Previously known as The Vegetarian, this restaurant can accommodate varying tastes. Offers nutritious vegan meals in a peaceful island atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Take-out, Caribbean
Cambridge, Black Rock, St. Michael
Bridgetown, Barbados BB12014
246-438-0440

Call for hours - tell us

• Cash only

First Review by BrittanyK
DareelMcBreaks
DareelMcBreaks

Lovely!

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2014

Found this totally by accident when looking for the rum factory. As a vegan it was a really nice surprise. We got served a mix of various super healthy salads and vegetables and falafel like pea based little balls. The whole thing was very tasty and filling. My best meal in Barbados hands down!

SharonSteve
SharonSteve

Well worth it!

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2013

A great place that we found via Happy Cow and followed a previous reviews directions to find it - thank you!
A lovely little relaxed restaurant and Augustinta who runs it is very welcoming and enthusiastic. We had the mixed plate of vegan beauties - we were not disappointed. The food is fabulous and we can't wait to go back! We also bought a takeaway roti from her to eat as a snack later which was soooooo very tasty - make sure you get one!
Augustinta has inspired me to get back home and into the kitchen and experiment with my cooking.
If you don't go anywhere else, try this place and don't be afraid to take meat eaters with you, I don't imagine they will be at all disappointed at all.
Augustinta - thank you, so good to meet you and you are my inspiration!
Sharon and Steve x

Pros: Lovely owner, Relaxed, Excellent value
Cons: It's not in the UK!
kenbarrows1965
kenbarrows1965

In Barbados? Go here

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2012

OK, my group had some trouble finding the place, but that's our fault. (Take the highway by the sea north of Bridgetown, turn right near a building that I think says Work Bench, go until a shopping center is on your left, make that left and go about 1/4 mile and it's on the left.)

Augustine made us feel very welcome. Our plates had a little of everything: squash, plantains, tofu, lentils. We liked it so much we went again two days later. I recommend it in a second.

Pros: good food, good service, good time

SurlyMike
SurlyMike

Worth the short trip north of Bridgetown

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2012

In the span of a week's visit, I knew that I wouldn't have the chance to visit all the veg-friendly places on the island, but the uniformly positive reviews gave prominence to my desire to visit Vegan Cottage...and thank the fates for that. You don't order from a menu, but, instead, receive a set meal (drinks included) from what is available that day. The food is wonderful and the proprietor could not be sweeter. I will point out that the identified location on this site is slightly off: VC is located on the main road perhaps 1/2 mile north of the supermarket.

Miggi
Miggi

Great vegan platters from Vegan Cottage

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2012

We love vegan cottage! We ate there 2 days in a row and had really different but equally tasty and filling platters both times. We also had a freshly made juice with starfruit and ginger and tried the delicious muffins.
It's so good to get a taste of Bajan dishes without having to worry whether stuff will be vegan or not, or support places selling meat, fish and dolphin.
There's a really homely, friendly feel to eating here. The building is an extended house and you can park in the driveway. It's popular with local people and everyone says Good Afternoon to everyone when they come in. There's no rush. There is no menu but they did check whether we liked mock meat things before adding a vegan sausage to the platters.

Directions:
Head north out of Bridgetown on the Spring Garden Highway until you reach the Frank Worrell Roundabout and take the last exit onto Black Rock Main Road. Vegan Cottage is the green-painted house about 200 yards along on the right hand side and has a clear sign when you find it.

They seem to like you to ring and make a reservation but it's not essential.

Pros: All vegan , Friendly people and setting , Good food - good price
Cons: Only open lunchtimes
rbrown
rbrown

AMAZING!!!!

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2011

Absolutely incredible! The two carnivores in our party both agreed they didn't miss meat at all with this meal. The owner is wonderful and the food is out of control good. Make sure to try whatever refreshing drink she has to offer, too!

Pros: Food & drinks, Service
mellymel1
mellymel1

Excellent vegan food. Well worth the drive!

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2011

Had an excellent meal at Vegan Cottage in June 2011. We were offered a vegan platter including roti, vegan sausage, patties and fruit, the flavours were amazing. 2 juices and 2 large meals cost 48BD which is great value (we were also given complimentary cake which was great!)Service was v friendly and welcoming and we wished we could have visited again during our stay as I did struggle to find much vegan food to eat in Barbados other than salad or pasta. Definately worth a visit and great to support a local business. Open Mon-Fri.

Pros: Great food, Great service, Great value
Cons: Slightly tricky to find
BrittanyK
BrittanyK

A Must Stop for Any Vegetarian/Vegan!!!

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2011

My boyfriend and I recently traveled to Barbados from Alaska. Before we left I was really worried about being able to eat the local cuisine due to the abundant amount of seafood featured on just about every menu. Thank god for Vegan Cottage! The food was excellent (we had the sample plate) and the service even better! The owner let us try several bajan drinks and kasava muffins, which is something unheard of in Alaska. If we had been staying closer I would have eaten here every day. We are planning a cruise next winter with Bridgetown as one of the ports and I know that Vegan Cottage will be my first stop!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday April 13, 2011

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Excellent food, Strictly vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegan Cottage: