Offers bargain lunch specials. Formerly called Chinese Healthy Vegetarian Food. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Buffet, Asian

Veganswife
Veganswife

Interesting, tasty and inexpensive

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2014

My husband and I are regulars at Vegan Buffet. The owners/chefs know us and their other regulars by name and welcome us warmly. The buffet includes a wide variety of hot dishes, international but with a South and South East Asian influence. My favourites are the pumpkin balls, a layered bake with a coconut rice topping and a shepherd pie-like bake with a sweet potato topping, and roast vegetables liberally favoured with cumin and other spices. There are plenty of fresh greens on offer and tofu dishes. I am personally not keen on 'manufactured' vegan 'meats' made of gluten and/or soy, although many vegans seem to like them. These are include de in the buffet, but there is so much on offer that I can easily avoid them. Vegan cheesecake is just usually available for dessert, although I usually find I am so satisfied with my lunch I couldn't manage dessert. Open for dinner on Fridays only. Food is sold by weight and very reasonably priced. As retirees, we usually eat our main meal at midday, so this lunch venue is a favourite and we eat there about once a week.

Pros: Tasty, wide variety of vegan dishes, Friendly staff, Central location and inexpensive
schumacher62
schumacher62

so happy to find this oasis

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2014

in the new zealand land of food courts and kebab houses, what a score this place is!

freshly hand made deliciousness served buffet style and charged by the ounce or kilo or weight of some sort. maybe ten different items in the buffet, tofu and wheat gluten both, as well as vegetables, fritters, rice and noodle dishes.

though we got there right at opening, the rice was not ready for another 20 minutes so we skipped waiting for it. not sure, but i believe its only white rice. cant be positive.

no alcohol served which is great. the counter person was a happy smiling healthy 50 year old man, a testament to the healty food he serves.

a heaping full plate costs about what any other place in nz would charge for a main dish. under $15 for sure.

not oily, not salty, not gooey. great tasting food and i really wish i could ever go there again, but i was just passing through sadly...open till 3, so dinner was out of the question or i would have taken us back! 5 stars from me and the boyfriend!

Pros: ultra fresh, quiet and peaceful, buffet style, sold by weight, two blocks from the main downtown street
Cons: maybe not all items are available early, green tea was just fair
Richard S
Richard S

Excellent, delicious, friendly

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2013

Just fantastic. Friendly, delicious food, wonderful service and a clean, lovely environment. Can't recommend highly enough.

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent value, Amazing staff
Cons: Other restaurants aren't like this one, It spoils other restaurants for me, It isn't 24 hours

catstack
catstack

Great food at a good price

Posted on 02 / 13 / 2013

I ate there twice with a couple days in between each time. There was around 12 or different items you could load up your plate with. All of them looked freshly cooked. I tried about 10 different things and all of them were great. I had two good size plates of food for just over $12NZD.

Pros: all vegan, lots of options, cheap
CharlotteHamilton
CharlotteHamilton

Great and getting better and better!

Posted on 11 / 27 / 2012

We have been loyal customers (on Friday nights, mainly) for years and years - the food is still getting better (!) and even more interesting, with choices varying a little from week to week. Definitely recommend!

lorettainnz
lorettainnz

Wonderful vegan restaurant in Hamilton NZ.

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2011

This very clean reasonably priced restaurant has great selection of vegan dishes, and the friendliest staff you would meet anywhere. Especially Shine who goes out of her way to memorise every customers name. Usually customers get a free cup of Jasmine green tea with their meal ( when the place is not too too busy). I recommend very highly and it is my favourite restaurant.

Pros: friendly, clean, good price
Cons: not open long hours
EmmaKatie
EmmaKatie

DELICIOUS!

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2011

I am so happy I found this place. The food is absolutely delicious and it is very cheap! I took my parents when they came to visit. My Dad, who likes a good bit of meat, couldn't believe it was vegan. He also couldn't believe how full he felt afterwards. It is definitely my favourite place to eat. Looking forward to the next time I go :) Yum yum! The staff are wonderful too. They add to the great food experience.

Pros: Friendly staff, Amazing food, Healthy
Cons: Only open lunch and late Friday
vampkiss
vampkiss

Bestest

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2011

I went here based on the reviews and am in total agreement the food is fantastic good buffet selection I couldnt even fit a bit of everything in my take out container I would need two! the staff are the nicest people. You can also purchase vegetarian meat alternatives I am hooked

SydneyMaureen
SydneyMaureen

Excellent Food & Lovely Staff

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2010

This place is brilliant, the food is the best, at least 12 different yummy dishes to choose from. Pay by weight for eat-in or take away NZ$14.50 per kg when we were there last week during a 10 day trip to NZ from Sydney. We got 10 containers of take-aways weighing 4.6kg for NZ$67, Susan one of the staff gave us a free big bag of mandarines, staff are so lovely here, so friendly & nice. The take-aways lasted us for 3 big meals, the food as well as being the tastiest is excellent value for money. Although there are plenty of eats to choose from our favourites were the curried potatoes, brown fried rice with dinky little diced veggies, pumpkin patties, mutli veggie spicy rissoles & the steamed brocolli with carrots & red capsicum. This is the second time we have been here & will keep going back whenever we are on the North Island.

Pros: Great food, very friendly staff, excellent value
myomoto jah nori
myomoto jah nori
  • raw

THE BEST.....

Posted on 12 / 26 / 2009

Totally agree with the above, DELICIOUS.
We are huge eaters and our plants only weighed $10, with my wifes weighing in at $11 but well worth it.
We were totally full and it was scumptious.
Friendly, beautifully healthy looking staff who also chatted with us after closing.
But as above if it's dinner you have in mind early Friday only, or have your main meal at lunch time. Well worth it.
10 / 10

GO VEGAN...

Pros: Delicious, not over processed, Cheap and super friendly
ampallang
ampallang

Tastest food in NZ

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2008

Ate there for only $7 with a full plate with many choices. Probably 6 different dishes I had. Very nice. Lovely owners who talked with us after they closed and gave us a free chinese tea. Only sad thing is they close around 3:30pm apart from friday. And no organic or natural juices in fridge. Best vegan food in Nz and worth it!!!

Pros: tasty food, very cheap, wonderful staff
Cons: short hours, limited bevrages

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegan Buffet: