Indian vegetarian restaurant that also offers Jain food. Name in Japanese name is ヴェジハーブサーガ, address 東京都台東区上野5-16-9. Reported open to HappyCow, July 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out, Delivery

FangedHare
  • raw

Deteriorated

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2015

I hadn't been here for awhile, but noticed the recent negative reviews by chance, which has prompted me to revise my own review. My own experience has never been as bad as others described, but still...things haven't been quite the same here recently. The restaurant atmosphere here (if one can call it that), has always been rough, but at least the food quality, the cleanliness, the service, were all saving graces. But even those seem to have gone downhill. Mainly service, which I guess affects everything else...the staff doesn't seem to care much anymore.

Frankly, this wasn't entirely unexpected. I think it's a symptom of non-restaurateurs trying to run a restaurant in Tokyo (not least a vegan one, one of the most difficult). But the difficulties may have simply caught up with them after a couple of years. I hoped they would beat the odds, but it's painfully obvious that things aren't going as well here compared to before.

My initial review was a stretched 4 stars, but now down to 2. The poor environment here has always been hard for me to take, but now with the general deterioration also, there's little incentive for me to come here anymore. I'll miss the strong natural spicing, but can live without it. And the Jains I've known personally have tended to be fastidious with their food, so I imagine (hope?) that the food cleanliness also remains good despite current impressions. In fact, I don't fully get it but Indian natives (one of whom initially introduced me to it) still seem to like and hype this place. All I can say is, that clientele aside perhaps, I find it hard to recommend it, most especially in Japan of all places. There are better choices for vegan Indian dining (for example Veg Kitchen which is very close to here, or Nataraj, my ongoing favourite).

Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 11, 2014

Cons: Unpleasant atmosphere, Deteriorated service
StephieLin
StephieLin

Not worth it. Uncomfortable dining experience.

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2015

I don't know what the hype is about for this place. My partner and I went out of our way to dine in this restaurant, only to be disappointed by it.

When we first entered the restaurant, we immediately noticed that the environment was dirty, messy and shabby. It was unpleasant to look at.

The service needs improvement. One of the staff was friendly enough to point out which are our vegan options but the waiter who served us the food was grumpy. He handed us a metal plate which was dripping wet. He then quickly retrieved it and exchanged for a dry one. When the food was being serviced he basically dumped our food on the table. 'Thump' job done, moving on.

The food was mediocre. Not the best curry I have had but not the worst either. Ordered Chana Masala and it was a bit too dry. The roti was OK.

I really do not recommend this place. There are better places to eat in Tokyo.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 02, 2015

Pros: Cheap
Cons: Dirty environment , Bad Service
  • FangedHare FangedHare

There's just one thing I don't really get. How does a small relatively obscure restaurant which normally gets one review every few months or such, suddenly get three absolutely scathing ones all on the *same day*? It seems odd. Did you all come on the same tour bus or something? If it weren't for you specifically (Stephie), whose reviews I trust, I might have been inclined to call some kind of foul...

JamesBell
JamesBell

Dodgy and Weird

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2015

Funnily enough we were seated and eating slightly before the last reviewers came in. I laughed the whole way through their review because I couldn't agree more.

The curry was mediocre at best, I've had better so all the people here saying its 5 star obviously don't know curry.

The restaurant looked dirty and not just shabby. One dude was friendly enough but his other staff was grumpy and it seemed like they were all arguing. So weird.

Bad service, below par food, and we got asked for ten yen too. Freakin weird.

Would not recommend.

Pros: food not as bad as it could have been
Cons: crap service, crap atmosphere, awkward

channellehazel
channellehazel

Food OK, That's About It

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2015

My partner and I were pointed to a 4 person table when we arrived. When I asked about the blue dots on the menu, guessing it meant vegan, the staff said it meant no garlic and onion. It was vegan though. While waiting for our food, we couldn't help but notice the lack of cleanliness. The walls were dirty, the tables hadn't been wiped properly, the steel plates given to us had water droplets still on them and the container with the cutlery in it was unclean too. The staff member serving us barely spoke to us, so we didn't realise we had to get our own cutlery until he had seated two other customers at our table (which we weren't asked/notified about either).

We could hear hoicking sounds (the ghastly sound many old men tend to make before spitting) from the kitchen, and saw a customer being served an order of a glass of coke. The staff member pulled out a 3/4 full pet bottle of Coke, opened it and poured it into a glass and handed it to the customer, then drank directly from the bottle himself in front of the customer. It made us concerned about the missing initial 1/4 from the bottle.

My curry was OK, but when the staff member put a curry down in front of the lady beside us, we weren't sure whether it was hers or ours (turned out it was ours). His curry was also reasonable tasting at least. The rotis were just OK as well, and the rice we had ordered was forgotten, so got that pretty late.

When going to pay, the staff member asked me for ten yen to make it easier. I didn't have ten yen, which is why I didn't give him any in the first place, but he insisted so I asked my partner gave me his. Partner had the same problem, being asked for ten yen repeatedly even though he didn't have any. Eventually the staff gave him the correct change. Very uncomfortable.

Would NOT recommend.

Pros: Food, Price
Cons: Cleanliness, Service
  • JamesBell JamesBell

Oh hey dude! I think you came in just when we were finishing up. We were thinking about sending you warning signals to bail but didn't muster the courage :( If you need help finding good vegan food in Tokyo, we have been weeding out the good from the bad and would be happy to grab a feed with you guys :)

• StephieLin StephieLin

That is just gross. It really makes me worry about the food i just ate. I feel nauseous.

The place is so budget and serves low quality food.

dagny70
dagny70

Great Food, ignore the decor!

Posted on 03 / 11 / 2015

I never would have found this place had I not read a review, and, having found it, I'm not sure I would've gone in! It's in the basement of a building, a tiny place, and really shabby looking. But the food! Delicious! I've been a couple of times now, tried the masala dosa,coconut rice, aloo gobi, and the kofta. And the naan bread is some of the nicest I've ever had. The two staff (owners?) are lovely, one in particular is super-friendly, he sings as he works, and really wants you to try the chai tea. They seem really concerned that the spiciness level of the food suits you too. The decor may not be up to much, but honestly, for great Indian food at a good price, I really recommend this place. Easy to find. Take the Hibiya line to Naka-Okachimachi, Exit 2. On street level, turn right and walk to the first side street. Turn left down this street, walk along to second street on your left. You will see a sandwich board outside, directing you down a grim-looking set of stairs! Don't be afraid, there is good food down there!

Pros: Great Indian food!, Inexpensive, Friendly staff
Cons: Very small, Interior a bit seedy
Helo
Helo

The Best In Tokyo.

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2014

The most delicious Indian food I ever had in Tokyo.
The best.

rommelgc
rommelgc
  • non-vegetarian

Ueno Vege Herb Saga

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

I've eaten here 2 times. It is a long way from my apartment. On weekdays they have lunch sets. Choose 1, 2 or 3 curry servings from a list of 5-6.

The restaurant is open until 3pm for lunch but you have until 2:30pm to order food. They shut down the kitchen at this time.

Spicy means spicy! And I love it.

The space is small. And large groups can become noisy.

Pros: competitive price, good food
Cons: small
JesseD
JesseD

A Little Piece of India

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2013

This cluttered, aroma-filled basement is a little piece of India, where beaming chefs, run off their feet, turn out the best Indian meals in Tokyo. Owned by a Jain, this is where vegetarian Indian business people come to eat authentic Indian food like they'd get at home without worrying about contamination of their food. But it's not just vegetarian Indians: many Japanese I've met there come because they've seen it on TV, where it wins awards as one of the top Indian restaurants in Tokyo - a great advertisement for vegetarian food in Japan. Beware that being a tiny place, you'll often need to share a table with other guests (not necessarily a bad thing as I've had many an interesting conversation there, but something to consider when planning a night out) and if you order a time-consuming dish it may take a while - up to an hour, or two on a really busy Saturday night, but of course side orders will come out earlier - as the two chefs freshly cook all the meals, regardless of how busy they are. Even the curry powders etc are roasted on site from fresh ingredients, regularly imported from India. This is the only specialised South Indian vegetarian restaurant in Tokyo (apart from a few dishes at the new Govinda's Edogawa) if not Japan, and the dosas and other snacks are divine. Vegan items are clearly labelled on the menu. This is one of my favourite restaurants in Tokyo.

Pros: South Indian food like masala dosas!!, friendly staff, reasonable prices
Cons: located in a cramped basement, sometimes long waits for food
Aya
Aya

The most cheerful staff ever!

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

I wasn't impressed by the food - we had a set of two curries, but the portions were extremely small while the curries were extremely spicy (spicy-spicy). I guess we forgot to ask for a milder option.

Even though the food left a lot to be desired, the atmosphere was great - it's a simple no frills place with singing staff! They were chatting cheerfully, humming melodies and in general they were very friendly.

Pros: Nice staff, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Small portions, Very spicy
MidnightSun112
MidnightSun112

probably my favorite Indian restaurant in Tokyo

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

I've been living in Tokyo for 5 years and have visited many Indian restaurants but this one is probably my favorite. Restaurant is entirely vegetarian and non-smoking. Vegan or vegan-possible items are marked on the menu (or simply ask the staff). Jain food and Taiwanese vegetarian (no onions, garlic, etc.) also available. The menu is huge and consists of many items that cannot be found at other Indian restaurants in Tokyo.

Pros: authentic, high quality, unique flavor, huge menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Vege Herb Saga: