! Also took home a slice of raw cheesecake no one would know its vegan or raw! Yum!!!

Pros: great food , raw, nice staff and owners
Cons: hard to see the sign outside , needs more than one location
Tulipa
Tulipa

Would go there again

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2012

After reading some the reviews, we were a little reticent to try this restaurant. It was a bit out of the way from where we were staying, but decided to try it anyway. What we had was comparable in quality to the Green Vegetarian Cuisine. We ordered the chalupas and flautas, which were both delicious. The only complaint I had was not enough dressing on the salad. The chips were store bought, but they were fresh and were warmed up. I liked them. The salsa was homemade. Our waiter was very knowledgeable, but it turned out he was one of the owners. I can't comment on the other wait staff because we were visiting and only went one time, but I would definitely go there again. The food was good and it was a nice casual atmosphere.

Pros: Good food
Cons: nothing of significance
Awakenedmind715
Awakenedmind715

Stick to GREEN

2 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2012

Very disappointed with vegeria, I often frequent Green vegetarian cuisine on N. Flores, where I take my mother for our weekly healthy treat and wanted to try something new so I decided to give vegeria a chance and let me begin by saying not only am I a strict vegan but I also feel just as deeply about supporting certain causes, and businesses pertaining to such causes, but I Will most likely never return to vegeria, and I will give my reasons why. Tortilla chips are to easy to make for you to serve me packaged chips, that was the first problem, second, tamales were horrible, all breading, very little filling, I had one of the two types featured today and both were equally dissatisfiing, the black bean soup of the day was cold, the salsa was store bought, the salad was okay, the menu had very little originality and seemed to be several items/dishes directly taken from Green vegetarian cuisine , which I wished I would have stuck with in the first place, not to mention the waitstaff was not the best either, oddly enough there could be hope with just a few minor adjustments, like quality of food, and you should try to make simple things like chips & salsa from scratch

Pros: Catering to vegans
Cons: Not doing a very good job of it
  • Suz Suz

As a long time fan of Vegeria... been there from the very first week they opened... i can vouch for the fact that they've been thru some tough times. Every new biz goes thru those growing pains.(Have you ever owned a biz??) HOWEVER... if there's one thing i KNOW... it's that they do their very very best and serve the most appetizing, HOME MADE foods... every single day. They work extremely hard to improve the menu all the time and it's always creative. It gets better and better. I would strongly recommend this person come back and give Vegeria another shot. They've weathered some hard times and have always come out better on the other side. I challenge you to visit again and write a new review... or update this one!

mnunez021
mnunez021

Just visiting

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2012

This place had great people and great food. I spoke with the manager that mentioned they opened the place back in August and I showed her how well she was doing on this site. I decided to take this opportunity to take them for the great food and deserts for which I love. I will visit again if I am back in town from MD. Thanks a lot and good luck with the business! :-D

Pros: Everything
Cons: Nothing
windysgarden
windysgarden

Fantastic Vegan in San Antonio

5 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2011

I had the great pleasure of traveling to San Antonio this weekend. My first stop was at Vegeria, a new vegan restaurant there. The food was delicious. I had vegan posole, homemade salsa with chips, and an enchilada plate. Everything was perfect and fresh. The enchiladas had this delicious, subtle chile flavoring. The posole was a great gift to me. I have yearned for this dish since becoming a vegetarian (now vegan). The posole again had these delicate flavors that were very satisfying. To top it off the owners were super friendly and spent time chatting with me. As I parted this fair city, I picked up homemade tamales to go - spinach/carmelized onions and soyrizo/bean. Treat yourself and stop by this friendly and delicious restaurant. You will not be dissapointed

Pros: Delicious, Fresh, Friendly
outreach4animals
outreach4animals

LOVED IT!

5 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2011

I've eaten at Vegeria a few times, and it's always good vegan food. I have a great love for all animals and I feel safe here. This a great little place to go and chill out, and not worry about what's on your plate! Healthy, vegan and delicious!

GabrielaPerez
GabrielaPerez

Only the tamal was decent. . .

3 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2011

I wanted so much to enjoy my meal at this restaurant. After all, it's the ONLY vegan place in San Antonio, and I wanted to find a new "home" for when I'm in the mood to eat out. Alas, it was not to be. I spoke with my server and asked specifically for recommendations that would have the homemade vegan cheese included in the meal. She recommended the enchiladas, so I ordered them. I also ordered a homemade tamal, which also was supposed to come with homemade vegan cheese on it. What I got was a plate of inedible enchiladas smothered in a horrible sauce that appeared to be nothing more than chile powder that had been toasted and then mixed with plain old water. Yuk. The problem was that the enchiladas had this sauce inside and out, as the potatoes inside seemed to be infused with the same nasty sauce. To add insult to injury, the cheese melted over the enchiladas was remarkably similar to Daiya cheese, which I happen to like, but which was definitely NOT homemade vegan cheese. Perhaps the chef has learned how to duplicate Daiya cheese him/herself, but I doubt it. I wouldn't have minded the Daiya cheese being on my food; as I said, I happen to like the stuff. But the server clearly either didn't know what would be on the plate or didn't care. Neither option makes me a happy vegan camper. The corn and bean salad that I ordered as my side tasted as though the tomatoes had been in the fridge for a few days, not spoiled but definitely old. The saving grace, and the reason I will return to give the place another chance, was the tamal. It was absolutely delicious. I wished I'd known how good it would be, as I'd definitely have been happy with two or three of them instead of the enchiladas. I don't kid you at all when I say that the tamal was one of the best I have ever had. Moist, substantial, and full of flavor, and covered with that homemade vegan cheese that I so wish had been on other things. Just fabulous. That alone will encourage me to return. I hope that this new establishment becomes more conscientious about its ingredients, or at least about properly telling their customers what is going to be on the plate. And please--get rid of that enchilada sauce!

Pros: flavorful tamal, nice atmosphere, really trying to offer good vegan food
Cons: horrible enchilada sauce, food at times lacked freshness, uneducated server
nondairydreamer
nondairydreamer

Vegeria is awesome!

4 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2011

We ate at Vegeria last Saturday and loved it. Service was friendly, restaurant was adorable, Vegan Nachos were to die for!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: small restaurant
NickPassey
NickPassey

Vegan Comfort Food San Antonio

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2011

Vegeria is a great all Vegan Cafe that features a lot of Vegan spins on classic fun dishes. I ordered a Peanut Butter Cup Shake, the Vegan Nachos, and a Portabella Mushroom Sub. Everything I tried was great and the person that joined me had enchiladas and was also quite pleased. The prices were incredibly fair, and I even felt like the menu was a bit underpriced for the quality of food. They have some what limited hours, however it is worth making it part of your mid-day as it is a can't miss in San Antonio.

Pros: Veganized Classics, great food, good service
Cons: limited hours, not obvious signage, under priced
ElleGoldstein
ElleGoldstein

Amazing!!

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2011

I went vegan 2 months ago and already was getting annoyed with my lack of restaurant options. One vegan/vegetarian option on a menu just isn't enough! I went to Vegeria for the first time on saturday and it felt like christmas! I had nachos, oreo french toast with strawberries, cupcakes and brownies. Then I kept stealing from my friends plates! Everything was delicious! The staff was friendly. The atmosphere was cozy and adorable. I will be going back there are often as possible. The only downside is that they did so well they were running out of food! That just shows you how delicious their food is! As long as they are around I will be a happy vegan :)

Pros: Delicious food, Delicious food, Delicious food
Elsie
Elsie

San Antonio's newest veg heaven!

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2011

I have had the pleasure of eating here three times in the first week that they have opened, haha! The owners- Fred Anthony and David- are very approachable, hands-on, innovative, open-minded, and open to suggestions. They have crafted a great menu full of comfort food and some really unique flavor combos. Such as the Peanut Butter & Jelly Club- chunky PB, bright green sweet pepper jelly, and vegan sausage- strangely good combo- this sandwich is 3 layers of bread and very filling. I really like their vegan sausage and hope to see it on the Saturday brunch menu soon. Speaking of brunch, the Oreo-crusted french toast will bring you right back to your childhood memories of breakfast. I am not sure what they use as the french toast batter, but it makes the bread just melt in your mouth. I have had the tamales, which are not at all like the bland vegan ones I have tried at other places. The broccoli queso tamales are my favorite so far. The coconut cilantro lime rice is also my favorite side so far. I have had several of their cupcakes- they have a great baker! The ones with fillings in the middle seem to be the most moist and fresh tasting. Try the "Death by Chocolate" cupcake!

Pros: Reasonable prices, Fresh food, Innovative menu items
Cons: Limited Hours- no dinner hours (yet)

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegeria: