Wholesale and retailer shop selling fresh and frozen vegan foods, soy cheese, faux meat products, packed dried herbs, sauces, and frozen packed meals. Has a section in the back corner labeled "these products contain dairy." Also bakery and a veg burger bar in the same location. more-less
113 King St (Sydney Inner West)
Newtown, New South Wales 2042
02-97199535

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by ampallang
bianchina
bianchina

vegan ice creams and other goodies

Posted on 03 / 10 / 2014

Nice to find this place next to Green Gourmet. There's a very good selection of flavours in the ice-cream bar. As well as a little grocery with all the usual vegan products - mock meats, soy products etc, as well as things that you can pick up in most Asian groceries, such as miso. Vegan chocolates and sweets. Worth a browse!

Pros: vegan ice cream bar is impressive
Lea
Lea

Great place to shop

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2014

At the risk of being repetitive, the ice cream is unbelievably excellent. Coconut,vanilla,strawberry, chocolate, banana, mango etc. Some of the more obscure flavours may be an acquired taste, like lotus root, green tea and black sesame. Love stocking up on the frozen yum cha items and mock meats - handy to have in the freezer for the occasional lazy/quick meal. You can also buy some of the restaurant's own sauces in jars. Their chilli sauce is great but pretty darn hot. I am never allowed to visit my mum in law without taking some of their vegan ice cream and barbeque not pork

2014 update:
This shop has improved more and more since my previous review. They now have a wider range of non traditional and fascinating ice cream flavours, such as rose-vanilla, popcorn, maple walnut and (my favourite) date-ginger - very strong and tangy but wonderful. They have also added a huge range of desserts, cakes, baked and raw cheesecakes, brownies, cookies, etc, all made by them on site, as is the ice cream.

Their raw cheesecakes deserve a special mention. Normally I never order these in raw restaurants as they usually are a heavy slab of coconut fat and nuts too richly flavoured that leave me nauseous. In contrast, at Green Gourmet/ Vegan's Choice the filling is whipped, light and fluffy and delicately flavoured. I could probably eat a whole cake and only feel a little bit sick!

My only regret is that they no longer sell their restaurant's chilli sauce in jars to take home. I don't know why, as they still sell some of their other sauces. It is the best chilli sauce I know of. I can only feed my addiction now by going into the restaurant and ordering extra bowls of it to go with my yum cha!

Pros: I can't believe it's not ice cream!, take home frozen yum cha, Very nice staff
Cons: It takes a long time to pack the ice cre, Can't buy chilli sauce for home
it_be_asin
it_be_asin

This is not a health food store

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2013

I find it amusing that this is listed as a health food store, as 95% of the stuff I have bought from here are sweets.

But they were awesome cakes, brownies and chocolates and I regret nothing.

Pros: So much sweet variety
Cons: A brownie is a sometimes food

VeggieLover911
VeggieLover911

THE BEST!

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2013

Vegan's Choice is an amazing little gem nestled away in Newtown! They have the most Devine tofu ice cream :) (we can't go in without getting a scoop or two). They also offer a large range of other vegan treats - carrot cake, cheesecakes, brownies, cookies, etc. Some are no made with no added sugar which is always a big bonus. Make sure to also pick up some of their pre-made yum cha/dim sum in the freezer section. If you would like to have a taste beforehand, go for yum cha at Green Gourmet right next door (Vegan's Choice sister establishment), or you can always visit the other branch in St. Leonards. They also have tons of choices for mock meat and mock dairy products!!!

Pros: DELICIOUS! , Great selections, reasonably priced
Cons: traffic to Newtown can be a problem
jasminetea
jasminetea

One-stop shop for vital supplies

Posted on 10 / 02 / 2013

I have been buying things from Vegan's Choice for many years. I especially like the take-home frozen versions of the meals served at Green Gourmet next door - namely the Tofu Nori Seaweed and the vegan wonton soup. Vegan oyster sauce, homemade "fish" sauce and other condiments are available. They also stock many of the UK mock rashers, fish fingers and cheese products, but they aren't cheap. The cake and ice-cream section is a welcome addition for vegans wanting a sugar fix.

Pros: Huge range of frozen products, Extensive veg condiment section, Eftpos available
Cons: Can get pricey, Product availability hit and miss
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Lots of stuff here

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

Plenty of options.

Note that most things are, but not everything is vegan - check the ingredients. "Vegan's Choice" means more than you might think!

It can also be pricey. For example Cheezly is $2 more here than at my local - and my local is not cheap by any standards. And the cakes are very expensive too - more like sit-down rather than take-away prices.

But it's cool to have a shop with so much. It's just across the road from Basil Pizza and excellent for an after pizza ice-cream or other lollies and treats. (They break up packs of Tofutti ice-creams so you can buy individual serves, and also have their own ice-cream in cones/cups).

Pros: Large selection, Plenty of treats and "junk food"
Cons: Not all vegan!
Tiggy
Tiggy

Great to have an ice cream in a cone

Posted on 02 / 04 / 2013

I've been here a couple of times before but it was only a couple of weeks ago I was in Newtown and noticed that, in addition to the array of vegan ice cream (or gelato or sorbet or whatever) flavours on offer, there was also a jar of waffle cones. I'd always been a bit suspicious about waffle cones at gelato bars, even at places that had vegan options, but finaly I could relax, buy an ice cream in a cone and go and sit on a park bench, knowing it was all vegan. (The person serving confirmed the cones were vegan.) I hadn't done that in a long time. I had a scoop each of green tea and dark chocolate sorbet and, while it melted a bit on the , it was delicious. I know this place sells other things, but my experience - and hence my rating - refers to the gelato.

Pros: Good selection of vegan gelato and cones
amaranth
amaranth

loved it!

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

Hot pies, great fridge & freezer section. And ready to eat ice cream!

Pros: ice cream , great selection
thelink
thelink

Great source to stock up on vegan products

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2010

We've been shopping at the Vegan's choice grocery for years and love it.

Just a bit of an update as things have changed a bit over the last year.

The shop stocks mostly frozen foods, some of them are home made things such as soy nuggets, spring rolls, buns etc from the 'Green Gourmet' restaurant next door.

There are also lots of 'externally' made frozen products including tofu, mock meat / seafood products, burgers and 'Funky pies'.

Until a year ago all frozen products were strictly vegan, however now some of the products contain dairy ingredients. The owner has put all the vegetarian (but non vegan products) into one area of the freezer and there is a sign on the freezer stating 'vegetarian only - not vegan'. But I have started to check the labels of every product every time I am buying it now, to make sure I don't buy something non vegan. And only last week I realized that the 'Lamyong' brand 'Crispy soy slices' now suddenly contain whey powder although they previously didn't (and the front of the packet still claims it is a 'vegan' product...)

The owner is very happy to get feed back about the products as he really wants to cater well for vegans.

There is also a fridge with yummy vegan cheeses, vegan cream cheeses and vegan sour cream (which is always sold out as soon as it appears, because it's so nice).

The shop also sells cooking sauces, dried noodles and other long life pantry items including some sweet things such as chocolate/ chocolate bars/ lollies / waffle cones.

The Vegan's choice is a treasure chest for anybody with a sweet tooth. There are several flavours of home made tofu ice cream available, and they are all extremely yummy.

There is now also an ever increasing range of 'externally' made vegan tarts / cakes / muffins / brownies. They are all soooooo delicious and many of them are even raw food, how amazing!

The 'Greenfields' Burger Bar section that opened inside the Vegan's Choice grocery about a year ago has shut down again a while ago so there is no more hot food available.

rap attack
rap attack

Food

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2010

Love the organic raw desserts and nice staff. Some frozen food which is always good if you don't have time to cook

Pros: Frozen food, Vegan, Raw cakes
Cons: Not open late enough
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

a sweet and mock meat shop

Posted on 12 / 17 / 2009

during the day the best thing is the taro soy ice cream. You can get it at night at their restaurant next, door. Its a small place so don't come expecting a ton, but they've got all the vegan items to make you never feel depraved when you switch your diet. For healthy vegans, not much!

Pros: taro soy ice cream
Cons: lots of unhealthy stuff!
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

great little shop

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2009

Since we were across the street at Basil Pizza for dinner, we came over to check it out afterwards. It's small, but had lots of frozen mock meats and soy cheeses, including Sheese and Cheezly. A one kilo Cheezly at that! Since we were on vacation, I couldn't buy it. So disappoiting for me! lol We took a couple of desserts to go, the black forest cake and a brownie. The cake was good, but not very authentic. The brownie was amazing. No one would guess it was vegan. Not sure the reviewer below and I had the same thing!

Pros: frozen mock meats, soy cheeses, desserts
Cons: small space
  • Sonja and Dirk Sonja and Dirk

Oops! Forgot to mention that they have Funky Pies too in case you can't make it out to Bondi Beach.

Petesternz
Petesternz

Now a burger bar and shop

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

This place has renovated and now has a burger bar and shop in the same location. The shop is AMAZING!!! They have everything you could ever want there, including some very hard to source products at reasonable prices. Yummy varieties of soy cheese and lots of fake meats. The resto/cafe is more of a mixed bag. They sell only four types of burgers to eat. They are not made on site, but are Smithfield burgers. I can't say I was thrilled, but it was not a bad burger. The bakery section was full of cupcakes and cheesecakes. With all the options, I may have settled on the worst of the lot - a brownie that I would not recommend.

I still think this place is VERY Worth visiting, even though my experience was not what it might have been. For shopping alone, it's worth the trip. I'd love to try the cakes more closely next time.

cimonbee
cimonbee

A must for anyone in Newtown

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2008

This really is one of the best shops you can go to for vegan food. Its mainly vegan versions of Asian food. I agree the ice cream is amazing - some really interesting flavours too like Basil and Lemon and Aduki Bean and Coconut aswell as the more conventional flavours for the less adventurous. Its not expensive and the guy who owns the shop (and I presume makes most of the food) is lovely. If you find yourself in Newtown make a point of going.

Pros: Ice Cream, Wide Choice, Restaurant next door
Cons: wide choice but mainly asian, Not expensive but not cheap, Everything is garlic free
ampallang
ampallang

Best Ice cream

Posted on 03 / 22 / 2007

This is the best Ice cream i have ever had. It's tofui ice cream and its' sugar free. The vanille and coconut are great. I've taken many meat eaters and vegan ice cream haters there and the LOVe the ice cream too. A large selection of mock meat and other vegan products, great prices.

Pros: i love there ice cream, healthy items, great prices
Cons: they open at 11am...., they should be open more

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegan's Choice Grocery: