Vege Thai

Vegetarian Thai cuisine. Offers mockmeat dishes and curries. Vegans note that the mockmeats might contain whey - ask. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Thai, Take-out
3272 SE Hawthorne Blvd (Hawthorne District)
Portland, Oregon 97214
503-234-2171

Open Mon-Fri 11.30-3pm, 5-9pm, Sat-Sun 12-9pm.

First Review by vandp
eirefox
eirefox

Wonderful!

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2014

The food if affordable. The owner if friendly. The food is good!

Pros: Affordable, Tasty, Convenient hours
Chris W
Chris W

Highly recommended

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2013

We visited this restaurant on our last evening in Portland. The food was delicious and the lady serving was able to let us know exactly what was vegan (loads). When we ordered we were given a couple of their new dishes to try out as well. I wish we had visited earlier in our stay and would definitely be a regular if I lived in Portland.

Pros: Very friendly, Great vegan selection, Delicious food
cattyshedevil
cattyshedevil

pretty good!

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

I was surprised on the quality and care that they put in this. They do carry non dairy milk ( coconut ) for Thai tea.

The vegan chicken doesn't have whey.

Pros: service, selection
Lettuce Muncher
Lettuce Muncher

Had to change my review :(

2 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

I used to LOVE this place. It was my alltime favorite restaurant. Great spring rolls, "chicken" nuggets and Pad Woon Sen. But the last four times I have gone, I have been disappointed. The service has been lacking and the food quality has gone way downhill. My pad woon sen now is mostly blackened glass noodles with little veggies. The nuggets are half the regular size, but the same price. I tried the Pad Thai and it tasted like someone poured ketchup over noodles. Also the last time I was there the owner brought in a Burger King bag! I would like to think there is no meat brought into a vegetarian restaurant (and yes, I don't know what was in the bag-could have been a salad). My mother-in-law ordered sticky rice and peanut sauce, and the rice was too dry to eat. They took the rice off our bill but charged us for the sauce, even though we ordered it specifically for the rice. I will sadly be giving this place a break for a long time :(

Pros: Lots of options
Cons: Food quality declined
  • spiffysavannah spiffysavannah

I thought of ketchup when I had the pad Thai too!

camelliasinensis
camelliasinensis

Good, but nothing special

3 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2011

My husband and I stopped at this restaurant for lunch after we had been shopping on Hawthorne. We had a coconut curry and a cashew 'chicken', and they were good, but nothing special.

Pros: location, vegan selection

Took
Took

My Favorite Thai

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2011

I went there for lunch the other day with my friend. Only one other table was taken, so the service was excellent. I ordered two different types of salad (summer) rolls. I loved them both! One had soy ham, avocado, red bell pepper, cucumber...and other things I can't recall. The other roll was just your standard salad roll...always good :) I'll be back. Oh and my friend ordered the pad thai and loved it.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, quiet
Mateog13
Mateog13

Terrible service

2 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2010

I was so excited to try this place out. We were seated and a half full dining area and waited 10 minutes before we had water or menus. The server came to take out orders and smiled when we said had not seen a menu. SHe proceeded to seat and take orders from people that came in after we did...we ended up walking out hungry and frustrated. I have not even tried to go back since then.

Cons: bad servers
Arant
Arant

accolades

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2008

On July 3rd, we visited Vege Thai and were delighted by the excellent food and service. The food was tasty and nice portions. We will go back.

915phil
915phil

Disappointing

2 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2008

Perhaps my expectations were too high, I love Thai food and I had been dying for a vegetarian Thai restaurant. I've had better Thai food from grocery store-bought mixes, though, and I gave myself better service than this place gave me. At a fraction of the price, no less. I guess what I'm saying is skip it. UPDATE: If you are craving veggie Thai, I have found it: Araya's in Seattle is amazing, I dare say worth the drive for your Portlanders; make a day-trip of it!

Cons: Bland food, Bad faux meat, Minimal service
mute-Ade
mute-Ade

Questionable Intention, Lackluster Experience

2 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2008

Some folks go veg for health, some out of compassion, and others simply out of cultural tradition. Vege Thai seems to be in the last category; be warned that their dairy and egg are of typical, factory-farmed origin. When I learned this, I knew I would never return, but unfortunately I stuck around and ordered that day. As for healthiness, they also fail in this category. A little bit of MSG is okay with me--it does have some valid uses--but Vege Thai definitely overdoes it. I swole up like a balloon the next day, a balloon with unquenchable thirst! The food and service are okay. And by "okay," I mean JUST okay. I tipped out of courtesy only. I suppose if you are hungry, and happen to be **extremely** close-by, go ahead and try it out. Otherwise, forego the horrible Thai Pop music and look elsewhere... This place is sadly lacking in the "good energy" feel that permeates most vegetarian joints... Of all the veggie restaurants I've visited in Portland, easily at the bottom of the list.

Pros: Roof, Floor
Cons: Food, Service, Intention

better than sex

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2008

vege thai, to me, is the best restaurant in the universe. it offers super quick and friendly service. the food is freaking wonderful. i've had great memories at this place, and after i'm done writing this i'm riding my bike there and feasting. one day I may leave portland, and vege thai will be one of the things that I would really miss.

my fav: pad thai with soy shrimp and the sampler with a friend

the only cons: the music is ridiculous! but it's so bad that i enjoy it.

special bonusus: rolling stone and people magazine while you wait to kill time, and an awesome vintage furniture place and dollar store across the street

Don't go.

2 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2007

I can't believe so many people are giving this place a good review. This "Thai" food is very Americanized and lacks in flavor. If you want thai food don't go to Vege Thai. If you want good american "chicken" nuggets, then go right ahead.

Pros: mock chicken
Cons: gross thai food
vandp
vandp

Great Food

4 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2007

Good food and good sized portions. Yellow Curry and Peanut Sauce are great. Pad Thai was good (made better left overs). Service is quick.

Pros: good portions, great taste

Dear Owner and Manager of Vege Thai: