CLOSED: Vegan Healing Cafe

Small, simple vegan cafe. Lunch set comes with a main, rice, and soup costs around 900-1000 yen. Menu is also in English. Direction: From the 1A exit of Tokyo Hands, look across the street to the Harley Davidson shop, there is a small street to the left of that, go uphill on that street for 2 small blocks (veer left at the fork), and the restaurant is past the colorful Mexican-style signage of the shop "La Historia de un Amor.". Address in Japanese 日本東京都渋谷区宇田川町6-20. There was another location but that one shut down in fall of 2012. MAY 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Japanese, Beer/Wine
6-20 Udagawa-cho, Shibuya-ku, Parashion Shibuya Bldg Ste102 (near Tokyu Hands, Shibuya Station)
Tokyo, Japan 150-0042
03-54895185

Open Tue-Sun 12:00-16:00, 17:00-21:00.

First Review by Baza
Aya
Aya

THIS PLACE IS CLOSED

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

Vegan Healing Cafe is no longer there - the place is empty and there is a note on the door that it's for sale or for rent. :(

Dear Vegan Healing Cafe, even if I didn't appreciate you while you were there - you will be greatly missed.

Cons: CLOSED
BlisterBlue
BlisterBlue

Nice small restaurant

5 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2013

The restaurant is located in a small area in the Shibuya district. It only has a few tables but you can also eat outside, on the terrace.
There is only 1 cook + 1 waiter but they're really nice and welcoming!
Menu is also in English and staff speaks a bit English as well.
We went there twice during our stay in TOKYO and the food was always delicious.
Excellent value for money as well!

Pros: Location, Staff, Food
Cons: Small
LucidDreams
LucidDreams

Yummy

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

After walking around a bit searching we finally found it. But it was worth the effort. Food was delicious. We ate a dish with tasty fried soy meat and rice.
Definitely worth going there again next time I visit Tokyo.

Pros: Tasty food, Healthy
Cons: Not very easy to find

msepel
msepel

Delicious

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2012

The meal was very tasty. The place was very small and unpretentious.
A little difficult to find as it was up a flight of steps and out of sight.

Pros: Delicious, Good Value
Cons: Difficult to find
sglcklch
sglcklch

Cool place, good food

4 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

Located just a short walk from Tokyu Hands, it was very convenient and easy to find. Menu was small and simple but the food was solid. My partner and I got the tempeh and the falafel plates for lunch. They were all yummy. We couldn't pass up the chocolate cake so ordered a slice. Oh boy was it scrumptious! The whole meal cost about JPY2500, which I thought was very reasonable for Tokyo.

The atmosphere was pretty laid-back. There were also activist posters, books, leaflets and so on everywhere. One thing I could pick on though was the ventilation. It was a little stuffy inside and, because of all the frying, the whole place had a pervasive odor of fried food. But then again that is just my pet peeve. Definitely check this place out when you happen to be around!

Pros: tasty food, reasonable price, location
Cons: ventilation
veganmiss
veganmiss

Cute Cafe

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2011

In Shibuya, there is the really awesome Vegan Healing Cafe. This is where I found my Vegan Restaurant Pocketguide book. It was my first experience with texturized soy meat. I had no idea what it was, but I liked it. I even brought some home with me because I didn't even know you could get it in America! Mmm. The owner was so nice too. She could tell just how I excited I was about her restaurant. She had vegan and animal right literature out by the cash register too (mostly PETA leaflets in English and Japanese).

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/11/vegan-tokyo.html

kat.ross
kat.ross

Lovely little cafe off Harajuku

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2011

This cafe was a great find, after a busy afternoon of wandering Harajuku. The dishes are very simple but wholesome, consisting of falafel burgers, soy meat, tempeh etc, and served with organic brown rice and pickles. In many Japanese vegetarian/vegan/organic restaurants, I've still been quite nervous until the food came out, however this cafe had signs on the front of the cash register saying clearly "no eggs, no butter, no milk", so that was reassuring. Very simple food, but great to see that veganism is alive and well in Harajuku :-)

Pros: Chilled atmosphere, Good value, Filling food
  • Third Eye Third Eye

Hi, just so theres no confusion this particular vegan healing cafe isn't in Harajuku, Im not sure if they have opened a new store in Harajuku, just this one in particular is in downtown Shibuya

Third Eye
Third Eye

Great Relaxed Vegan Cafe

5 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

First i have to say it is still open for business, we went there a few days ago, and loved it! Its down the end of a great little street lined with hippy stores in Shibuya, easy to find, google map is spot on, which is not always the case. Food was really good, staff were friendly, relaxed feel, and the owners a hardcore vegan (he also runs the Tokyo Vegetarian festival) highly recommended for anyone living in or travelling to tokyo! :)

Pros: Great tasting food, Healthy, Easy to find
Cons: none that i can think of
Shauna333
Shauna333

Lovely Cafe

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2010

I ate here pretty much every day I was in Tokyo, as it was so easy to find, good value and delicious! The directions given on here are fantastic. The Harley Davidson shop is now a bar with loads of red lights on the outside, you can't miss it. It's very easy to get to from Shibuya Station, and it's a great area to spend time in too.

Had the falafel burger which was not in a bun like I expected, but covered in a sauce and with loads of rice. I felt like the ration of burger to rice was a little out, they gave so much rice everytime! I also had (and loved) the spaghetti with bean and veg sauce. It was Y900, a bargain by Japanese standards, and gave me my Western meal fix. The cakes are delicious too, had the soy whip cake and the tofu chocolate and almond one, which was my favourite with some soy whip to go with it. The service was speedy with one lady there every time I went in, cooking, serving and doing everything herself! It was a quiet but friendly place, with reggae music playing and often business men having meetings. I really recommend it and will return when I'm next in Tokyo.

Pros: Cheap by Japanese standards, Excellent food, Easy to find
karenmar
karenmar

nice little vegan place

4 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2010

I had lunch here recently. It is in a quiet part of Shibuya. It wasn't too difficult to find using the directions that other reviewers have posted, although one referred to a Harley Davidson shop across the street from Tokyo Hands, but the Harley shop is no longer there.

I had the fried soy meat with rice and a soy hot chocolate. It was all tasty and a good find in a country that seems to add fish to everything. Service was efficient and friendly, and I was the only person seated in the cafe.

Worth a try.

Pros: good food, good service
Cons: small cafe
sarastoked
sarastoked

After a long day in Tokyo.....

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2010

I was glad to find this place. It is a bit tricky to find. Standing outside the A1 exit of Tokyu Hands, look across the street, you will see The Chelsea Hotel. To the left of those buildings is a street. Walk on that street, the road forks, stay to the left. You will pass the Mexican colorful sign and you should see the Cafe. It's not more than a 5 minute walk.

We had lunch around 2pm and no one else was in the cafe. It's a small cafe, but nice and cozy. After a long day or walking around we were glad to relax and warm up here. Menu only had 7 food items on it. My partner had the falafel burg (950 yen) and I had the Com Am Phu (950 yen). I thought both dishes were tasty. They do give a lot of brown rice, which was not an issue for me because it was delicious. Portions were good, not small by any means. For dessert we shared the Soy Whip cake, which was ok.

This is a nice vegan place in Shibuya. I don't know how many other vegan friendly spots are in the area, so we were glad to find this one.

Pros: resonably price, good portions, healthy
TAS
TAS

DECENT FOOD, CLEAN PLACE

3 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2009

the food here was okay, not bad at all just not super flavorful. The place is a little hard to find. the restaurant seemed very clean and staff was very nice. it is a very small place

Jan Hicks
Jan Hicks

Friendly service, great food

4 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2009

We visited this cafe on our first visit to Shibuya. It was a little tricky to find, but the food on offer was worth the search. We had the falafel burgers. The member of staff who served us was friendly and helfpul, and the facilities were clean. Well worth searching out if you are vegan or just trying to avoid the ubiquitous fish in Japanese cuisine.

Pros: good food, friendly staff, good value
Cons: hard to find
InJessT
InJessT

Small and friendly

4 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2009

Small all vegan restaurant. There was one man serving and cooking the few times I went so can be a bit slow. Food was good though. Nice atmosphere. Had the com am phu and fried soy meat. Also had a delicious chocolate desert. Store sold a few vegan supplies as well, I got some vege meat to take home and it was really good.

flamekat
flamekat

Friendly, laid-back cafe

4 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2009

We visited here back in April 2008. It was simple, but tasty food with brown rice. The chocolate tart was amazing and I had a yummy soymilk drink with black sesame. We also had the soy whip cake which was really good. I'd recommend getting a dallop of the soy whip on the chocolate tart to combine the best of both worlds. It'd be heaven. My husband also had a Palestinian beer that was nice. Who would've thought they brewed German style beers in Ramallah? Pretty cheap and good for a simple lunch. Check it out.

Pros: good organic food, laid-back atmosphere, good value
Cons: service was a bit slow
backpasher
backpasher

A nice simple meal

3 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2008

I visited with my mum (non veggie) a few months back. We both ordered the veggie burgers. The burgers were tasty and filling though maybe could have had a little more spice!

It's not the easiest place to find though it's very close to downtown Shibuya.

rockcita
rockcita

Good food, not so good interior

3 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

This easy to find restaurant seats 16 and has a friendly English speaking staff. We had the spaghetti and tempeh sausage, both of which were tasty. The portions were of a good size. The interior could use a fresh coat of paint, as areas of the walls that are touched a lot, are grimy. The tiny bathroom was smelly, like those in train stations.

Pros: good food, friendly English speaking staff
Cons: interior needs sprucing up, world's smallest bathroom is smelly.
cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Good, Simple

3 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2007

This was a nice little cafe. The menu was quite small and westernized but the food was delicious. I also had a hot soy-milk with black sesame which was fabulous.

The portions are normal for Tokyo (smaller) and the prices average (900 yen or so).

Directions: the directions above are good except that they fail to mention what "Tokyo Hands" is. It is a store (I was looking for a monument :) about 5 or 6 blocks away from Shibuya station and is not super easy to find. When you arive at Shibuya station, ask at the information desk where Tokyo Hands is, they should have an area-guide with a map in it and show you where Tokyo Hands is. It is to the north and east of the station near the Parco 1/2/3/4 shopping complexes. It is about 2 blocks in from a major street. From there, follow the directions above.

Pros: yummy, peaceful
Cons: small menu
Sapna
Sapna

Really great find!

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2007

I was in the area and remembered the directions (which were excellent) to the VHC and had a quiet dinner while waiting for my boyfriend. I was the only one there and frankly it's a shame. This place is really cute (a bit rustic tho) and even though the menu is small, the portions aren't. I had the Com Am Phu and it was yummy and filling. For dessert, I had the tofu almond choco tart which was nice but too rich for my taste. I will definately be back. Compared to Brown Rice Cafe which is about 15mins walk away, this place is not so trendy, expensive and not nearly so pretentious. As a result, the prices are decent. I really encourage people to support this place. They have a lot of literature from PETA and try to promote vegan culture and animal cruelty free education. I love it!! They are closed on Mondays

Pros: Good value, Big portions, Vegan desserts
Cons: A larger menu would be nice
feorag
feorag

Solid, filling food

3 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2007

The name Vegan Healing Cafe very nearly put me off visiting this place. Had I not checked out the menu on the website, I would have expected the kind of worthy but tedious food that gives vegetarianism a bad name, coupled with an overbearing new-agey atmosphere.

Fortunately, it's nothing like the sort of establishment the name suggests. It's really just a tiny, basic vegan cafe with a short menu of filling food, all served with brown rice.

The menu is bilingual, Japanese and English, but the staff are not necessarily so.

I opted for the Com An Phu, a Vietnamese-style stew, and my partner, predictably, went for the fried mock meat on rice. We also both tried the black sesame and toasted soya flour drink, because it was there.

We left well fed.

Pros: good, filling food, Not as bad as the name implies
Cons: Note down a copy of the directions to th
Guest
Guest

A simple healing meal

4 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2007

I've actually just returned from a dinner at the Vegan Healing Cafe after I stumbled upon it while walking around Shibuya. It was indeed a nice shift from the traditional japanese fare. I enjoyed brown rice with bean soup, it was simple and delicious. It was quiet tonight and it was very peaceful to sit at the only table on the outside, on a quiet street with a colorful painted mural opposite the restraunt. The service was great and very personable. I plan to go back.

Pros: Moderate price, Great simple taste, Good relaxing atmosphere
Cons: This is nitpicking but a, larger menu would be nice
KelseyApple
KelseyApple

Everything was good but the air!!

4 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2006

I visited this restaurant today and it seems to have been the only vegan restaurant in Tokyo not closed for the whole week due to the holiday. I have to say that the directions on this site were very good. I had mixed juice (organic orange, apple, and grapefruit) 520 yen, Com Am Phu (Vietnamese style fried brown rice) 900 yen, and the soy whip cake 480 yen. Everything was delicious and the portions were very generous. It is a tiny cafe with only 5 two-seater tables but it wasn't a problem today as I was the only one there. The only complaint I have is that the waiter was smoking before I came in and it was the first thing that hit me when I walked in the door. The air never cleared at all over the hour I was there and I ended up getting a headache from it. For a place called Vegan HEALING they should have a little more concern for health!

Pros: good food, good dessert, good value
Cons: air quality
Baza
Baza

I'm happy

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2006

Great to see 'Vegan' on a sign in Tokyo for the first time. Lots of leaflets and magazines promoting vegan/vegetarian lifestyles.
The curry set was tasty and the service was great.

Pros: Simple/clean interior, Brown rice
Cons: Limited options, Tiny soup(1 big mouthful)

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Vegan Healing Cafe: