CLOSED: Vegan Express

Small vegetarian fast food cafe that serves a mix of Thai and western style food. Probably one of the very first Thai vegetarian restaurants in Los Angeles area. Note: some soy products might or might not contain whey - ask. AUG 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN AND REPLACED BY "VEGGIE HOUSE." Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Fast food, Thai, American, Take-out
3217 Cahuenga Blvd West (Barham, near Universal Studios)
Los Angeles, California 90068
323-851-8837

Open Sun-Thur 11am-9pm, Fri-Sat 11am-10pm.

First Review by happy.veggies
BobP
BobP

Funky

3 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

If you overlook the bathroom and the "B" rating by the health department and the TV that I wouldn't be under in an earthquake, it's not too bad. Only tried the "meat" loaf and the yellow curry soup. Looks like it's family run and the veggies were fresh and not overly cooked. Soup was a little tame but liked the meat loaf. Brown rice was very good. Give youself 10 points for finding the parking area that's only big enough for 4 cars (double parked) in the alley behind the restaurant.

Pros: Good steamed veggies, friendly service, family owned
Cons: they need to sink some $$ into paint
AnnFromIllinois
AnnFromIllinois

Great little spot

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2011

The restaurant itself is small and nothing fancy, but the food and service are excellent! It's located next door to a Holiday Inn Express and we went there with two kids who were skeptical about vegan food. Between us four we had See Me Noodles, fish wrap, red curry, cowboy dinner, grilled potatoes, and spring rolls. All received great reviews from everyone. Oh, and the Thai ice tea and fruit smoothies were great too. This isn't the place for a fancy dinner, but it is a place for a great meal (or take-out)
Updated from previous review on Monday August 15, 2011

Pros: So many choices, Flavor, Service
Cons: Small, Lacking charming ambiance
bignameactress
bignameactress

Fantastic Vegan Thai

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2011

When I lived in LA, every time I passed by, I felt sorry for this little shack of a restaurant until my friend insisted I try it one day. I then ate there at least once a month until I left LA, I loved it so much.

The mock meat breaded chicken patties are to-die-for. Especially when you ask for the sweet/hot sauce that has a maple syrup base. Coupling the patties with the pad thai is divine!

This is always on my list when I come to LA.

Pros: great food, nice seating out back, friendly staff
Cons: difficult parking sometimes

ronitw
ronitw

Great food, friendly staff

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2011

We often eat here, attracted by the food and the friendliness. Weather permitting, we sit in the back outside balcony. Mystery stir fry, Thai salad, spring rolls are highly recommended! Great selection.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 02, 2011

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Good

3 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2009

We never tried Vegan Express until we moved near it last Fall. We've had take-out a couple of times and while it was good, it was nothing special, just the usual vegan Thai. It's good for take-out as the place is really small and parking is bad.

Pros: good for take-out
Cons: parking
marla5575
marla5575

One of my faves

4 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2007

I love this place! When I crave Thai food, this is the only place I trust that there won't be fish sauce. But if you're looking for great Thai, you won't get it here. What you will get is no fish sauce and wonderful vegetarian soups. The pad thai can be a little rubbery and the curry is a little bland, but the coconut milk-based soups are fabulous. I also love the soy chicken wraps - out of this world! The pancakes are pretty good but have that distinct soy taste. The tofu scramble is good.

Pros: price, vegan thai
Cons: parking, not great thai
happy.veggies
happy.veggies

awesome food

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2007

The place is very small but cozy and the staff is extremely nice and helpful. It's actually kind of a thai-vegan restaurant so you get a mix of asian vegan as well as american. Their "chicken" nuggets are good and so is their glass noodle dish. It's a little far from where I live but I try to go there every time I'm in the Hollywood area. I'd recommend this place to anyone =)

Pros: Excellent food, nice staff, cheap prices

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Vegan Express: