Vegan Come Koala

Vegan organic fast food with menu items that include hot dogs, burgers, piadinas, crepes and more. Has vegan cheese and salami. Organic beer, wine and fruit juice. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, International, Italian, Juice bar, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Via L'Arancio, 21
Pisa, Italy 56126

Open Mon-Sat 12-9pm, closed Sun.

First Review by TofuCelt
Tara HD
Tara HD

Tiny take-away

2 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2013

There is really nothing special about this place other than it's 100% vegan. It's a tiny take-away where ready-made food (mostly from the supermarket) is warmed up for you. Better than nothing but there is so much good vegan food in Italy that I don't quite see the point in eating convenience food.

Pros: 100% vegan, friendly staff/owner
Cons: convenience food, small portions
Coadey
Coadey

Koalizziamoci!

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

I was lucky enough to visit Vegan Come Koala twice during a visit to Pisa. I was greeted by Marco, one of the owners who has been vegan 10 years and spoke great English.

The motto here is "koalizziamoci" ("koala's come together" or "become a koala"). Koala's are vegan, so this means a place where vegan's are welcome and everyone can learn more about it. :)

There is a lot of variety on the menu; burgers, hot-dogs, pizza, crepes, wraps, panini, raw bars, and an assortment of drinks, including beer and soya cappuccino. All made to order on the spot with your choice of sauce (mayo, tahini, etc). I had a seitan sandwich with Vegusto cheese on fresh bread that was outstanding, and tofu spring rolls that were also lovely.

There's room to seat 4 inside, but 30 meters down the street (to the east) are nice benches and some shade if the shop is busy. Worth a visit!

Pros: Menu variety, Flavors!
Asleep On A Sunbeam
Asleep On A Sunbeam

The only vegan place in town!

3 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2013

Unless you have a car or fancy a bit of cooking, this is your only 100% vegan place in town (at least as far as we could see).
Excitedly we walked into the restaurant, which is very small. We took a look around and had heard that it had terribly graphic posters up. Thank God it did not. The worst was a cow looking at us with the captions:

"A life for a burger...

Are you serious?"
If anything, we were glad to see such blunt yet none stomach churning activism.

FOOD REVIEW:
Very tasty, not the biggest portions. Whilst the food doesn't cost much and is inexpensive, we felt that we could have been given more in the way of filling foods.

The Quinoa burger wasn't the best in terms of flavour. But we bought some uncooked spinach burgers and had them at home, They were brilliant. The hotdogs were a must, and the pizza we had had veg-gusto on it. Perfect!

Unfortunately a lot of the food was simply bought and just cooked. Not masses of it was made in store. Which might go a long way to explaining the difficulty in portion sizes.

We also had chocolate crepes. They were divine.

ATMOSTPHERE:
Not great to be honest. The owner seemed shy at best, and awkward and untalkative at worst. But after our second time in the shop at the very end, I did manage to get a smile out of him. Perhaps he'd had a bad day? Or perhaps that's just how he is?

Probably better for taking food away rather than staying in was my reaction.

LOCATION: Very central, quite near the leaning tower of Pisa. Brilliant!

Overall I'd recommend going to this place if you're in Pisa, but not making a special effort if you're not. But try the spinach burgers, hot dogs and crepes if you go!

Pros: Taste, Location, Price
Cons: Atmosphere, Size, Reliance on shop bought foods
Phoegan12
Phoegan12

Ironic discovery- heaven lead me

5 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

At a non vegan restaurant eating a banana on free wifi looking up vegan places around & just for fun in pisa- only one here & address obviously didnt know, took a stroll outside & came across the street name it looked familar, didnt believe that this could be the street it was in but walked down the street anyway & amazed, jaw dropping discovery it was there-the vegan come koala, walked in- very tiny, & couldnt decide what i wanted still paralysed from the discovery. I ordered a wrap with tempeh, capers, mushroom, beetroot, onion, lettuce, tomato & an amazing spicy ketchup & vegan cheese, it was toasted. Had some good for sale food aswell, biscuits, wine, bars,soft drinks. The place was small, too small for such masterpieces I bought what i thought was chocolate but surprised by small macarons with chocolate filling. The wrap was the best thing i have ever tasted in my life couldnt stop raving about, salivating thinking about it, and only about 3.5 euros, depressed that i probably wont have another one for atleast anpther 5 years. Ladies & gentleman i give you paradise

Pros: Excellent value, Lots of variety, Taste sensation
Himmelblau
Himmelblau

Little vegan heaven

5 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

yesterday, my boyfriend and me ate for lunch and also for dinner at this great vegan restaurant. we have tried 5 different food options (we even have taken some burgers to eat them at the aiport!) - and all tasted great! The "stuff" of the "vegan come koala" are very nice and it was really nice and interesting to talk to them. We hope that the restaurant has a lot of success in the future and that one time we can eat there again when we are back in Pisa! summing up: a huge recommendation!
Go vegan...vegan come Koala :-) !

Pros: Cruelty-free, healthy, extremly friendly
Cons: to small for a dinner inside
sokristina
sokristina

amazing vegan take out!

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2012

We were thrilled to find this little fast food vegan place! The guy was so nice and friendly and the food was amazing. Great veggie burgers with toppings, sandwiches, crepes, etc. We ate there and took some for later! Definately worth stopping by!

Pros: vegan, great food, fast
LucianaMatraiotti
LucianaMatraiotti

really vegan delicious sandwiches

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2012

How delightful to know there is a vegan panineria in my town. Owners are very friendly and give suggestions about what to tske. I had a panino with tempeh, pepper and onions... sublime! and a glass of organic red wine! Really recommended!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, healthy cuisine
Sprout
Sprout

"As vegan as a koala!"

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

The sign outside the establishment had this translation of the restaurant's name, which I found charming. What awaited us inside was most welcome. It's a very small place, and most people stopped by for carry out. I can see grabbing food and going out for a picnic by the leaning tower, but we chose to eat at two of the four bar stools in the place. The young man behind the counter was incredibly sweet and helpful, and he offered to explain any of the ingredients on the menu if we didn't understand the Italian. It's not a huge menu, but there are enough options to please different tastes. I had a salami panini with vegan cheese and it was just delicious. I was also able to choose whatever toppings, such as lettuce, pickles, etc. For dessert we split the chocolate croissant and a type of crepe-like wrap with more melty chocolate (they didn't have "real" crepes available that day, but typically do.) We chatted about veganism in Italy with the man behind the counter and had a nice conversation during our meal. I highly encourage you stop check them out when you're in Pisa!

One minor complaint was that there were some flyers on the walls with some disturbing images of animal abuse in an effort to educate the public about these issues. For me, I'm already batting for the team, so I don't really want to stare at images of cruelty while I sit down for dinner. It's a small personal objection, and it wouldn't keep me from going back or fully recommending that you eat there, too. Maybe next time I will get take-out.

Overall, this was solid vegan food. Hurray for the faux salami!

Pros: faux salami! , friendly, helpful staff, chocolate croissants
SnuggleBear
SnuggleBear

Friendly and off-the main streets in Pisa

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

Pisa was a very happening place on the Monday we found ourselves there. While much of the activity seems to be centered around three general areas in the city, Vegan Come Koala is among these on a less busy street south of the tower and between the main street and university.
The owner is extremely friendly and knows his food very well. He seems really committed to providing the best, most-environmentally/animal-conscious, and healthiest food possible to his customers.
Many of the diners this evening came in and got a quick meal (usually a sandwich) and then left. The place is run entirely by him and is only one small place with four stools and a lot of animal welfare/vegan literature about the place. We had a lot of fun trying out his different creations and talking with him about veganism in Italy (turn s out that we missed a Seitan Festival by one day!). I had a DOUBLE SPECIAL BURGER with Tabasco sauce and a few other interesting additions. We then had some chocolate desserts.
Everything was really great and I suggest that any veg-conscious people stop in this place. It was a very positive and welcoming experience.

Pros: Plenty of Options
ELLIE373
ELLIE373

Fully recommended!

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2012

I live in Pisa and am able to be a vegan thanks to this place!If you are a vegan or vegetarian living in Pisa or visiting Pisa, this place is a must!
I go here nearly every day for lunch, sometimes also for dinner,and have tried most things on the menu - all of which I have found absolutely delicious! I especially recommend the piadinas and the spinach cheese burgers. There is also a wide range of drinks on offer including excellent vegan wine and a range of beers as well as lots of juices and teas. Vegan come Koala is very central and, although small, has a warm and very welcoming atmosphere and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The prices are also very reasonable, in my opinion. Around 4/4.50 euros for most sandwiches or burgers. One more thing - fantastic crepes!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, warm atmosphere
artilibere
artilibere

Great food

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

Great place where you can eat pseudo-junk vegan food.

Is the right friendly place where to relax after a long day.

You can breath mediterranean mood, maybe not so good if you compare with northern european vegan fastfood realities... but if you take it easy, you'll have a great time!!

Pros: good choice, tasty food, good portions
Cons: just opened
TofuCelt
TofuCelt

Below Average

2 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2012

On my recent visit to Pisa with my partner, we decided to have a go at this place. First of all, like nearly everything in Italy, it is way over-priced. It is not cheap as suggested on this site. This place is tiny, barely big enough to fit about 6 people, and it is not a place to go if you want to go out for a nice meal after a long days out sight-seeing. However, it is clean and is a handy place to stop off for a quick bite, even if it is way over-priced. The food is average, very basic and they are tiny proportions, with little substance, barely big enough to fill that gap in your stomach. We ordered two burgers and they were just basically burgers put between two pieces of bread. No 'extras' like sliced tomato, lettuce, etc. Although we found it better than the dreadful vegan place in Florence, it still has very much room for improvement. In fact, we were still hungry after our visit there and ended up getting something else to eat elsewhere. There is also not much choice here, not even chips to go with your burger. Vegan or Vegetarian food should not be an excuse for low quality/value food. I like to support vegetarian/vegan restaraunts where possible. However, it is difficult to do so when these restaraunts do not reward our loyality to them, especially when we bring out non-vegan/vegetarian friends with us. I would only recommend this place if you are desperate for food.

Pros: Fairly central, Clean
Cons: Expensive, Lack of substance, Lack of choice

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegan Come Koala: