Vege Taco

Small cafe. Serves traditional Mexican food in vegetarian versions. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Mexican
Calle Carrillo Puerto 65, Esq Alberto Zamora, Coyoacan
Mexico City, Mexico

First Review by vacavaca
saveur
saveur

Tasty tacos

5 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2013

Definitely one of my favourite restaurants we visited while in Mexico City. Highly recommend their mole taco. I wish I could have tried all of their tacos because they were so good. Their tacos are faux meat heavy so it was nice to get sides with more vegetables (salad and soup). The resto is all veg, but easy to ask to omit cheese for vegans.

7 pesos for a taco. 45 pesos for a salad, soup, 3 small tacos and a drink. How could you go wrong? Cheap and tasty!

Pros: cheap, tasty, fast
www.danaleong.com
www.danaleong.com

Rocking!

3 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

This place rocks. They have tons of options with inventive FLAVORFUL tacos, salads, soups. No brainer. Mostly vegan (except for some cheeses). Highly recommended!

Pros: Cheap, Fast , Kind
AndrewB
AndrewB

My favourite restaurant

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

This is easily my favourite restaurant in Mexico City. We go here all the time and I just cannot get enough of their tacos or cecina mixta.

If you go during the week, before 5 p.m. I believe, and order a meal or a certain number of tacos, you will get a free salad and soup before your main course. This makes it reasonably busy, but there's a good amount of seating, so you should be OK.

If you are vegetarian and looking for authentic tasting tacos, look no further!

Pros: Excellent value, Excellent food, Good portions
ASHTARY
ASHTARY

Taqueria

3 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2013

Platillos muy ricos, menu diario entre semana, la carne es de gluten, si eres intolerante no es un lugar para ti.
Cocinan con mucha grasa pero sabe rico.

Pros: Servicio rapido
Cons: No tiene lugar de estacionamiento, Toda la carne es con Gluten
enRoute
enRoute

my goodness... mexiveg bliss

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2012

This place is something else... looks like an unassuming corner taco shop as many have mentioned, but they have a truly deep variety of veggie tacos plus surprises like veggie braised kid which is just fantastic. Very sensitive to vegan options, just ask. Open till around 7, just late enough to grab a quick dinner. Come to Coyoacan for the tacos, then stay for the lovely neighborhood.

Pros: scrumptious, cheap, varied
Cons: overboard with the mirrors, not very conveniently located
veglvr88
veglvr88

Great Food! Great Price!

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2012

The food at this restaurant was great. This restaurant serves many of the traditional mexican dishes with vegetarian meat replacements. I went with a group of five people and we ordered several items off the menu to share. Some of the best dishes we tried were the tacos al pastor, the huitlacoche and the chile nogada. The price was unbeatable the total for all five of us to eat was less than 300 pesos.

redquasar
redquasar

amazing!

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2011

Found this place off of happycow. It is located in a rather bohemian/touristy but SAFE Coacayan neighborhood of Mex City.

Great food! Nice lunch specials. Great variety. We had the lunch combo including tortilla soup, 3 types of tacos, and sald. Al pastor, fajita, bean, picadillo.. all 100% veg.. amazing stuff. Salsa's were great. Wash it down with some great agua fresca-- jamaica, limon amongst other varieties.

Human and delicoius way to enjoy "street" tacos. Clean and hygeinic place.

Pros: cheap, clean, authentic taste
Frettls
Frettls

Nice surprise

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2011

Traveling has always been a challenge when it comes to finding good vegan food. My wife and I have more than not resorted in going to local grocers first because we can usually come up with some creative fare.
There seems to be a bigger trend for veggie friendly places to find comfort in dinning.
So...vegi taco is as the other reviews have stated. I'm not a big gluten fan but they do a great job creating the faux experience. There drinks are great with some good combos.
My dinner recommendation would be the chile nogalas...a cile relleno
Stufed with nuts fruit and guten topped with a walnut sauce. So for me I'm getting more natural based food as opposed to all wheatmeat,and it rocks.
I liked it enough to go back a few times.

Pros: Covenient, Healthy, Small business
Roseybo
Roseybo

• raw

Nyom!

4 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2010

Like Vacavaca said....this place doesn't look like much from the outside. I almost missed it. It is in a nice part of town, and so the search is pleasant anyway. It's small, and there is seating around the wall in the back, or around the kitchen on higher stools, so you can watch the food being prepped. The menu was easy enough for a non-Spanish speaker to understand - especially with the aid of a dictionary, and the staff were all really helpful - translating when they could. There are also pictures of the dishes, which are all Mexican. I ordered the "Cecina" Mixta a la Tampiquena which cost around 76 pesos. It came with a starter of a salad with Alfalfa and Sesamae seeds, and a Tomatoe and green bean soup. The dish itself was abundant too. Rather heavy on the cheese for me - but I'm transitioning away from vegan. I would probably have understood that too if my Spanish was better. My green juice was delicious too!
Definitely worth the short walk away from Coyoacan's main squares.

Pros: Excellent food., Great value., Wonderful service.
vacavaca
vacavaca

great little place

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2008

This place doesn't look like more than a small, typical taco place. But, it is more expansive inside than you would think - although lacking in decoration or atmosphere. The food is wonderful. They make their gluten in house, and everything is fresh. They offer a variety of traditional Mexican dishes, without meat.(However, you do need to specify about cheese and cream if you are Vegan.)
We enjoyed the barbeque flautas, which were delicious and substantial, and may also come with a soup and salad. We also had tacos one with delicious mole, one with mushrooms and one nepal. All were delicious and simple - as was the guacamole we ordered. The restaurant only offers vegetable and fruit drinks - We enjoyed the strong lime, beet, and especially the jamaica juice.

Pros: great food, great value
Cons: small variety of drinks, atmosphere bland

Dear Owner and Manager of Vege Taco: