Vegan bakery specializing in Danish baked goods like spandour, kransekage, and marzipan. Also makes other vegan items like chocolate jams, pate, and burger patties and a few savory meal items for take home. Opened since Feb 2010. more-less

First Review by Ken4057
veggiewoman
veggiewoman

Good food, could use more selection

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

I live very close to the Vegan Danish Bakery, but have only been 2 or 3 times. And I am probably one of few vegans in Thornhill! The reason I do not go often is that the selection has gone downhill. There is not very much to choose from in terms of variety. There are lots of beautiful cakes and cupcakes, but not enough in terms of other items (don't get me wrong, there some other items - danishes, cinnamon rolls, and if memory serves me right they have biscotti). It would be nice to see a pie, banana bread or muffin (something baked but less dessert-like).

I suspect much of this has to do with the practical realities of the size of the bakeshop - but they do have a whole fridge of packaged products that are not theirs. Why not have more products from the website - like lasagna - ready to go? I would absolutely buy prepared entrees from there.

However, what they do serve is beautifully baked and very tasty. I have no complaints whatsoever with their products. I think it is worth a trip and definitely nice to support a small vegan bakery.

Pros: Beautiful presentation, Excellent taste
Cons: Could use more selection, No seating
MarjorieDarby
MarjorieDarby

If I lived next door, I'd be 500lbs! :-)

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2012

I love, love, love, love Vegan Danish Bakery. I don't get there often enough, but they have delicious, fresh, baked goodies, plus a few vegan alternative products for sale. Just finshed some mini cupcakes, and super-fresh Danish frenchbread. Mmmmmmm... If I lived closer, I could eat like this every day! Soooo glad this store exists!! It's tiny, but worth the trip to north Yonge St. I can't wait 'til vegan soft-serve "ice cream" season returns!

Pros: Vegan!, Delicious!, Good quality!
Cons: Limited selection, Inconvenient location (for me)
maulydaft
maulydaft

It's the best

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2012

I wrote that Rise Above was the best vegan bakery in Ontario, but I forgot about Vegan Danish Bakery! Really their stuff is super good. BUT... I forgot about them when writing about "the best vegan bakery in Ontario" because they are SO FAR. This is also why I've only been there ONCE. So I haven't tried a huge variety of stuff. STILL, I have tried quite a bit considering I've only been there ONCE! :) I still think about the box load of desserts I got after the Veg Pride Parade in 2010. Yowza. Time to go back!

Pros: REALLY GREAT
Cons: Closed Mondays, way way too far from downtown
katgar33
katgar33

You can not believe it is vegan!

5 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2012

We started buying cakes and breads from this bakery last fall (2011) and there is no plan to stop it. We already had their "Chocolate and Cherry" cake for 3 parties with non-vegetarian/vegan friends. They really liked it. The cheese cake and shortbread chocolate cookies are delicious as well. Other than eating delicious treats we few good buying their products as we know we are making a difference for some animals. We are luck having this bakery close to our home. Thanks Shana and family for running it! Katia & Carlos

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, Animal free food
virtualjess
virtualjess

All Vegan Bakery and Truffles- huge selection!

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2011

This bakery is a slice of perfection. literally, a slice- the space is tiny! It's like the Mary Poppins bag of the baking world- it's amazing what they fit in there! Not only do they offer all vegan baked goods and tea, soft-serve and and other portable treats. They also have full cakes, take special orders, have an excellent selection of delicious hand-made truffles and and a freezer full of to-go mains like vegan lasagna or tuna! The staff are soooo friendly and knowledgeable about veganism. They have wild wood yogurt (the best yogurt out there!), Go Max Go chocolate bars, Daiya, Tofurky and Toffutti products. It is definitely worth the trip, and if you're coming in from out of town, feel free to give them a shout first and let them know what you're coming, ask what they have available and consider making a special request.

Pros: Friendly, Great quality, Good selection
ershultz
ershultz

Guilty Pleasures

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2010

The woman working was really nice and knowledgeable about veganism. Since it was a hot summer day, they only had pastries that would be good at room temp (thus no truffles). She said larger counters were in the works and once they had refridgerated counters, they would offer tons of cake options. She gave my boyfriend and I free samples of their delicious chocolate soft serve and a free cinnamon roll becuase it got broken. The butter tart was my favorite, but EVERYTHING i ordered was moist and rich. They also supply tofutti cream cheese and sour cream, daiya cheese, and a vegan frozen tuna that i have heard good things about. Overall great experience and I can't wait until they expand their counter space!!

Pros: Nice people, everything is delicious
Cons: small counters!
Ken4057
Ken4057

We nearly wept

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2010

I'm not going to lie to you. When my partner and I first bit into their freshly baked blueberry danish with icing drizzled all over it, we nearly wept for joy.

Vegan Danish Bakery is in Thornhill, so we took public transit from downtown, a nearly 2 1/2 hour journey altogether, just to come here. It was so beyond worth it!

We had a rich layered mocha cake (again, like being born again), a tall strawberry shortcake (must have been 7 inches high), a raspberry torte (gorgeous) and a chocolate almond biscotti. All were sensational.

The owners are actually Danish, and a family member is a distributor for Ami vegan dog food, so they had the Ami line for sale as well.

Can't wait to go back again and again and again. My new favourite place in the city.

Six stars!

Pros: Heaven, Heaven, Heaven
Cons: tiny, far from downtown

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegan Danish Bakery: