Offers a varied range of meals, from veggie sushi and rice to salads, wraps, sandwiches, and vegan cheese steak. Non-alcoholic beverages. Free wi-fi. Previously named Loving Hut. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Asian, Catering, Delivery, Take-out

s144799

Ok food

Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

Food was just ok.

Cons: Food just ok
Julie R
Julie R

EXCELLENT FOOD - FRIENDLY SERVICE

Posted on 11 / 01 / 2013

We were driving up South Street looking for a a parking spot and, luckily, found one right in front of this restaurant.

I had an amazing vegan meal here! The 2 people working (the owners, I think) were sooo nice and friendly to us. The inside was clean and cute and very welcoming.

We started with some "chicken" nuggets. They were fantastic. Then we both had the same meal, the "chicken" sandwich. It was a very hearty meal – and delicious. The restaurant is super clean - I loved every second there!

Pros: Good food, Clean, nice atmosphere, Friendly service
lovebeingaveg
lovebeingaveg

Incredible first experience!

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2013

Went for my first visit on Thursday (7/25/13) and absolutely loved everything! I had the Avocado Summer rolls which were incredible! And the Garlic Sauce Creamy Pasta which was delicious!! I had read some other reviews on here about small portion sizes but couldn't agree less after this visit! You get 9 pieces with the sushi and a large entree I thought! Cannot wait to return!!

Pros: Delicious , Quick takeout, Good prices

lfusfeld
lfusfeld

Shockingly rude, mediocre food

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2013

There are a few decent options here. Better vegan food is around the corner at blackbird. But I tried to go get the one thing I liked, summer rolls, to go. The restaurant had a sign saying closed until 8 for a private party. Since it was nearly 9, I tried to call to ask if I could get something to go, and the employee picked up the phone while looking at me and hung it up very rudely. I'm really disappointed in being treated that way.

Pros: Vegan, Inexpensive
Cons: Bad service, Small portions, Hit or miss with what's good
VeganLin
VeganLin

Disappointing

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2013

I came here with a group of people and was disappointed in the menu. I found the menu to be a strange grouping of items. They were out of a number of things on the menu when we visited. I ordered the sushi which was not bad, but was very salty tasting. Of course it was dipped in soy sauce so that added to the sodium taste. I also had the summer rolls which were just ok. Plus there was not enough dipping sauce for them. although the sauce was tasty. The small staff is very friendly. My friend's smoothie was very tasty so I might return for a smoothie if I'm on South Street. But I would eat elsewhere.

Pros: Smoothies, Friendly service
Cons: Food selection, Food quality
Carrot_Stick
Carrot_Stick

Nice Joint :-)

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2012

I ate here today for lunch. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I had the chickpea soup served in a heart-shaped bowl and the lo mien with seitan. The food and the serve were great. The atmosphere is that of a small bistro with perhaps only 4 or 5 small tables.

Pros: good food, good value, friendly staff
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Vegan Tree

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2012

I really liked this place, but not a huge fan of one thing I ordered.

The spring rolls were amazing, let me repeat, AMAZING! But for my entrée I ordered the vegan cheese steak. It was strange. Let me explain... The seitan was cooked well, but the sauce covering it (and there was a lot of it) tasted of cinnamon and ginger, such a strange taste. My bf commented that it smelled like cinnabuns - too bad I ordered it to go because I would have asked for something else.

Just one off putting thing. I heard them microwaving food...you can hear the "ding" when you're food is ready.

• Keiayra Keiayra

(Pssst. Blackbird makes a good, uncinnamony vegan cheesesteak. :D)

• Keiayra Keiayra

I personally like the vegan cheese steak there, because of the cinnamon taste! I feel like its different, and a pleasant change from the norm that I'm used to.

A lot of the foods at the Vegan Tree are from the previous "Loving Hut" Loving Hut is like, one of them growing Vegan chains. Their food takes a LONG time to prepare, and it has to be on point with timing. They all spend all day prepping. Which is common if you prepare vegan meals at home. I asked, and I got an honest answer about the "Ding!"

And yes, the spring rolls are BANNNNGGGINNN'

kmariel
kmariel

Scrumptious Cuisine!

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

To say this place is amazing is an understatement! The staff are very friendly and accommodating. Food is out of this world! The Health Rice, Vegan Cheese Steak, and Pizza (to name a few) are delicious! Can't wait to go back to try more!! :)

MelLide
MelLide

EXCELLENT!!

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2012

We enjoyed our second visit yesterday afternoon.Place is very clean and server was again very helpful in candidly answering questions about ingredients and recipes.The "cheesy rice" was particularly good. We rarely eat desserts but enjoyed the carrot cake we shared the first visit and cheesecake shared yesterday. Will definitely go back soon.

Pros: Clean, Fair portions, Good variety
Cons: A little small
Keiayra
Keiayra

The Best

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2012

Amazing customer service, and very very kind. The owners are amazing. This place brings me zen, and their menu selection is fantastic. Best Peppermint tea in the city. Love their Healthy Rice! Special Avocado Rolls are PERFECT!

Pros: excellent food, GREAT value , AMAZING staff
ashleyrust
ashleyrust

great place

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2012

Walking down the street, I see a sign with "vegan" written on it, so of course, I'm very excited. My friends were willing to go in with me, and we loved it. There was a wide variety of items and everything we tried was delicious. I would recommend this place to vegans and non-vegans alike!

Pros: well-priced, good service, happy tastebuds
AmberSonshine
AmberSonshine

Extra Sugar and Salt Please

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2012

I tried Vegan Tree 3 times. Probablt to the fault of my own each time I went expecting something different, I got nothing but a barrel of salt and sugar. I asked if the entrees had sugar because it tasted so awfully sweet and I was told that every one of them has sugar in it! I mean I know sugar is not non-vegan but some of us still want to be healthy. By the third time I def had enough and had to throw my food in the garbage for fear of possible high blood pressure, weight gain, and dibaetes. Afterwards I literally drank a gallon of water and went to the gym for 2 hours. PS- The desserts have less sugar than the entrees but were dry as the desert.

nardanddee
nardanddee

Absolutely love this place!

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

I attempted to eat here once before but didn't realize that they weren't open every weekday. However, I'm so glad that I tried again. I had the fried broccoli for an appetizer and the 'joy fried rice' for an entree. Both were delicious! There is a great variety of things that you can order and the staff was very friendly and attentive. I will be returning here on my next trip to Philly.

Pros: good variety, tasty food, lots of street parking
Cons: don't deliver out to the airport area

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegan Tree: