Traditional Brazilian food made vegan and healthier. Has in-house-made vegan ice cream. Clean space. A 25-minute walk from the Botafogo metro station. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Brazilian, Western
Rua Voluntários da Pátria, 402 B (Botafogo neighborhood)
Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Vegtravel4
Vegtravel4

A little bland

Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

Yes, vegans strive to maintain good health, but we can also use some tasty treats now and then. :) For me, this place is a bit too much on the healthy side. The day's offerings (a tofu quiche and feijoada) tasted bland to me and my fiancé. I realize we come from the US where food is more spiced, but the meals were plain and seemed to be very health-conscious. On the other hand, if your options are either this or an omni place in Rio, I'd definitely go here, as it can be tough to explain your diet to unbeknownst Cariocas. :) It was also a very small portion for the price. If you're looking for vegan in Botafogo, head to Refeitorio Organico!

Pros: You don't need to explain what vegan is :)
Cons: Price is a bit steep, Bland flavors
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Nice vegan food with a very health-conscious feel

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

I had an excellent lunch here today, particularly enjoying the chickpea roulade stuffed with broccoli and almond sauce. I also felt that it was pretty good value for the portion size and quality of food, especially in Rio de Janeiro. However, I did think that, for the soup and the main course at least, the healthy food focus was taken a little too far and some of the food was a little bland. However, the chocolate mousse dessert was excellent and made up for almost everything.

Pros: Amazing dessert, Good value and quality food, Friendly and helpful staff
Cons: Starter and main course a little bland
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Nice space, but average food

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

If you are in the area and hungry this place could be ok for lunch. We personally can't see why you want to eat here when an all-you-can-eat organic buffet is in the same area though.

The ambience here is nice - very light and airy, in a space that feels like a renovated train carriage (but isn't). It's tastefully done out.

Service is all in Portugese. Menu is a choice of A plate or B plate. We ordered both and both were quite average but ok I guess. Lots of cooked food and beans, if that's your thing. Taste profiles reminded me of what was on the dinner plate when I was young in Australia.. which is not a compliment really ;)

In a city with so many organic options we were caught a bit off our guard when we noticed the soy sauce provided contained MSG. Health is obviously not of the highest priority here, but you can kind of tell that from the balance of the food offered anyway. Not terrible, just not optimal in terms of greens/veges/raw inclusions.

We probably won't be back.
Updated from previous review on Monday January 07, 2013

Pros: cheap, nice ambience, quick
Cons: not organic or MSG free, not so balanced, limited options

itsmeagain
itsmeagain

WONDROUS CUISINE

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2010

Great food, clean place, friendly staff, vegan icecream with ginger..home made too..love it...

Pros: great choice, tasty, healthy
jillian
jillian

i have no idea what i ate, but it was delicious

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2010

This place is fantastic for traditional brazilian food made vegan. It is located on a tree lined street and is populated with friendly, smiling people. However, not one of these people speak a word of english or spanish (nor, we found, will knowing spanish help you translate the menu...), so be ready to communicate with hand signals and get something unexpected.

Luckily, everything ate was very good (and with a name like "Vegan Vegan," you can feel pretty confident that everything is, well, vegan). We went on a weekend and got one of each "plato del dia" options. Each was basically composed of a salad (either sprouts or collards), a main dish (either beans with tofu or some tortilla thing) and brown rice.

The deserts are all beautiful and taste amazing. Probably the highlight of the meal!

Make sure to be in a walking mood because this place is a 20 to 25 minute walk from the Botafogo metro stop.

Pros: all vegan , traditional , awesome name
Cons: hard to communicate , pretty far from metro
ieve
ieve

good brazilian food, friendly staff

Posted on 10 / 12 / 2009

The staff was very nice. It seems to be a true vegan place for the best reasons. Most places in Rio seem to be vegan or vegetarian just because it's healthy.
The food was good, but nothing to write home about.

Pros: vegan, friendly staff
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Ieve, I liked your review. It is tough to find great vegan food in Brazil I think, so settling for just ok will have to do.

missyjane
missyjane

great place to get vegan Brazilian food

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2009

As a vegan activist, how could I not check out a restaurant with this name? It was a very quaint little spot to have lunch. Most of all, I was thrilled to be able to try the Brazilian specialty, feijoada, a smoky rice and beans dish, sprinkled with ground manioc and served with greens. My husband had the only other meal option (you choose between two meals, and you choose between two portion sizes), which was a sort of tropicalized stroganoff. While it didn't taste like any stroganoff I've ever had, it was pleasant,and it had manioc chunks, which were mmm-mmm good. For dessert we chose two banana dishes: one in a cup with dates, and one in a cake form, with cashews. All in all, a welcome, satisfying, and, most importantly, Brazilian vegan meal.

Pros: Brazilian food!, tasty, healthy
Cons: staff speaks no English
philjdomm
philjdomm

i think this was it...AWESOME

Posted on 04 / 10 / 2007

sooo yummy. never thought a meat-eating brazil can leave little space for us vegans! the staff were soo nice due to our language barrier he took me to the back and showed me their cooking. he offered a cooking lesson!

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegan Vegan: