CLOSED: Vegan Cafe

Part of the Shanti Yoga Studio in Hiroshima near Parco Building. Address in Japanese: 広島県広島市中区三川町2−20 mondano Bld 2F. THE CAFE PORTION LAST DAY APR 30, 2014 PER ITS WEB MESSAGE. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Japanese

First Review by aikor
UnoCookbook
UnoCookbook

Nice place good vegan food

4 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2014

Friendly and quiet place with only vegan menu formula (soup+rice+salad+choice of 3 different food of the day). Then speak a little english but you can communicate. I found the english menu!

Pros: Good value
Cons: Small portions
iokan
iokan

Worth while

4 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2013

This restaurant advertises on the map tourists get from their hotel or travel office. The ad is in perfect English, but then the trouble starts. It took me TWO DAYS to find this place (well, I went into a store or two while searching). It turns out is not on the main shopping street, but on a paralel street behind it. And it is on the second floor, above a yoga center. No one knows, even stores on the very same block.

Once there no one spoke English and there's no English menu. But like it said in the ad: this is the only place in Hiroshima where one can just order anything and you know it's good. So I just pointed at some random meals and indeed they were all delicious.

Do mind this is more of a cafe/lunchroom than a restaurant. For a full dinner you'd have to order just about anything on the menu. I will certainly return here for lunch and next time I go here for dinner I'll just order a bit more than the set menu. So even though it took me a long time to find, it was certainly worth while.

Pros: great taste, low price, lots of variation on the menu
Cons: hard to find, no English spoken, small portions
lixxylu
lixxylu

Nice food at good price

4 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2013

We visited this restaurant twice for dinner! We tried the pumpkin salad, tofu burger, rice, soup, salad, risotto and pasta to name just a few. The portions are quite small but the food is fairly filling and put together with a lot of care and attention to detail. Unfortunately they had sold out of the cake when we were there, but it looked yummy too!
There is an English menu and the staff can talk pretty good English as well.
The atmosphere is very modern but warm and we saw a wide range of nationalities in there.

Pros: Filling food at good price, Nice staff, Great atmosphere
Cons: Small portions

tblois
tblois

Nice Variety of Vegan food

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2013

The food here was really delicious and they had more choices than a lot of vegetarian restaurants in Japan. They also have a small selection of organic beer from Scotland.

Without a smart phone this was a bit hard to find - it is actually on the street behind Chuo street, about 3 blocks South of Parco (behind the Family Mart on Chuo Street).

Pros: Fresh vegetables, nice atmosphere, delicious beer
Cons: A bit hard to find
mjthomson
mjthomson

oishii!

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2013

A great, jazzy little restaurant in the heart of Hiroshima! Basically you either choose from a dozen "deli" items there are a couple of. set meals. The portions were just right, as was the price - easy to find, open from 11:30 to 9:30 p.m.

Pros: tasty food, perfect portions, lovely environment
leftyeye
leftyeye

Lovely!!

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2013

All the food was really nice, very complete menu, and friendly staff. They spoke some english :)

Pros: Good price, Friendly staff, NIce food
Jan Hicks
Jan Hicks

Delicious!

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2013

We ate lunch here today. I had the deli set with tofu Hamburg steak, bean salad, veggies in miso, soup, omusubi, salad and hibiscus tea. My husband had the risotto set. Both were generous portions, and everything tasted so fresh. We could feel the nutrients going into our bodies! We're here for another couple of days and it was so good, we will go again. The staff are delightful, and if you don't speak Japanese, there is an English menu.

Pros: Local Produce, Healthy Food, Clean Surroundings
Suzbuster
Suzbuster

good food and service!

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

I ate twice here during my two day stay in Hiroshima.

Had the meal set twice but different stuff each time. You get a big bunch of small plates of stuff, all of which are great. It was Y1100 and you get included:

Choice of drink (all non-alcoholic)
Salad (cold or warm)
Soup
Rice ball or bagel
And 3 mini meals (eg lasagne, quiche)

This is super value.

On the second time I also got some take away cakes for my journey to Fukuoka. All super tasty (tho not so cheap as the meal set at Y450 ea.)

I fully recommend eating here.

Pros: food, service, English menu
MtVic
MtVic

Vegan Cafe

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

Found this cafe on one of the local tourist maps. neither my partner nor I speak Japanese, but the menu is entirely vegan, so we could simply take a punt. We had the rice set menu lunch. It was tasty and reasonably priced.

Puma_concolor
Puma_concolor

Very nice cafe

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2011

After having trouble all around japan, to find somewhere where I could get some veggies I stumbled upon this cafe and it really fulfilled all my eating desires. It was fresh (therefore I had to wait a while), and the atmosphere was nice. The staff was friendly and I am really sorry that the curry was so filling I couldn`t try one of their delicious looking cakes.
The only trouble was finding it, but after I asked for directions I was there.

Shauna333
Shauna333

Vegan Cafe, Hiroshima

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2010

It was really easy to find (I put the address into Google Map and found a route there from our hostel) and is up on the 1st floor of a building, with a board out to let you know it's there.

The staff spoke little English but were lovely, helpful and friendly. Everything was cooked fresh and so there was a little wait, but you're kept entertained with movies being projected onto the wall (we watched the Moomins one evening!). We ordered a dinner set with amazing vegetable soup, tea and a main course of veggies, salad and a burger. It was very filling with generous portions. Everyone else eating there was Japanese and it's a young and friendly crowd. We went back another day for a takeaway and they put an icepack in with our chocolate and banan cake to keep it cool on the journey.

I really recommend this place as Maison de Croissant is only open for lunch and this the Vegan Cafe has long opening hours, an English menu, large portions of food, fresh veggies and friendly staff. Next time I'm in Hiroshima I'll be going back!

Pros: English menu, Easy to find , Long opening hours
Cons: Long wait for food
aikor
aikor

Nice find

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2010

I've had many nice lunches from Shanti Cafe. The food is skillfully prepared, reasonably priced, simple, healthful, and tasty. Don't expect to go away stuffed; the lunch portions are medium-sized.

The decor is clean and natural. They usually have an old movie showing, and some music.

The staff members have always been sweet and happy to see me, maybe because they're grateful for business of any sort? I've never seen the place with more than a few other people there, and sometimes I've been the only customer. I wish more people in Japan were interested in veganism and would support places like this. We need more of them!

Pros: Friendly staff, Healthy, tasty food, Relaxing
Cons: Portions on the smaller side

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Vegan Cafe: