Vegan bakery with its own storefront in the Upper East Side NYC, opened in August 2012. Offers a varied range of baked sweets from vegan donuts to vegan cakes and pastries; plus coffee drinks. more-less

First Review by PennsyltuckyVeggie
cookiem
cookiem

Happy vegan choices but not all are delectable

3 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2014

A vegan bakery??!!! Why haven't I heard more about this place? Is it a secret because it's in the UES? I want one of everything! Check that - after ordering over several saliva tingly delicious looking choices, I was saddened. Places like this are for vegans and health conscious (mental, moral or dietary) folks. Those who want a good of fashions baked good will be disappointed. Sorry to say it, too.

The good part is that at least it's relatively healthy? There are tasty choices here, but the cookies and brownies are not what I would buy again. The coconut macaroons or coconut based tarts - delectable delights!!! The almond milk latte- yes! The smooth tofu or nut based mousses- quite tasty! The cake.... Slightly too grainy and crumbly. The donuts- I didn't even try them because they are not donuts if they are not fried. Just because they are in shape with a hole in the middle, such shape does not justify naming the concoction a donut. Call then baked muffins with holes- cause that's what they really look like and will taste like.

I like what they aim to achieve, but I want them to be more successful for the sake of vegans! So, just be careful of some more traditionally flour-based baked goods... They will be somewhat disappointing if compared to standard expectations.

Pros: All vegan!!, Almond milk latte!, Mousses and coconut macaroons!
Cons: Flour-based baked goods
Babette
Babette

Amazing chocolate mousse

3 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2014

I went there because I was visiting NYC and was in the area, but I wasn't really hungry... anyway, the desserts displayed didn't appeal to me much, for that reason maybe, but the employee was nice, and I chose the chocolat mousse to go. This mousse is reason enough to go back to Vegan Divas. It is heavenly.

PennsyltuckyVeggie
PennsyltuckyVeggie

Left without Purchase :(

2 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2013

Vegan, yes. Divas? Sadly my experience affirms the less pleasant of the 2 definitions of the word.

We sought out this cute location because they serve vegan baked goods on UES. Full from eating at The Green Bean Cafe, I didn't think anything could tempt me to enter but the large permanent purple menu on the exterior had everyone in my group wanting to try a little something.

I scanned the case of tidy baked goods for the menu item that had caught my attention but could not see it. "Tell me about your Spicy Doughnuts," I asked the young woman behind the counter. "We don't HAVE them," she told me in an exasperated tone as she sat into one hip,"We have NEVER had them as long as I have been here." She seemed annoyed at me for asking about them but I explained they were on the menu. "The menu is wrong," she defended.

I suggested maybe a little piece of tape over the doughnut flavor they don't make but as it turns out the menu was wrong in many ways, the Chili-kissed Oatmeal Raisin Cookies my husband was interested in were also not made and many of the prices were wrong. Confused, we reached for a paper, take-out style menu from a pile on the table and she snapped, "That menu is wrong too."

She didn't try to suggest any baked good that was similar nor tempt us with something that was popular. Not being hungry, I wasn't compelled to study everything in the case to find something so we all left without tasting a bite of anything.

Diva as "a woman of outstanding talent" or "a bitchy woman that must have her way exactly, or no way at all. often rude", I am afraid I have to label this vegan bakery with the latter.

Pros: clean, nice presentation
Cons: terrible customer service, misleading signage, even more pricey than listed

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegan Divas Bakery: