Vegan restaurant offering food like pizza, soy BBQ rice bowl, soy meat sauce spaghetti, pizza, sweets, organic coffee. Has a English menu. A natural organic store operates on the second floor. Located near famous Fushimi shrine at 612-0029 京都市伏見区深草西浦町4丁目88. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Western, Pizza, Japanese

happycyclist
happycyclist

Yum

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2015

My vegan husband and I live in Kyoto and are always scoping out vegan friendly locations. The quality of the food here is excellent. Yummy, protein-based, all organic, outstanding. The owners used to run a full-on meaty barbecue styled restaurant before going vegan. This might explain why the soy meat donburi they made was so scrumptious! We found the price a bit steep but organic produce is expensive in Japan. They make everything from scratch, even the soy meat. The pizza was saucy and the dough crispy. There is a small organic store upstairs if you want to buy their sauces or products to take home. It is about a 10 minute walk from the famous Fushimi Inari Shrine. They have one parking space, but there is cheap all-day parking around the corner, making it a convenient place to start or end your day of sightseeing.

Pros: taste, protein, location
Vegeiko
Vegeiko

Karma-free, cruelty-free soy meat BBQ rice bowl!!

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2014

Located near famous "Memoir of Geisha" shrine, if you are staying at Kyoto, it's wise to take a cab (approx 1500 yen from JR Kyoto station) This restaurant used to be a very busy Japanese style Yakiniku BBQ beef restaurant, the business went so good so the owner decided to construct his house and maybe a puppy for his new house, then he was googling for a pet and found some articles on farm-animals cruelty that struck his mind.... Then against his family's worries, the owner had decided to change completely from BEEF restaurant to VEGAN restaurant. Amazing story!! So his former experience of real meat to soy meat shift, the BBQ teriyaki bowl blows your mind! I'd say 5 stars on Vegchelin!!!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 11, 2014

Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 11, 2014

Jessica-Chickpea
Jessica-Chickpea

Best tasting vegan food in Kyoto

Posted on 11 / 07 / 2014

This restaurant is a family run business and is about one block away from the main street on a corner. We caught a taxi here the first time to make sure we could locate it, as we've had experiences in Japan when we just could not find an address!
The staff are very friendly and speak a little English. Everything is vegan. The pizzas were absolute amazing! White cheese sauce, Boston style! They serve mock meats, curries, salads, wraps and desserts. They even have a section which is like a mini-market to buy supplies for cooking at home.
A very short walk from Fujinomori train station. Please enjoy Vegans!

Pros: Amaing food, Friendly staff, Good value

malc1972
malc1972

Vegans' Cafe And Restaraunt

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2014

Well worth the trip. Like other reviewers my vegan wife and I found it difficult to eat in Japan and so though it was worth going a little out of our way on our penultimate night in Tokyo. After reading other reviews we asked our hotel to call ahaed to make sure they were open (it was a friday night) and we werw told the kitchen would be open until 8.30pm. We took a taxi (the concierge printed a map and briefed the taxi driver) that cost around 1500 yen from the Hyatt. Don't be put off by the odd review that questions the safety of the area. It felt very safe to us. The place was empty when we got there and we were therefore a little worried but the food was excellent. We had the margherita pizza and . Both were delicious. Someone came in after us when the kitchen was supposed to be closed but they still served them. I asked the restaurant to call us a taxi to take us back to the hotel which they were happy to do. The service was great even though communication was a little difficult. The meal with organic beers cane to 4200 yen. I would really recommend this restaurant to any vegans visting tokyo.

Pros: Good Food, Good Service , Nice People
Cons: Location For Some
joeyfalconetti
joeyfalconetti

Great pizza

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

This is a lovely friendly place that serves up great vegan pizza. The staff was patient with our limited Japanese and went through the menu with us, letting us know that a good portion of the items were not currently available.
We ordered a few varieties of pizza and it was all very good. The soy cheese on the white pizza was delicious. Some of the topping were a little unusual (such as potato and corn) which we really enjoyed. We ordered what we thought was too much food, but between the great taste and the fact that there was a teenage boy with us, we managed to eat all of it.
The place is really out of the way. We were able to find it using GPS, walking from the station.

Pros: Great pizza, Friendly service, Comfortable restaurant
Cons: Far out location
AlohaEigo
AlohaEigo

Terrific pizza

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2014

There are so many reasons not to like this place.

#1 The posted hours are only rough estimations. This was my fourth attempt to visit, and I only kept trying because it is one of only two vegetarian restaurants on my train ride home. Call ahead of time to see if they are open.

#2 The location is inconvenient, unless you are visiting Fushimi Inari Daisha, a student of Ryukoku University, or like me and it is along your commute. It is along a back street and looks nothing like a cafe from the outside.

#3 It promotes pseudoscience by proudly displaying in English and Japanese everything is biochemical-free (organic), which anyone who knows me understands, this is a major pet peeve.

I really want to dissuade anyone from going to this establishment... but I can't.

They had hands-down the best pizza I have ever had in Japan. Typically, 2000円 at an Italian cafe in Japan gets you a tasteless oval-shaped cracker with ketchup-like sauce and cheese sprinkled sparingly. The crust on Vegan Cafe's soy pizza was superbly delicious, with chunks of tasty veggies. At 1500円, it was big enough to satisfy two hungry eaters.

Pros: food
Cons: Hours, Location, promotes pseudoscience
kat.ross
kat.ross

So delicious!

Posted on 02 / 13 / 2014

This restaurant is just brilliant. As well as serving delicious vegan fayre, they also sell ingredients and other things in case you want to try your hand at making your own. You can buy quite a few things that aren`t readily available in most stores in Japan, and they also have a lot of really great literature (in Japanese of course, but useful if anyone ever asks you why you`re vegan!) The staff are very friendly, and the service is really nice - a great atmosphere. We have been twice now, and have tried the margharita pizza (so nice to have vegan pizza in Japan!, the salad (such a great mix within the salad, and the dressing is especially amazing!) and the soy meat rice bowl - divine. Ok and now I`m hungry! Can`t wait to go back here.

Pros: Different size portions available, Good price - delicious food, Vegan literature available
Guest
Guest

hours

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2013

Lunch 11:30 to 15:00 and diner 17:30 to 21:30. As of October 2013. Great vegan restaurant, soft serve ice cream, friendly staff, delicious food.

Pros: soft serve ice cream, delicious
jesse
jesse

Delicious Gourmet Vegan

Posted on 08 / 26 / 2013

This place had the most delicious food. As a previous reviewer stated, the pizza is amazingly delicious! I'm not very big on pizza either - but it left me craving more.

The cafe is in a far-out neighborhood, but is well worth the journey to get there. Ask station staff at any train station how to get to Fujinomori station. Exit the station and walk west under the overpass a short distance to the main road. Make a right (north) and walk two-and-a-half fairly long blocks. Make a left and walk one block. The restaurant is on your right - across the street on the corner - and has an unassuming facade.

The cafe has a kind of 70s Berkeley feel to it - nice and healthy / enlightened. The food is excellent. The menus are Japanese with some English translation. I recommend the pizza - seriously!
Updated from previous review on Monday August 26, 2013

Updated from previous review on Monday August 26, 2013

Pros: DELICIOUS food!!, Wonderful health-food ambience, Seriously Delicious gourmet food
Cons: Far out but simple enough to find.
JesseD
JesseD

Best Vegan Restaurant in Kyoto?

Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

I didn't make it to all the vegan restaurants in Kyoto (who could?) so perhaps my title is presumptuous, but really the name says it all: this restaurant is run by a family who are passionate about promoting veganism, and this really shows up in the food they serve. They previously ran a successful Yakiniku (fried meat) restaurant, and gave up the business in favour of this vegan restaurant after learning about animal cruelty online. The menu has expanded a lot from what's describe above (HC notified) and now includes delicious pizzas and a range of international/fusion dishes, that are cooked to perfection. The setting is simple (almost looks like a converted garage) and as people have pointed out in previous reviews, it's a bit of a hike from the nearest station, but don't let that put you off: the food is absolutely amazing! The pizza was the best I've had in Japan, and the desserts (from the ice-cream machine) a little decadent but so satisfying and delicious, especially after a long hot day of temple-hopping. The owner (I think) was friendly and helpful, and prices were very reasonable for such great food. This is a must-visit while in Kyoto!

Pros: all vegan, great food!, friendly staff
Cons: a bit of a walk (but well worth it)
asham
asham

Amazing

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2013

Everything was absolutely delicious, I actually forgot to take pictures of some of the plates so good it was

Updated from previous review on Thursday July 18, 2013

Pros: Nice menu and staff , Good prices, Very nice looking dish
Cons: A little far from the city center
davidredstone
davidredstone

They fed me for free, while it was closed!

Posted on 04 / 17 / 2013

I went to Vegans Cafe and Restaurant around 4:30pm on a Wednesday. It was not difficult to find. It turns out that, like many places, they close between lunch and dinner. The front was open, so I walked in. There was only a young boy, who couldn't speak any English. He disappeared and came back with a cold pizza, and disappeared again. He gave me a printed note saying they were not open until later, but that there was a pizza, and if it was good, to eat it. I did, and the boy refused to accept any money.

I had walked about 15km that day, and was very hungry. I was really surprised that they helped me even though they were closed, and that they wouldn't accept any money!

The menu looked quite good, and the prices were reasonable. If you are visiting the Fushimi Inari Shrine, please give this restaurant your patronage!

Pros: They fed me even though they were closed, They would not accept money!
Cons: I wish they were open all afternoon!
happygoat2
happygoat2

Awesome vegan selection

Posted on 03 / 25 / 2013

I went at around 3:00pm on a Saturday. It's about a 15-20 minute walk south from Fushimi Inari. An excellent experience! It was easy to find, right on the corner and with an English sign out front. Very spacious interior. There is quite a lot of variety offered, and it's all vegan (with an English menu that makes this clear). I had a very delicious and huge bowl of vegan ramen. They also offered pizza, casserole, salad, pitas, curry/rice bowls, pasta, shakes, cake, muffins, tea, juice, and coffee. I spent a while talking to the staff and they were super friendly. Highly recommended!

Pros: All vegan, Delicious, Great variety
Cons: A bit far away from most things.
slo0go
slo0go

Closed when it was supposed to be open

Posted on 12 / 05 / 2012

I can't fairly rate this restaurant because we couldn't get there. I called a cab and the driver (who was an angel) did everything he could do find the place. The driver spoke to a restaurant proprietor closeby, he was told that the restaurant had closed for the day. It was only 8pm on a Monday! I had specifically picked this place from Happy Cow because of the late closing time. :(

I can't fairly rate the restaurant, but I was so disappointed. Be warned: call ahead!

Cons: Closed early sometimes?
fourguitars
fourguitars

Great meal!

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2012

You will have to go off the beaten path into a funky southeast Kyoto neighborhood to find this place - and then you will find that everyone's positive reviews are dead-on accurate. It's a lovely little storefront on the corner, all the food is completely vegan and delicious. They have a nice selection of pro-vegan literature and an english menu. We had a rice casserole and salads. Everything was fresh, lovingly prepared, and restorative. Well priced, too. Try the coffee, it's extraordinary.

Pros: Completely vegan, Fresh
Jessqi
Jessqi

Great side Trip from Fushimi Inari

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

We went to Fushimi Inari and had a pleasant morning wandering the mountain and then strolled to this gorgeous little place. We ordered the curry and the cold ramen. The meals were the most beautifully presented works of art I've seen and they tasted great. I also had an iced strawberry drink which was lovely. The staff are super-friendly and helpful and gave me a free vegan cookbook when I left.

Pros: Beautiful presentation, Great food, Friendly
Leasy-lou
Leasy-lou

Amazing! Highly recommended!

Posted on 06 / 06 / 2012

We had the most incredible experience at this restaurant :D After about half an hour of searching, we find it and they've closed the kitchen. But, they were so lovely that they made us two pizzas (the best vegan pizza I've ever had- my sister is a vegetarian and she said it was better than cheesy pizza). We also bought some muffins that were really yummy and healthy tasting :3 I had an amazing conversation with one of the staff members, the place has a great atmosphere and the staff are some of the nicest people I've ever met. Definitely going back before our time in Kyoto is over :) If you're into vegan food then this place is a must see for anyone visiting Kyoto.

Pros: Delicious food, Cheap, Great staff
definitelyjess
definitelyjess

Wahoo! Amazing Vegan Food!

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2012

Yes! AMAZING!
Why aren't there like, 1897289701 reviews about this place? So good. So so good.

I will admit that being vegan in Japan was challenging at times, and there is only so much 7-11 inari a girl can eat. And then there was Vegans Cafe, like a shining star, a beacon of hope, the awe of awesome.

We showed up a little after 2pm, and while it appears they sometimes close midday for a few hours, they smiled and waved us in. Sure, there was a bit of a language gap, but most of the menu was translated into English -- and everything is vegan. There were four of us eating and we each loved our meals. And shared our meals. And licked our plates. I ordered the ramen, which came in the biggest bowl ever, and it was absolutely delicious. Also ordered at the table was a curry dish (yeah!) and probably my personal favorite: the vegan pizza. WOW! As four Americans living in California with ample vegan pizza options at our front door, the last thing I expected was to be raving about the pizza from Japan. In super broken English, we discovered that they make their own cheese using mochi. Whatever, however, eat this.

Also for dessert was a delicious sundae involving soy ice cream and a vegan muffin. Don't ask; just order.

The space was bright and clean, and the bathroom was super cool (river rocks!). We combined this visit with a trip to the Inari Shrine.

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, completely vegan
lemurcat
lemurcat

Delicious

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2012

I went to a party there, they gave us a ton of food and it was all great. Especially the vegan PIZZA and vegan soft-serve vanilla ice cream (with berries). There was also lasagna. It was just excellent. Nice space too. The Fujinomori train station area was a bit confusing though.

Pros: PIZZA, ICE CREAM, LASAGNA
Cons: not such a nice neighborhood, nearest station has a confusing exit

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegans Cafe and Restaurant:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Kyoto page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/11/22