CLOSED: Vegehana

Menu changes daily and features soup, main dish, sides, salad, and whole grain pastries. Also veggie burgers, sandwiches, falafel, quiche, desserts, and drinks. Vegan food may be served on Wednesday only. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Westen, Bosnian, Take-out, Delivery
Ferhadija 39 (/in the old town)
Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina 71000
+387-33570682

Open Mon-Fri 11am-9pm, Sat 12-9pm.

First Review by raluca
beegantravels
beegantravels

Posted on 05 / 31 / 2013

I double checked, but I'm afraid my experience was just like Bram's. The furniture was still inside, but the restaurant was closed when I went as well and the woman at Makrovita told me it wouldn't be opening again.

Bram
Bram

Posted on 04 / 18 / 2013

I was there within opening hours, all was dark and closed. The cafe next to it told me it will not open again. Maybee do a double check, furniture is stil inside.

Vegehana rocks!

Posted on 04 / 03 / 2013

I thought I will hardly find vegetarian food in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and then.. in the middle of the main historical place, Bascasija, I found Vegehana! It was as an oasis in the desert.
I and my Korean friend ate two days in row there, and we would eat the 3rd day if wasn't Sunday, damn! They don't work Sundays.
The food is delicious, well done, not expensive and the staff friendly. There you can find all kind of vegetarian and vegan food. The place is very comfy and I WOULD WARMLY RECOMMEND IT! :)

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff

kwanza
kwanza

Good option

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2012

Decent menu consisting of pasta, goulash, sandwiches, burgers and salads. Food is good quality but not exceptional. I enjoyed the vegan burger, which was very filling. Didn't have any desserts but none appeared to be suitable for vegans. Prices are reasonable.

Vegehana is a welcome find in a city where grilled meats are king. It is in a very handy location just by the old town. However, I wouldn't recommend it for a slow, romantic dinner - try Karuzo instead.

Pros: great location, mix of healthy options and fast food
Cons: not the most inspired menu
kuni
kuni

cheap and good

Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

We ate here around two weeks ago, in the evening around 21:00. It's true lots of things off the menu aren't available, but as I understood it that was because we were there quite late in the evening. I'd rather have that anyway than everything always available, after which the restaurant has to throw away a lot of (still) good food.

In short: the food is good and tasty, and cheap above all (we paid 28KM for two persons and even had to take some quinoa we couldn't fit anymore with us in a box they have available for exactly those reasons;)).

The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful, and sincerely apologised for certain things not being available. Good choice to go here!

Besides that, they're fully vegan except for some cheese being offered.

Pros: cheap, central location, tasty
Cons: too much focused on the health side
jollypig
jollypig

Poorly run, variable food quality & availability

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2012

**update**
My last review was written in 2009. Vegehana has since moved, closed and reopened. It now has a fantastic site in the old town and is popular and busy.

I really want to like it, but... They go to the trouble of having a website and a Facebook page, but when they close they do so for months on end and don't keep members informed.

Also, I'm afraid to say, the food isn't great. It is poorly managed. For example, there is a veggie burger. It's ok, but it's huge. When asked why, why not make it normal-sized - response: "the bread comes this way". I should also mention that the veggie platter is bad - consisted of fried mushrooms, some grilled courgettes and aubergines. It was tasteless and badly seasoned.

Most frustrating of all, In my experience they only tend to have half of the menu available at any given time.

Unfortunately, we've stopped going for these reasons. Better options in Sarajevo are Taj Mahal, Global Foods and Tavola (not entirely veggie, but well managed and good veggie options).

************************************
2009 review:

I really enjoyed my visit to Vegehana. The food was very cheap during happy hour (6-7pm) at 6KM which is less than £3 (it's 10KM at other times). The staff are friendly and enthusiastically trying to promote healthy eating in Sarajevo. It's only open until 7pm so get there early. They'll deliver anywhere in town at no extra charge. Fantastic - go there!
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 26, 2009

Pros: The only totally veg option in Sarajevo, Healthy, Cheap
Cons: Very poorly managed, 50% of menu generally not available
Maggie
Maggie

Vegehana has reopened - new expanded space & menu

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2012

Vegehana has been closed for some months while they expanded and renovated the space. It is now open with a completely new menu. The space is lovely, with nice art and wall prints. The menu has also expanded. They no longer have the set menu, but a large variety of a la carte items, with many vegan choices, and with cheese they make themselves without animal rennet. They have tofu, seitan and cheese dishes, sandwiches and salads - even French fries, a treat, as I'm never sure in other restaurants whether they are fried with meat or fish. Their ginger drink continues to be my favorite. The vegiburger is great, as is the mushroom and cream pasta. There are also several eggless desserts. I wouldn't say the food is gourmet, but it is tasty, fresh and homemade.

Pros: great selection of veg and vegan food, lovely space, nice music
Beckle
Beckle

Delish!

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2011

I had lunch here and went back for dinner...

Fantastic food and a very nice setting. I had the vegan burger for lunch which was very filling and tasty. Their shakes are fantastic and highly recommend them.

I had the daily special for dinner which was diverse and wholesome.

Very impressed and the great location right next to the mosque is great.

Pros: location, shakes, Food
Cons: Run out of dishes at night
twinkle
twinkle

The only Vege place in town

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2011

IMPORTANT: some previous review say that Vegehana is only open until 7, but now they have extended their hours and are open until 10 PM, no need to rush in early :).
Vegehana is a good resource, because most of the restaurants in the touristic area cater to tourists, serve meaty foods. I did go to one place with a friend that just served meat, and they allowed me to bring my own food from outside. I think the idea of vegetarianism may be becoming more accepted.
But about Vegehana! The food was very hearty and healthy. I went twice, and both nights got the daily menu. There are other options, but I thought it was a good way to try some different foods. When you order, you can get the small (7 KM) or the large version (12 KM). I got the small menu, but it was still way too much food for me. The second time I asked not to get soup, but it was still too much.
To be honest, I found the food to be a bit mixed. Some of the things were very delicious, others were kind of bland. The first night I went, there was a very delicious mushroom borek, and a nice salad with tomatoes, cucumbers and cheese. There was something like ratatouille which was okay, soup was okay, and a kind of yucky grain salad. The second night I went, the soya steak was nice, the salad was good, and there was a kind of yucky cheese and potato pie thing.
I think if I went again, I would select items off of the menu (salad and one other thing) rather than getting the plate.
The staff was nice and friendly and the atmosphere was very good. I was happy to find a vegetarian restaurant in Sarajevo, I just wish I had more positive things to say about the food.

Pros: Inexpensive, Central location, Friendly place
Cons: Food just so-so

Awesome veggie cafe.

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2011

Truly delicious food - visited three times whilst in Sarajevo, and had the falafel plate, the veggie burger, and the meal of the day (which was entirely vegan on the sunday). There were always vegan options, at least the falafel plate and one burger. Great staff who knew the ingredients of the menu and specials very well. Vegan puddings!

Tal
Tal

Friendly and Delicious!

Posted on 06 / 13 / 2010

I went to eat at Vegehana twice during the week I spent in Sarajevo and really enjoyed it. The food was delicious and the staff very friendly :) I also like the atmosphere there, it's very pleasant and relaxed.
The prices are cheap be European standards(Sarajevo is cheap in general).

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Good atmosphere
Cons: none
raluca
raluca

Veggie haven

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2009

Bosnian cooking in general is very rich in meat and there is very little understanding for vegetarians. In regular restaurants even most salads have meat in them and the "just pick the meat out and eat the rest" attitude is prevalent.
Which is why it's so great a place like Vegehana exists.
It's 100% vegetarian and health food oriented. There's a different menu every day (the menu for the week is posted on the website), with various ethnic influences and everything is just delicious.
The restaurant does not serve alcohol or sodas - fresh fruit juices instead. It is also non-smoking - again, a rarity in Sarajevo!
Give it a go and support the only veggie place in town!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Vegehana: