Menu features vegetarian Thai cuisine from appetizers, soups, salads, currys, rice and noodle dishes to wraps, veggieburgers, beverages, and desserts; brown rice served. Moderate size setting, casual decor. Accept credit cards with minimum $15 purchase. Valet parking onsite for dine-in only. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Thai, American, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by VeggieHeather

My favorite in Studio City

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

There are actually quite a few veg places in Studio City now but Vegan Plate is my fave by far. Attentive, friendly staff, quick turnaround and consistently fabulous food. Tried the Singapore noodles last time I was in and while it's a dish I have become accustomed to eating with narrow noodles, they served it with very wide, nearly "leafy" noodles and it was phenomenal. Cowboy burgers, soups, salads, orange "chicken" and others keep my omni kids asking to come back. Reasonable prices and a close jaunt make it easy for me to comply. The lot is valet but there is usually decent street parking a short walk away.
Updated from previous review on Friday June 20, 2014

Pros: Pure deliciousness, Great Staff, Fairly Priced Food
Cons: could use more parking

Totally worth it!

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2014

I've probably not been here for 4-5 years and I think that there must have been a significant change in that time as one picky thing I have about places like Bulan and and Green Leaves is their dry, non-attentive approach to very non-Thai tasting Vegan (or in the case of Green Leaves: Vegetarian) Thai Food.

I suppose I had Vegan Plate in that category until very recently. Now, I'd put them up there alongside any 'authentic Thai dining experiences' in Thaitown L.A. or Chaing Mai & Bangkok. But they (Vegan Plate) are properly Vegan.

This is a real value to those who appreciate True Vegan dining + authentic Thai cooking. As far as I've experienced, Vegan Plate is the only restaurant that achieves both of these aims.

Pros: Authentic Thai Taste, Friendly helpful staff, new dishes/variety fairly often
Cons: Parking, only one location

Good food

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

Great place that is near my work and delivers! Cowboy burger is da bomb - great garlicky flavor. The veggie burger is not for me though - not great texture. Everything else I've ever tried here is great. The chocolate cake is very moist and yummy - has more of a pudding frosting rather than traditional frosting but still tastes great.

Pros: Good food, Delivers

Not worth it

2 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

First, the valet parking in a normal strip shopping center is very weird, and if I had known about that, we wouldn't have gone. We were the only ones in the restaurant, yet the service not good or friendly. No one checked on us after being served. The place is not what I'd call clean either. We had chow mein and tofu on a skewer (forgot name) and it was just O.K. Would not keep that on my list if we ever go back to L.A.

Cons: Unfriendly service, Dingy/not clean, valet parking
  • iamjona iamjona

There're free valet parking for order of $15 and up, I know that it's a small plaza but at lunch time and dinner time the parking lot always full because of Lala's customers, I'm sorry about service, we will improve our performance beyond your expectation

Not Worth It

2 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2013

I went there a few years ago, when I was visiting my sister, and the food was so great I went back there with my sister and a friend. Also a great meal. This visit, I was very disappointed. I was taking out and it took forever, even though there were only three other people there. Two of which already had their food. Maybe it was an off day, the A/C was off, and it was sweltering hot, they had a few floor fans but the long wait was unbearable. The staff was not very friendly- maybe it was the heat- and the food was too salty and tasteless. Will cross them off my list of places to go on my next visit.

Cons: Salty Food, unfriendly wait staff

Former Fan Turns Into A Disappointed Diner

2 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

I've been to Vegan Plate countless times and I've brought many friends there, mostly non-vegan/vegetarian folks who were open to trying it based on my recommendation. I've always found the food to be satisfying and so good sometimes, I've questioned whether it was actually vegan. For instance, they served french fries to me one day that tasted EXACTLY like McDonald's fries. There happens to be a McDonald's directly across the street and my dinner companion and I joked that they just ran across the street and picked up a few bags every day and then reheated them when customers came in. (I'm not saying they did this, but... boy, it really had that same distinctive Micky D's taste!)

I was a regular customer who always had pleasant experiences with the wait staff, even coming in to pick up take out food now and again. One day when I picked up an order to go I signed off on the card as usual and even gave a cash tip. So imagine my shock when I took a look at the transaction online a week or so later and noticed they'd tacked on an additional FIVE BUCKS for themselves that I didn't authorize! (The bill was over the $15 minimum.) I suppose I could have gone back and disputed it with them, but I had already entered my receipt in Quicken and shredded it. I was so pissed I never went back. I am sad about it too because had they not ripped me off I would have given the place a great review.

P.S. - You can avoid the small parking lot and valet service entirely if you don't mind a short walk by simply parking down the street (Radford) near CBS studios.

Pros: Good vegan comfort food, Not usually that busy
Cons: Watch your credit card charges there!, How vegan, healthy, MSG free are they?
  • iamjona iamjona

I apologize for additional charge of $5 we have had no idea too what was going on? but from my experience it might be that the server might mid adjust the tips, I know it might sounds like excuse but I don't think that there're any shady people working in here, there must be some kind of mistake misunderstanding, and I guarantee that we are 100% vegan with no msg at all! I swear on my god and my pride
    Please stop by again, I believe it was some kind of error, we would never rip off any one, the owner (Cookie) she even delivery free food to regular customer who got laid off or young college student who had no money to dine in, even to homeless, there're no shady people here

I am not going to the place either.

2 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2012

I went to try this place out. It made me sick I had cramps and I had MSG. Which I am allergic too. If they put MSG in there food they should at least notify us online or on the menu. The food was good. But I couldnt take the pain much longer. Definately at least let us know what you put in the food and the parking was really bad. No ballet parking. They dont lock your cars and they cant find the cars.

Pros: food was good, taste was good
Cons: MSG , Made me sick, Had to wait for the meal

Don't waste your time or money on Vegan Plate

2 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2011

I'm always anxious to try a Vegan restaurant that's new to me, but I'm sick and tired of all those sinister Thai "vegan" restaurants that have been popping up all over L.A. that continue to "poison" us steadfast vegans by secretly using egg and dairy ingredients, so I've been very hesitant to try Vegan Plate, but I read the reviews (they're all so old!)and checked out Quarry Girl so Vegan Plate seemed to be vegan-true so I gave it a try tonight with my vegetarian-ish mom and I ended up very disappointed overall. I found the 3 entrees that we ordered expensive, small portions, and mostly tasteless. Will I return? Probably some day when I'm less value-conscious, they're one of the closest vegan restaurants to vegan-devoid Burbank, but not any time soon. My mom is 74 years old, doesn't eat much, & I'm not a big man, & the 3 entrees we ordered filled us but just barely. Between us, we spent $37 plus tip, and this seemed WAY too much money for a little hole-in-the wall (albeit pleasant) casual strip-mall restaurant. Yes, like everyone else said, the Orange chicken is out of this world delicious but is a small portion and the most expensive single item on the menu. But I am a Pad See-Eiw devotee and their version was one of the worst I've ever had: totally bland, small portion, and the seitan that they added to it was easily the worst seitan that I've ever had (grainy, porous, tasteless, loose consistency). The best Pad See-Eiw ever still remains at Arunee House in Toluca Lake (I'd sure like to find it somewhere else as good or better). The third entree we selected was Cashew Nut which is a very standard menu item on virtually all Thai menus. But the Cashew Nut at Vegan Plate was once again tasteless, had NO traditional red sauce as we expected, and the portion was so small they really should be embarrassed. It's my mom's favorite Thai dish because of the typical sauce, but at Vegan Plate she was really bummed. I've been trying to ween her off of the Cashew Nut dish that she adored at Green Leaves Restaurant Silverlake where I won't return because they AREN'T vegan (heck, they aren't even vegetarian...the whey in their foods have animal stomach (rennet)!) but they ARE purveyors of deceit if you've read all the stories on the internet about them!

Maybe I merely picked the bland menu items by happenstance, but the way i figure it, if a Thai chef can't even make good Thai recipes, how good could the other dishes be?

Won't be returning anytime soon!

Pros: Burbank-close, Vegan-True, Orange Chicken!
Cons: Expensive, Small Portions, Bland Food

Very Impressive!!

5 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2009

This has got to be the best fake meat that I have ever had. I usually eat meat bet ever since going to Vegan Plate I have not craved for meat at all. Dishes are very satisfying with right portion size and excellently tasty! It was so good me and my family ate there for a week straight. Even my 5yr old loved it. Big thumbs up for me and I'm originally from Texas a place where there's no such word as vegetarian. You might as well get drug out back and shot.

Pros: Tasty Sauces, Service
Cons: Bit Pricey, Not much parking

Good Place... ;)

4 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2009

So came here expecting just Thai food, but to my surprise they carried some other great looking options. I opted for the Cowboy Burger...yum!!! My friend got the pepper steak (and he never shut up about it for hours after eating there) with his entrée and loved it. Overall this is a good place!

The Truth

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2008

I've eaten here many times. The menu is varied, quality is good. I'd recommend the pancakes, lentil wrap, veggie burger and fries if you're into them. As noted in other reviews the wait staff is adequate. Very small parking lot and valet most times, but not all. Mostly nights and weekends. If Valet is on, then just get your ticket validated. No big deal.

Pros: Portions, Value
Cons: Staff (at times), Parking

Super Yummy - Good Prices

5 Posted on 11 / 15 / 2008

My fiance and I eat here regularly. The orange chicken is sooo yummy. We get the chicken sandwich most of the time. An order of fries is huge! The wait staff isn't the best - but it's not bad either. There are some servers who are really cute and nice. The others kind of suck, but they're not so bad that you won't return again and again. I take all of my meat-eating friends and family here to convert them (or try to at least.) I've NEVER had to wait for a table! I love this place! We're going tonight!

Pros: good prices, quick service, not busy
Cons: valet is mandatory, wait staff isn't the greatest

Pretty good

3 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2008

This place is right up the street from me, but I've only been there twice. The lentil loaf is pretty tasty, as well as the P.E.T.. My only problem is that they charge you extra to use a credit card if your meal is under $10. I find this highly annoying as someone who rarely carried cash. It's only a dollar, but it's about principle!

Pros: Reasonably priced, nice atmosphere
Cons: $10 credit card minimum

Great Vegan restaurant!

5 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2008

I ate at the Vegan Plate for the first time today. The food was REALLY tasty! My wife and I had the yellow curry, steamed curry dumplings, spicy rice noodles, a GIGANTIC portion of french-fries, and a couple of Kamut pancakes. Everything was very flavorful, to say the least. The prices are reasonable, and we even got to chat with the owner/chef who was very charming. I will definitely be going back the next time I'm in the area.

Pros: Very tasty, Great atmosphere

Vegan Plate Rules!!

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2008

Hello all! I love Vegan Plate! Excellent food, fabulous service, very healthy, and they have Thai iced tea! Yummy!!

Pros: Excellent service, Great variety , Fab food

We are lucky

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2008

to have this place so close to us. Good food, reasonable prices, good service. Especially perfect lunch menus!
I always park on the street. Ridiculous to pay for valet parking.

I drive in from East LA just to go there!

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2008

I love this place. Yes, there are quite a few vegan thai restaurants in LA - some much closer to me. But none compare to Vegan Plate. The environment, the service and the food are great. I agree with the guy a few reviews back - parking is 'eh'...but I don't mind walking either. Again, the food is awesome. Haven't had anything I don't like. My [vegan only when I cook for him] hubby even asks to go there and he loves it.

We always get the Tom Kha khai soup (extra spicy - yum) and he's hooked on the cowboy burger. I go from the lentil loaf, to the wraps to the curry...I just can't pick a favorite. I'm determined to try the rest.

This place is better than most of the other vegan thai places so give it a try!

Pros: Delicious, Comfortable/Warm Environment, Satifying meal

Great place

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2008

Just went last night.
Great place.. Excellent service. In fact, it was their 2 year anniversary and they gave everyone 20% off of their bill. That's a place that cares about their patrons.
Food is great. We got their veggie burger (really yummy and healthy) steamed dumplings (yum), veggie soup (Nice and simple) and some steamed veggies.
We are weekly regulars and everything is always good. Service is excellent.
I highly recommend it.

Pros: great services, nice selection, never too busy

Pretty Good Vegan Food

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2007

This place was pretty good. Although their fried foods make you feel heavier than that of Vegan Factory's fried foods, Vegan Plate Offers a variety of different dishes. The coconut ice cream is exceptionally great.

Pros: Creative Menu, Quick Service, Pleasant dining
Cons: fried food is heavy

Amazing food and service!

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2007

The first time I went to the Vegan Plate was during the first week they opened. The staff and owner are extremely friendly. It is a very special environment and all my friends (not just vegans) love love love the food! The minute you walk through the door you are welcomed with a genuine "hi how are you?" and great service from start to finish. I think they opened about 1 1/2 years ago (?) and I have loved them ever since. I also love about them that they deliver...I am about 5 miles away from them and I have never had an issue. I have been told by other restaurants in the past that I live too far away to deliver to and I am closer to those restaurants than I am to the Vegan Plate. Of this and many other things I am very thankful. Great Service, Friendly People, Amazing Food. That's all I need to choose my restaurants. Go check it out..

Pros: Great Food, Genuine Staff, Wonderful Service

Vegan Plate

2 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2007

I have always liked Vegan Expresses food better anyways but after the behavior of teh employees today, I doubt I will ever go there again. The service is TERRIBLE; and it is not just because they are overwhelemd, they are just rude. Not only did they screw up my order royally today but they gave me an attitude when I asked for the missing item and refused to give it to me. I'd stay away unless you want to be serioulsy irritated.

nothing spectacular, but tasty nonetheless.

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2007

though i have never dined in at vegan plate, i often order some food for take out. They have mostly thai food, with some burgers, wraps, and random sides thrown in. I have had their pad thai with soy chicken (pretty good), P.E.T. with tofu (also pretty good), spicy eggplant with tofu (decent but nice and spicy!), the lentil wrap (bland, skip it), glass noodle salad (decent), papaya salad (would have been pretty good if the tomatoes had been a bit more flavourful but i don't think that's their fault), banana spring rolls (a tasty, albeit, not very healthy dessert) the vegan smoothie (very good), and the item that keeps me coming back, the freshy rolls (really healthy, i get them every time i go and they're always delicious, and the sauce they come with is nice) Vegan plate has a good menu with a variety of options, and though i haven't been blown away by some of the stuff i've had, there's plenty of other things i can't wait to try. And though i personally am not a fan of mock meats (though i don't mind the soy chicken in the freshy rolls ) if you like them, vegan plate has a nice variety of ones to choose from. the main draw back is if you're going to dine in, parking can be difficult, though on busy nights there is valet for the strip mall.

Pros: nice staff, nice selection of dishes, take out/delivery
Cons: parking

Not that impressed

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2006

I think the Vegan Thai thing is WAY overdone in southern California. The food here, while reasonably priced, just wasn't anything spectacular. I much prefer California Vegan. My friend got a dish spiced with mint leaves, and it had bite to it, but really no flavor. I got the P.E.T., which was a creative dish with pumpkin and eggplant, which was decent.

Pros: reasonable prices, good sized portions, very friendly service
Cons: food mediocre tasting

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegan Plate: