CLOSED: Vegania Restaurante

Opened in October 2012, this is an all-vegan restaurant that specializes in creating traditional Spanish food in vegan versions. JUNE 2013 CLOSED/SHUT PER ITS FB. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Spanish, Western
Calle Amnistia 6
Madrid, Spain 28013
0034-910824213

Open Sun-Tue, Thur 13.00-16.00, Fri-Sat 13.00-23.30.

First Review by mane lopez
reseth79
reseth79

Highly reccomended

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2013

Great food and great price ( Saturdays and Sundays - 12 Euros set menu not including drinks but they offer filtered tap water). I am vegan but tend to avoid meat an cheese substitutes. This time, I must say, I was nicely surprised to taste delicious fake meatballs. Even the person who came with me, who is not even vegan nor vegetarian, enjoyed every dish. I will definitely come back but I will do so on a weekday, when the set menu costs 9.50 Euros (drink included)

They advised me to book because it can get pretty full during the week and told me they close on Wednesdays. I have been reading the other reviews and there seems to be some problems when it comes to finding Vegania open. Maybe it is best to always make a reservation, just in case.

The staff were also really friendly and helpful.

Pros: Great central location, Reasonable price, Great service
Cons: No whole foods
Daveggie
Daveggie

Great place

4 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

Very nice, English speaking and great pricing. They offer a $9.50 euro 3 course lunch with 3 choices for each course. Food was delicious and vegan. Go here. Oh and they also sell a small variety of dry and frozen foods like seitan and tofu which aren't easy to find here!!

Pros: all veg, nice restaurant , good pricing
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Arrived hungry, left full. All OK.

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2013

I appreciated that I could eat anything here and loved that it was clear that this place was run by people that were animal righters (but it's not in your face if you're worried about that).

The setting is fresh and clean. I was hoping for food that was a little more dazzling but nonetheless everything tasted good and I left full. The price is right too.

Pros: All vegan, Near the middle of town, Friendly staff
earthville
earthville

Good food, flaky hours

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2013

Vegania's food and ambience were quite pleasant, and the service was warm and relaxed.

Like other reviewers, i had to come more than once (during posted opening hours) before i had the good fortune of finding them actually open. So, yes, calling ahead is recommendable.

Pros: All vegan, Relaxed atmosphere
Cons: Not always open during posted hours
Caryne
Caryne

Tasty vegan food, cheap with good size portions

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2013

We ate twice here on a short stay in Madrid, the price was 12 euros for Sunday lunch plus the cost of the drink and 9.50 euros for a weekday lunch which was three courses and a glass of wine/water/beer or tea. This is amazing value, especially when the food is so tasty and the portions are a good size. There are some people complaining here that they serve fried food and non-wholefood items but this is a restaurant that is vegan for the animals not for some health fad, note the photos of saved farm animals on the wall. I became vegan to save animals and though I eat healthily most of the time I have no problem with being served chips/fries or white rice in a restaurant. This is the sort of place I want to eat, not somewhere that serves salad with everything whether it goes or not. To those moaning please remember there are many vegans who just don't want to eat dead animals and their by-products, they enjoy good, hearty food as long as it is vegan.
Anyway, the food we had was great, the starters were huge, I had risotto one day and a lentil stew the other and both came with lots of bread. For my main, one day I had a 'tasting plate' which had a bit of everything on it (including some lovely kebabs) and the other day I had meatballs with chips (fries) that was equally delicious. My husband had a carrot burger which he really enjoyed, also with chips. The choices are quite limited, both days there were three starters, three mains and a couple of desserts and on both days we both opted for the 'flan' for dessert. In the UK a flan is a kind of open pie but here it is more like 'Creme Caramel' so it came as a surprise when it arrived but it was really delicious so it wasn't a problem.
Overall I cannot recommend this place enough for vegans when in Madrid, it's very easy to find (just around the corner from Opera), it's clean and bright, has very friendly staff and great food. What more could you want?

Pros: All vegan, Cheap, Very friendly
Cons: Limited Menu, Can get busy
justingross
justingross

We tried to go...

2 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2013

Yesterday, we went to give Vegania a try. We arrived at 12.40 which was 20 minutes before their posted opening time of 13.00. We walked around the beautiful neighborhood and arrived back at Vegania at 1.15. We were told they were not ready for service yet. So we decided to just go to another veg place to eat. We made a note of their closing time which was posted as 23.00. We figured we would just come back for dinner. So after a day of being tourists, we were very hungry and made our way back to Vegania. It was around 19.30 when we arrived and we were told they were done serving dinner for the evening and they turned us away. There was no sign on the door stating they were closing early.
If you plan on going, I suggest you call first to see what their plans for service are.

We were bummed and will be in Madrid for a few more days but we will skip Vegania after being turned away twice.

Markus_jahl
Markus_jahl

why not ;-))

3 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2013

I have had the daily menu, that was a Russian salad (great job on that ;-)) perfectly spiced, good consistent), as second the meat balls (soy) with fries. The meat balls tasted like the were not handmade (not sure even if that was intended but so usually in vegan restaurants). The fries were sucked in the sauce of the vegetable meatballs and not that many. (Without the basket of ( white :-/ ) bread I would have been hungry ;-)) as desert u have had the cake with chocolate toping, tastes quite good, nothing special about it. In the end a good stop to eat vegan, not so healthy as it could be but perfect for 12€. And the owner is really nice and helped me lot to translate the dishes.

Pros: price, quick, charming
Veganoh
Veganoh

Great!

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2013

This is my favorite restaurant. Great food and price!

Is has a small shop with some vegan products.

Pros: Food, Price, Location
cincorobles
cincorobles

Nice Place Good Meal

4 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

An easy find in a great location, the restaurant has a classy feel with moderate prices. We had the daily menu which included a delicious vegan paella, the best we've had in Spain. It was an enjoyable meal in a relaxed and nice environment. We recommend it very much.

Pros: Nice Place, Tasty Food, Good Selections
bobbyrudy
bobbyrudy

noting amazing

3 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2013

i had a plate of veggie paella, which was delicious and in abundance, however, the rice was not brown, which i find annoying in vegan restaurants. my second plate was seitan with black pepper sauce, but instead accompanied by some lettuce, i'we got french fries. if i wanted to eat something fried, moreover a potato i would not come in vegan rest. i did not stay for dessert, was to disappointing.

Pros: tidy place, quiet, has a little shop if you need something
Cons: more healthy food on menu, small portions of tea
fpero
fpero

amazing place to eat vegan

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

There's a reason why this Vegania place is #1 in the HappyCow list for Madrid. The food is excellent, delicate ... both adjectives applicable to the service as well. And you don't leave hungry. The staff is so kind: we first asked for some information on the wine we were about to choose, and they brought us a glass to taste it - amazing organic red wine, by the way. We then ordered one dessert and they brought us another (different and equally delicious) one. The place is very nice, in a peaceful calle. As long as I live in Madrid, I'll go there at least once a week!

Fer
Fer

The only full vegan restaurant in Madrid

5 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2013

Small and familar restaurant with full vegan Spanish traditional food. Only serves day menu with three options by course. Good price for correct quantities and quality. Friendly service. Credit cards accepted. Near to center (Opera).

Pros: Full vegan, Price, Traditional food
Hstryk
Hstryk

great food for a great value

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

We've tried a few veg places in Madrid and we enjoyed Vegania the most. We went twice during our stay. On our first visit we were given "meatballs" as a small starter. They were a nice surprise & quite good. For our starter we ordered the vegetable soup and it was exactly what we wanted on a cold, gray January afternoon. It was delicious & picked up our spirits (we built up quite a hunger walking around Madrid). On our second visit I ordered pumpkin soup and my partner ordered the lentil soup - these were also delicious. On both days we ordered the seitan meal available that day. Both meals were quite good & very flavorful, but the fries that came with both meals were a tad too greasy. The desserts at Vegania are also very good. First visit I had the flan, second visit we both had a cake with a dark chocolate drizzle. Desserts aren't overly sweet - and the portions are quite big.

Overall the portions & flavor for a meal at Vegania are well worth the price - under €10 (during lunch) for a soup, main meal & dessert - you do not leave hungry!!

The waitstaff are pleasant & on the second visit the waiter had written the menu in English. This was really nice of them & we appreciated the effort. If you're in the Opera area, I highly recommend Vegania.

anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Lovely place

4 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2012

With a nice atmosphere and friendly staff, this restaurant offers a very enjoyable experience. The menu del dia is good value and tasty - I had a salad, rice with mushrooms, and a tasty mousse for desert. Yum!

Pros: Good value, tasty food
Cons: Some more gluten-free options would be good
flormadel
flormadel

Amazing

5 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2012

I had dinner at Vegania last night and it was incredible! I went with a non-veg friend and she really liked it as well. It has been--by far--the best veg restaurant I have been to in Madrid. It has a quaint atmosphere, and you can also buy veg products as well (for better prices than in other stores around). The staff was friendly, helpful, and the prices were fair (9.50 euro for lunch, 12 for dinner for a 3 course menu). They had 3 different choices for appetizers, 3 for main courses. The portions were huge and everything was delicious. The menu changes daily and I will for sure come back many times!

Pros: creative menu, cheap, large portions
Cons: set 3 course menu
ranbarth
ranbarth

Tasty basic food

4 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2012

I've eaten here once on my trip to Madrid (I try to cover as many vegan places as I can) and enjoyed the food.
The place serves simple basic food which is using meat replacements like Seitan and Soy protein.
The food was tasty and the service was very friendly.
The prices were very reasonable and for 12 EURO I got a (rather small) three course meal.

Pros: Tasty, Service, Price
Cons: No sofistication, Meat replacements
Vin
Vin

Too full to think of catchy title. . .

5 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2012

I had a great meal here today. It was a three course meal with generous portion sizes. I am completely impressed with my meal. The vegan omelet was amazing.

Pros: good portion sizes, great food, friendly staff
Cons: hard to tell if open at first
elninolisto
elninolisto

Friendly and helpful staff and an excellent menu

5 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2012

A very nice little restaurant. The staff was very helpful cause our spanish wasn`t too good. The menu was excellent, starters, (we had:) paella with seitan, potatoes with eggplant or tofu and we got a sample from every dessert they had. We got a free bottle of water to the meal and they have two big fridges with vegan stuff to buy, like vegan cheese, soy milk, vegan meat etc... The price was more than fair. Absolutely recommended.

Pros: Very friendly staff, excellent food, fair prices
JavierAlonsoGonzalez
JavierAlonsoGonzalez

caldereta y cordón bleu

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2012

hoy he comido allí y la verdad estaba todo muy bueno, el personal es agradable, y el sitio también, me he quedado con ganas de volver

Pros: la comida, el ambiente, cuenta con productos a la venta
mane lopez
mane lopez

Spanish Food ( Cruelty Free )

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2012

If you are vegan and spending some days in Madrid, now you have the oportunity to taste traditional Spanish food but 100% cruelty free.
Nice food, charming place on a fantastic location.
Updated from previous review on Thursday October 11, 2012

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Vegania Restaurante: